proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
alfonseexists
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
Why did you get your M4? What others did you look at?

If this topic has been beaten to death, please let me know and I'll delete.

As the subject says, why the M4? Everyone is coming from a different place when they get a car, I'm simply curious...

Me...

I always put my love for cars on a lower priority list then job, family, kids and music (Although I dont make my living playing guitar, I do get paid handsomely to do so). I would get the best I was willing to spend money on, yet be able to do stuff with the kids and music. The kids are gone, Im retired and I inherited a Honda mini van (Strip out the seats and the vehicle is incredible to load in and load out including dealing with a pa system.. Blows EVERY suv away in terms of load in and load out.)
So I finally was able to get rid of the SUV and get something I wanted.
My priority in terms of car is the behind the wheel and driving experience. A younger version of myself spent much time road racing a very modified MG-B. It was fun.. much fun, but way expensive and I grew tired of spending hours fixing stuff. Driving the car is what matters to me.. looking at it way less so. I also vastly prefer manual transmissions. I can heel and toe just like Senna .. okay probably not as well..lol

So I went from an SUV to an Audi S4 with a manual. In its price range and performance were a good match for the time, but I grew very bored with its performance and it simply was too removed from the rawness I want in a car. Its Dynamic mode is okay, the other modes are useless. And Audi is Automatic only now. Also hard car to heel and toe and the manual just wasnt precise enough. I also did not want all wheel drive.. Im tired of understeer (even with the sport diff)

If you've seen Carlos Lago's Edmunds review on the BMW m4 competition package with a manual (the car I own), he's pretty much right (some of the things he has issues with can easily be coded.. the drone from the lameass ASD can be shut off, the drivers seat will go back when you open the door and back up when you close it) There are more, faster and less expensive track oriented street cars (A camaro ZL1, GT350) The Camaro ZL1 is a monster but honestly visibility truly sucks.. fun car though.. drive it), The vet grandsport (Too Wide, too big), better 1/4 mile cars(Hellcat, Mustangs) and more luxurious fast sports coupes for the money(AMG C63s, Automatic only) and the M4 is somewhere in between all of those. I looked at all those and almost ordered a porsche cayman GTS, but realized I would like to be able to do acoustic gigs (where I dont need to bring much of a pa) with the car.. that killed the Porsche. That car is a lot of fun to drive.. Yeah the engine sound is subaru like. Drive it on a twisty road.. it is awesome for that. It's totally about enjoying the drive. everything else is secondary.. to me.

Once I drove an M4 with the comp pack and a manual, I knew it was simply right for me. It is the right amount of raw yet kind of practical as well. The m3 was more practical but i rarely carry more than one passenger, the M4 just was right. Although Ive only had it for about a month, Im happy with the decision. The more I drive it, the more I know I made the right decision.

Why do you have an M3/M4? What else did you drive and consider?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

M3/M4 has a reputation for its own. Its one the best sport/luxury/performance vehicle you can buy. Its just a feeling and way it drives and handle. No one can come even close. Other can copy it but BMW is BMW and M is on top of pyramid.

I did test drive other cars and had my options open before buying M4. But I went with M and its prestige, its quality, following and "crazy" boy image that M gives out over Mercedes's AMGs and Audi's RSs

Before purchasing of M4, I test drive: Mercedes-AMG C63S, Porsche 911 GTS, Audi S5 (RS5 was not available).

I won't buy AMG/RS over M.
I love Porsche but only will buy 911 GT3 (which was not available and wait time for over a year). So I settle with M4, 100% happy and satisfied. No complaints at all!!
Appreciate 1
zamboni1127.50
      04-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Perfect daily for me. I average over 20 MPG in the city, it's stick shift, it's fast and comfy plus it handles like no other and I love the interior and the heritage. I always wanted my first BMW to be an M and I achieved that! I love how aggressive, wide, and low this car is too and it looks fantastic from every angle.

I test drove a c43 AMG and a S4, came from an Infiniti Q50 Redsport
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Dos Lobos
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 Sakhir Orange

I wasn't looking for a new car when I got my M4.

I've had a series of BMWs and was asked by my parents to go look at car that they were considering.

So, Saturday morning I go to the dealership with my wife and parents to look at "their" car. I see the M4 (F83) sitting on the showroom floor. As it turns out, my parents decide to purchase their car. So, while they are doing the paperwork, my wife and I take the M4 for a test drive. It was a PERFECT fall day and we had the top down on the test drive. We get back to the dealership and as we are pulling in my wife says "You can get it if you want."

Greatest. Wife. Ever.
Appreciate 8
      04-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
AJDE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15 m4

I was looking for a new car to replace my old Bmw.
I was positive I was going to get the new Honda Civic hatchback..test drove it and the drive was nice. Before I decided to get the Honda I stopped by a few dealers to just browse around and when I got to the Bmw dealer I saw the f82 sitting there..test drove it and next thing you know I was signing papers for it lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I was looking to upgrade from my 350Z. I was set on a RC F when I test drove it, obviously with that being a few tiers above what I'm used to. I really wanted an orange one, and at the time they were hard to come by, so I kept waiting. Eventually after doing more research on a GT350 (other cars in this category/price range with a V8, I decided to shift my focus towards that. It felt like the logical lateral move (high performance track focused car that only came in manual) and high revving V8. At the time, the M4 was on the back burner, having not test driven one yet so I didn't really think much of it.

One day I was bored so I looked up used GT350s and M4s and I found a dealer with both of them in stock at the same time, so I went to test drive both cars. I drove the M4 1st and it completely blew my expectations away. Power delivery (turbos) was a definite plus over the V8s I was looking at. Then after the M4, I tested out the GT350 and immediately got disappointed. Lack of power down low, and very slow rev (maybe super heavy flywheel) which made it not feel as sporty as my 350Z w/ a light weight flywheel. Drove it around and just felt like the M4 ruined the GT350 for me.

I'm sure on a race track scenario, the GT350 would beat the base M4, but realistically it isn't where the car I buy would be seeing most of it's time. So I decided to go on a conquest to find a loaded M4. Being early 30's at that time, I decided the M4 was a better choice of a car, as it's more luxurious and classy. GT350 probably made more sense if I was in my 20s. RC F just had a horrible infotainment system that I could not get over. And it was no comparison for the M4. M4 seemed like the best of both worlds, being powerful (underrated), and luxurious. I was also on the fence about not having manual, but after driving the DCT I decided it was better not having to deal with aging synchros and not getting into gear. And luckily very easily tune-able now that the OBD2 flash tunes came out. Did not take that into account prior to my purchase, but I'm definitely glad I went with this car.
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

German. Manual transmission. 4 doors. Pretty much it
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

There wasnt a 3 in lot so 4 was it
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #9
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

Bmw makes great “base” cars.. like a gateway drug that makes you want more. I had a 428i gran coupe (which I loved) and one day I decided to test drive an M4. 2 weeks later I bought one and I am on my 2nd m4!

Reputation, looks and speed of the m3/m4 made it one of my dream cars to own.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Bch53211
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
For me it was first and foremost the looks. I feel it’s the best looking car in its class by far. Second is the driving experience. I am now shopping for a new car as my lease ends soon . I test drive a amg c 43 and the instant I left the lot I knew it wasn’t close. It’s hard to describe but it just didn’t have a the solid and refined “feel” that my M has, plus less power and torque. Third was value. I really like the looks and v8 power in the amg c63 but the lease terms are terrible, they must have a low residual value because it was 300$ more a month with more down for a similarly priced car. Looks, value and performance. For me nothing can touch the M3/4 in these categories. I am ordering a new m3 with comp and exec packages today (as long as my dealer can provide me a build). Otherwise there is one at a dealership 91 miles north of me that I have my eye on. If my dealer cannot provide me a production number today I’m driving up north tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was looking at a 3 series prior to buying my 2004 G35. I have always had a thing for BMWs and M cars. But they were always just out of reach. Then when it was time to unload the G35 I was seriously considering an M235. But it was just a tad too small. I need room for golf clubs. So I considered a 435 with sport package and all the bits that would make it my M435. But the price approached the M4. Maybe that is BMWs marketing strategy? I look forward to getting behind the wheel every day. I never considered another brand. I wanted a manual so that helped make the decision easy. I never test drove the M4. I knew that was the car I wanted.
      04-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I've wanted to do euro delivery of an M car for a very long time, so I ordered it up with a test drive

Bucket list item checked off
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

An M3 is a car I've always wanted, so when the opportunity arose I got one.
Appreciate 2
zamboni1127.50
      04-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
m4likf82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

I was initially looking for a coupe in MT to replace my 13' A5. But I was looking for something actually fun to drive.
I test drove the M235i, M4 , 981 cayman GTS, 911 C2S, Camaro SS and corvette all in stick shift.
The 981 cayman was really the front runner but wasn't practical in terms of space.
My new car would be my daily and there had to be some compromise.
The M4 has this dual personality. It can be super chill and luxurious but at the push of a button it becomes the polar opposite and just mobs for days. I track it and then drive home, no issues. The M4 also has mods available. It fits 4 ppl properly and has a full trunk (I liked that about the A5).
Since I got it I haven't looked back... unless its at the car after parking it lol. Best car I've owned.
Also this forum also had a lot to do with getting the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
GnoiXiaK
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deteria View Post
I was looking to upgrade from my 350Z. I was set on a RC F when I test drove it, obviously with that being a few tiers above what I'm used to. I really wanted an orange one, and at the time they were hard to come by, so I kept waiting. Eventually after doing more research on a GT350 (other cars in this category/price range with a V8, I decided to shift my focus towards that. It felt like the logical lateral move (high performance track focused car that only came in manual) and high revving V8. At the time, the M4 was on the back burner, having not test driven one yet so I didn't really think much of it.

One day I was bored so I looked up used GT350s and M4s and I found a dealer with both of them in stock at the same time, so I went to test drive both cars. I drove the M4 1st and it completely blew my expectations away. Power delivery (turbos) was a definite plus over the V8s I was looking at. Then after the M4, I tested out the GT350 and immediately got disappointed. Lack of power down low, and very slow rev (maybe super heavy flywheel) which made it not feel as sporty as my 350Z w/ a light weight flywheel. Drove it around and just felt like the M4 ruined the GT350 for me.

I'm sure on a race track scenario, the GT350 would beat the base M4, but realistically it isn't where the car I buy would be seeing most of it's time. So I decided to go on a conquest to find a loaded M4. Being early 30's at that time, I decided the M4 was a better choice of a car, as it's more luxurious and classy. GT350 probably made more sense if I was in my 20s. RC F just had a horrible infotainment system that I could not get over. And it was no comparison for the M4. M4 seemed like the best of both worlds, being powerful (underrated), and luxurious. I was also on the fence about not having manual, but after driving the DCT I decided it was better not having to deal with aging synchros and not getting into gear. And luckily very easily tune-able now that the OBD2 flash tunes came out. Did not take that into account prior to my purchase, but I'm definitely glad I went with this car.

You and I had the exact opposite scenario! I drove an M4 with DCT (might have been the issue) and I hated it. Tested a Gt350 and I got all the way to the paperwork when the Fiancee took a look and vetoed. Said it attracted too much attention, it was black with red strips, mean looking thing. I wound up looking at a M3 with a 6spd. That 6spd changed everything, at least for me, and I got a great deal so I went for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnoiXiaK View Post
You and I had the exact opposite scenario! I drove an M4 with DCT (might have been the issue) and I hated it. Tested a Gt350 and I got all the way to the paperwork when the Fiancee took a look and vetoed. Said it attracted too much attention, it was black with red strips, mean looking thing. I wound up looking at a M3 with a 6spd. That 6spd changed everything, at least for me, and I got a great deal so I went for it.
6-speed FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #17
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

I chose an M3 for a variety of reasons:

1) Needed a 4 door family daily driver

2) 6 Speed Manual

3) Needed a low key daily driver for work (I took serious flack when I first rolled up in a new 435i, but now that people are used to it and have no idea what an "M" model is, it's an easy sell to debadge it and say it's a 4 door family car).

4) Wanted a German car & in my opinion BMW is the most sport/track oriented & aggressive/athletic looking.

5) Wanted a car I could track a few weekends a year.

That's all I can think of for now......
Appreciate 1
zamboni1127.50
      04-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #18
Nosewheelie
M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 & 2001 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I needed a 4 door, wanted heated steering wheel, RWD with LSD and something I'd enjoy driving through all 4 seasons and I needed to be able to put trailer hitch on for my bike rack.

I have an '01 M3 which I love (original owner) and I had an '11 BMW 335 iX which I despised. I had driven a few new 3 and 4 series cars and was unimpressed... I had given up on RWD and was zeroing in on Audi S4 and oddly enough Volvo Polestar wagon which was quite fun.

I stumbled upon a 2016 M3 with CF roof, all the options I wanted, 6 MT, Dinan intake, exhaust and S2 tune, and only 9K miles at a great price. I took it out for a drive purposely on lousy roads and was blown away by ride quality. I bought the car, disabled the active sound on day 1 of ownership and it's a fantastic car - quiet until you get into it (or start it) and great performance. It doesn't have the steering feel of my '01 but it's my go to car for commuting or trips and leave the '01 for track duties.

Definitely worth the look!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
alfonseexists
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4likf82 View Post
I was initially looking for a coupe in MT to replace my 13' A5. But I was looking for something actually fun to drive.
I test drove the M235i, M4 , 981 cayman GTS, 911 C2S, Camaro SS and corvette all in stick shift.
The 981 cayman was really the front runner but wasn't practical in terms of space.
My new car would be my daily and there had to be some compromise.
The M4 has this dual personality. It can be super chill and luxurious but at the push of a button it becomes the polar opposite and just mobs for days. I track it and then drive home, no issues. The M4 also has mods available. It fits 4 ppl properly and has a full trunk (I liked that about the A5).
Since I got it I haven't looked back... unless its at the car after parking it lol. Best car I've owned.
Also this forum also had a lot to do with getting the car.
I was going to order a cayman gts but backed away for the same reason that you did. I love my m4 but I’ll admit I’ll second guess myself for a while. What a great back road cruiser the cayman is.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #20
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I have a friend that tries hard to buy whatever i buy, or anything i like. I had an E92 335i and one day he buys the same car, same color, almost same everything. I put my E92 up for sale and that weekend i go to the BMW dealership and have them do a dealer trade for the M4 i wanted that was in another state. Got the M4 almost 2 weeks later and drove it for the first time after signing papers. I didn't get a chance to test drive first, nor did i look at other cars. Now that i think about it, i should have checked out the RCF first if i wasn't such an impulse buyer. Love how the RCF looks. Just it not having a MT option was a deal breaker.
16 F82 M4 Frequency Intelligent F1 Exhaust - VRSF downpipes - BBS CI-R custom finish - H&R Springs - Injen DCI intake - CG Precision Valve Controller - BootMod3 full E85 - Custom Roll Cage - Varis Diffuser - PSM GT Wing - V style Lip
https://www.instagram.com/m4_teh/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #21
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
RS5, C63 S AMG. Happy I went with M3.

RS5 is cool but 15-20k more. I am excited to see the car's performance after tuners up the boost.

AMG sounds great and has a nice interior but it's too tame as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #22
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I want a dual use car, a practical daily driver and track car. The M3/4 have fit that bill perfectly for me since my first M3 in 2001. There are others in the segment (RS5/C63S/ATS-V/Giulia-QV) that offer equivalent or better daily practicality, but there are no other that are as track ready as the M3/4. The M3/4 offer the perfect blend of 4-season daily practicality, luxury, comfort and track readiness for my needs, hence my choice.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0