GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #2399
Tepr05
Private
5
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i, 2017 F80
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
I can't back my F80 into a parking spot for shit. I don't know if it's the curvature of the hood, slant of the window line, seating position, or what, but I'm consistently crooked and have to correct. I'll swear I'm in straight, but when I check the top-down camera, I'm crooked as hell. Especially bad when it's a spot with no cars next to it to reference off of. It's embarrassing, actually.
+1
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #2400
RickFLM4
Colonel
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
1543
Rep
2,237
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
I can't back my F80 into a parking spot for shit. I don't know if it's the curvature of the hood, slant of the window line, seating position, or what, but I'm consistently crooked and have to correct. I'll swear I'm in straight, but when I check the top-down camera, I'm crooked as hell. Especially bad when it's a spot with no cars next to it to reference off of. It's embarrassing, actually.
Just use the overhead camera when backing in.
__________________
2015 Sakhir Orange M4 Coupe, DCT, CCB, Adaptive Suspension, 19" black wheels, Exec/DA+/LED Lighting pkg, SO / Black full leather, CF trim, CF roof, HK Sound, SunTek PPF, Spectra Photsync 35%
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #2401
stooker
F80 n00b
stooker's Avatar
United Kingdom
657
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 (US spec) / '06 S2K
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Just use the overhead camera when backing in.
Actually, is there a way to keep the overhead on in reverse? Every time I put it in reverse, the backup camera activates.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #2402
'Cane
Major
'Cane's Avatar
United_States
243
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 SS/SO
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Actually, is there a way to keep the overhead on in reverse? Every time I put it in reverse, the backup camera activates.
Press down on the iDrive controller to switch between views.
IIRC, it defaults to the last view used.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #2403
backagain
just a fool
backagain's Avatar
China
149
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: 2016 SO coded M3
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Press down on the iDrive controller to switch between views.
IIRC, it defaults to the last view used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Actually, is there a way to keep the overhead on in reverse? Every time I put it in reverse, the backup camera activates.
Believe the '18 models have been changed to always defaulting to the backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #2404
stooker
F80 n00b
stooker's Avatar
United Kingdom
657
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 (US spec) / '06 S2K
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Believe the '18 models have been changed to always defaulting to the backup camera.
Dammit Jim!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #2405
JibSTir13
Lieutenant
169
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F80 ZCP / FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
I can't back my F80 into a parking spot for shit. I don't know if it's the curvature of the hood, slant of the window line, seating position, or what, but I'm consistently crooked and have to correct. I'll swear I'm in straight, but when I check the top-down camera, I'm crooked as hell. Especially bad when it's a spot with no cars next to it to reference off of. It's embarrassing, actually.
LMFAO, I've been having this problem too.

Never had this problem with any other car I've driven/owned.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #2406
stooker
F80 n00b
stooker's Avatar
United Kingdom
657
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: '18 F80 (US spec) / '06 S2K
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Believe the '18 models have been changed to always defaulting to the backup camera.
Figured out a way to use the top down while reversing but takes some going through the I drive controller. Kinda cumbersome. Iím going to have to fiddle with it some more to see if thereís a quicker way to toggle between views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepr05 View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
LMFAO, I've been having this problem too.

Never had this problem with any other car I've driven/owned.
Dang, glad Iím not alone on this. Thought I was going crazy for a minute.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #2407
M4Vol
Private
M4Vol's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Figured out a way to use the top down while reversing but takes some going through the I drive controller. Kinda cumbersome. Iím going to have to fiddle with it some more to see if thereís a quicker way to toggle between views.
Yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints with my M4. In our 2013 X5 w/ iDrive 4, all you have to do to switch between reverse cam & overhead view is press down on the controller. Really easy to switch & use overhead when backing in.

Not sure why BMW decided to require multiple actions in iDrive 5/6 to do the same thing. There doesn't seem to be a way to set a shortcut button for it, either.
__________________
2018 ///M4 6MT/Tanzanite Blue/Black Full Leather
2013 X5 3.5i Sport Activity
2007 530i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #2408
ReddsektoR
Driver
ReddsektoR's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

I learned just how poor the general public knowledge is of an M car.


Most times I say I drive an M4, they're like huh? I have to explain how it's a higher variant of the 4 series, and what M models are in general, etc etc ....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #2409
Sco Cuddie
Second Lieutenant
21
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

I learned that I waited to long to buy one. 2nd day of ownership of my new M3, and I couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #2410
Ben Overlake
Banned
91
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddsektoR View Post
I learned just how poor the general public knowledge is of an M car.


Most times I say I drive an M4, they're like huh? I have to explain how it's a higher variant of the 4 series, and what M models are in general, etc etc ....
It's a souped up 4-series. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #2411
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
Crazykoh's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
I can't back my F80 into a parking spot for shit. I don't know if it's the curvature of the hood, slant of the window line, seating position, or what, but I'm consistently crooked and have to correct. I'll swear I'm in straight, but when I check the top-down camera, I'm crooked as hell. Especially bad when it's a spot with no cars next to it to reference off of. It's embarrassing, actually.
Don't back in. The preferred technique:

__________________
2018 F80 M3, Mineral White, Full Sakhir Orange, ZCP
2015 F15 X5 35i, Mineral Silver, Terra Dakota (Retired)
2012 E89 Z4 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Walnut Kansas (Retired)
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #2412
M3NDOZA
New Member
13
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

I have had my car for a month now. And just realized there is volume control buttons on the steering wheel.... and the little scroll wheel can be used to change radio stations.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #2413
Gibson6594
Major
576
Rep
1,065
Posts

Drives: 2016 SO M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NDOZA View Post
I have had my car for a month now. And just realized there is volume control buttons on the steering wheel.... and the little scroll wheel can be used to change radio stations.

It also has a push button start.
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2017, 02:45 AM   #2414
M-Nuts
Private
7
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

If you press the engine start button when driving the engine WILL turn off, I did on the highway and it scared the piss out of me, press it again the engine will turn back on.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #2415
HitemStr8
New Member
3
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO F82
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

That if you have a Valentine 1 and mount it at the top of the windshield above the rear view that the new IDrive screen trips the V1’s laser warning system and basically renders it useless as it has “Laser” false alarms regularly. Valentine 1 does not have an update or fix. Anyone else experience this? Fix?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #2416
pheerlx
M n00b
pheerlx's Avatar
United_States
707
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nuts View Post
If you press the engine start button when driving the engine WILL turn off, I did on the highway and it scared the piss out of me, press it again the engine will turn back on.
Wow I would have expected the opposite. What happens in a DCT when you turn on the engine at speed?
__________________
2018 M3 SSII/Black/6MT/ZCP/ZEC
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #2417
666MorDeath
#BWOAH
666MorDeath's Avatar
57
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: M4 ZCP Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tarheel State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
I can't back my F80 into a parking spot for shit. I don't know if it's the curvature of the hood, slant of the window line, seating position, or what, but I'm consistently crooked and have to correct. I'll swear I'm in straight, but when I check the top-down camera, I'm crooked as hell. Especially bad when it's a spot with no cars next to it to reference off of. It's embarrassing, actually.
What's reverse?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #2418
M-Nuts
Private
7
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Wow I would have expected the opposite. What happens in a DCT when you turn on the engine at speed?
I think DCT remained engaged when you turn engine back on it's already in gear, what I didn't try is if I lost hydraulic braking
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #2419
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
4489
Rep
13,393
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.29]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nuts View Post
I think DCT remained engaged when you turn engine back on it's already in gear, what I didn't try is if I lost hydraulic braking
And why would you lose “hydraulic braking” ?
__________________
2015 F82 M4
Silverstone / Silverstone / DCT / EDC
MPE / CF Diffuser / CF Mirror caps / CF spoiler / GC Camber plates / Eibach springs
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #2420
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
Vectors2final's Avatar
United_States
782
Rep
3,129
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Vol View Post
Yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints with my M4. In our 2013 X5 w/ iDrive 4, all you have to do to switch between reverse cam & overhead view is press down on the controller. Really easy to switch & use overhead when backing in.

Not sure why BMW decided to require multiple actions in iDrive 5/6 to do the same thing. There doesn't seem to be a way to set a shortcut button for it, either.
My 2015 would allow you to pick a default to rear or top.
__________________
Delivered: 2018 F80 Part Deux /DCT /YMB /Full SS /CF Trim /ZCP /ZEC w/Black 666M

SOLD: 2015 F80 /DCT /YMB /Full SS /CF Trim /ZEC /ZLP /HK /S&TVC- 18''///M

V2F's Yas Journal
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST