EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
braylark
braylark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Question Performance Upgrade Recommendations - Atlanta

Hey guys,

I have a 2015 M4 6MT Sakhir/Sakhir thats completely stock when it comes to performance enhancements. I am looking to change that and would like some input on what I can do to get the most out of my vehicle for a fair price. I live in atlanta so any shop referrals would be welcome. The ultimate goal would be to be in the 500+ hp range and get closer to the v8 deep sound that I love.

I've been debating on the JB4 with downpipes but if there is a better alternative then I am all ears. If I could stay under $3k that would be ideal

For those familiar with a JB4 + downpipes setup ... how much horsepower would that ideally bump the vehicle up to? Thanks in advance to any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F80 M3

Bm3 stage 2 .. if I could do it again that's the route I would of taken .. 500whp smooth delivery GTS burbs
Appreciate 2
braylark115.00
farbmw421.50
      11-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Do a flash tune. Much smoother than JB4, plus you can get cool GTS features like burble, start-up, and power gauges.

But to answer your question, JB4 + DP on Map 2 will yield you at/above/around 500whp (depending on the dyno and weather).

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 1
braylark115.00
      11-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

There's peak power, and there's consistent and usable power. Don't let numbers alone dictate your decision making process.

Flash tuning for the F8X is finally at the point where you get both. There's two primary players in the game right now and both seem great. If you want turn key, set it and forget it, with the most authentic GTS features I'd go with HEX all over again. If you think you'lol ever want customization and tuneability because you have access to a good local dyno shop and tuner, bootmod3 seems to have a good package for that and are learning as they go.
Appreciate 1
braylark115.00
      11-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #5
braylark
braylark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastS4 View Post
There's peak power, and there's consistent and usable power. Don't let numbers alone dictate your decision making process.

Flash tuning for the F8X is finally at the point where you get both. There's two primary players in the game right now and both seem great. If you want turn key, set it and forget it, with the most authentic GTS features I'd go with HEX all over again. If you think you'lol ever want customization and tuneability because you have access to a good local dyno shop and tuner, bootmod3 seems to have a good package for that and are learning as they go.
I think for my needs the set it and forget it would be ideal ... however as for getting a deeper tone would this upgrade suffice or would there be another recommendation ? I'll have to do more research on HEX as this is the first time I'm hearing about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by braylark View Post
I think for my needs the set it and forget it would be ideal ... however as for getting a deeper tone would this upgrade suffice or would there be another recommendation ? I'll have to do more research on HEX as this is the first time I'm hearing about it.
I would definitely suggest doing the tune BEFORE doing any exhaust modifications. If you like the sound that the HEX Tune offers, you'll be saving yourself some cash!

Here's the HEX Tuning Thread - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1258574

This video in particular shows off the change in tone really well.
Appreciate 1
braylark115.00
      11-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #7
braylark
braylark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would definitely suggest doing the tune BEFORE doing any exhaust modifications. If you like the sound that the HEX Tune offers, you'll be saving yourself some cash!
I think I'm sold on the HEX Tune ... thanks for the input. The HEX tune with a set of downpipes might be all I will ever need when it comes to performance. I need to find a nice carbon fiber package to finish the look now.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
SloTUrtle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Heard a lot of good things about the guys over at Solo Motorsports to help you out with this.
      11-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloTUrtle
Heard a lot of good things about the guys over at Solo Motorsports to help you out with this.
should be taking delivery of my m3 today that has a solo motorsports DME tune, will post up thoughts after getting behind the driver's seat!
Appreciate 1
braylark115.00
      11-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #10
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To answer your question about sound, no tune is going to change the sound of the exhaust. Only exhaust modifications will do that.

Flash tunes can make the exhaust burble and pop but it won't make it deeper.

If you're looking for a good exhaust setup without paying thousands, do catless dps and put an xpipe in place of the resonator. I did this and everyone in my area started doing it lol really does sound good..and it can be had for less than $1k all installed/welded.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 1
braylark115.00
      11-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
braylark
braylark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
To answer your question about sound, no tune is going to change the sound of the exhaust. Only exhaust modifications will do that.

If you're looking for a good exhaust setup without paying thousands, do catless dps and put an xpipe in place of the resonator. I did this and everyone in my area started doing it lol really does sound good..and it can be had for less than $1k all installed/welded.
I was going to go with the VRSF downpipes but I didnt consider the X pipe to go along with it. I will definitely consider that.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post

I was going to go with the VRSF downpipes but I didnt consider the X pipe to go along with it. I will definitely consider that.
Here you go, take a listen. This was my car. Vrsf dps and magnaflow xpipe. Only videos I have of it are while drag racing lol

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloTUrtle View Post
Sure if you want your ECU bricked. I know of multiple cars they have bricked the ECU.

Also I love all the JB4 isn't smooth comments.. I just dont get it I've been running it for 20k miles on 2 cars and both are smooth as butter on accelerate.

I would go with BM3 all day over VF if you want a flash. The price, logging, and free OTS maps are a win. They have the GTS features as well.

I'm in Atlanta if you want to test out my "choppy" jb4 car lol.
Appreciate 2
braylark115.00
9SECDD551.00
      11-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #14
braylark
braylark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Sure if you want your ECU bricked. I know of multiple cars they have bricked the ECU.

Also I love all the JB4 isn't smooth comments.. I just dont get it I've been running it for 20k miles on 2 cars and both are smooth as butter on accelerate.

I would go with BM3 all day over VF if you want a flash. The price, logging, and free OTS maps are a win. They have the GTS features as well.

I'm in Atlanta if you want to test out my "choppy" jb4 car lol.
Hey man .. I work downtown and live in smyrna. I would love if we could meetup so I could see the JB4 in action
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey man .. I work downtown and live in smyrna. I would love if we could meetup so I could see the JB4 in action
Cool I live in Marietta about 10 mins away from Smyrna. PM me we can meet up any afternoon. I work out of my house.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:

It's a real thing. You hear it a lot because people who have had the opportunity to drive piggy backs and flash tunes side by side notice a real difference almost immediately.

I don't know if your own car is a DCT or 6MT but I'm wiling to bet that if you're a manual. From my personal experience it's much more noticeable on the the DCT cars and the 6MT owners seem to not be as affected by it.

I think it comes down to the fact that the piggy back essentially tricks the ECU into making more power and leaves the TCU out of the conversation. I know that's a crude way to explain it but on the manual cars it makes sense that you don't have that same issue. With a flash tune the ECU and TCU are able to communicate better and that makes for a better driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a real thing. You hear it a lot because people who have had the opportunity to drive piggy backs and flash tunes side by side notice a real difference almost immediately.

I don't know if your own car is a DCT or 6MT but I'm wiling to bet that if you're a manual. From my personal experience it's much more noticeable on the the DCT cars and the 6MT owners seem to not be as affected by it.

I think it comes down to the fact that the piggy back essentially tricks the ECU into making more power and leaves the TCU out of the conversation. I know that's a crude way to explain it but on the manual cars it makes sense that you don't have that same issue. With a flash tune the ECU and TCU are able to communicate better and that makes for a better driving experience.
Yes my car is a manual. I have driven a couple flash tune cars at this point and have not been impressed. But I also run Map2 with 5 gallons of ethanol mixed with a base ZCP tune. I have never dyno'd but I should go see what I'm putting down.

With that said Ill probably make the leap to BM3 once I feel more comfortable with it. Im also holding out to see if they release an ethanol map since I can get e85 everywhere here.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 M4 6MT Sakhir/Sakhir thats completely stock when it comes to performance enhancements. I am looking to change that and would like some input on what I can do to get the most out of my vehicle for a fair price. I live in atlanta so any shop referrals would be welcome. The ultimate goal would be to be in the 500+ hp range and get closer to the v8 deep sound that I love.

I've been debating on the JB4 with downpipes but if there is a better alternative then I am all ears. If I could stay under $3k that would be ideal

For those familiar with a JB4 + downpipes setup ... how much horsepower would that ideally bump the vehicle up to? Thanks in advance to any feedback.
Best bang for your money would be Jb4 + VRSF catless downpipes
Check the vendor section for last minute Cyber Monday deals

Here is a dyno showing power difference

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #19
SloTUrtle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
New to the BMW world....what does this mean?
      11-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #20
braylark
braylark
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloTUrtle View Post
New to the BMW world....what does this mean?
Think of your cars ECU as an android phone and getting the tune done is similar to you jail breaking the phone to get root access and installing a new operating system .. sometimes if the upload fails or power cuts out etc during the middle of the update, the device gets stuck with failed code and will not cut on and its useless like a "brick" ... If this happens, the alternative is to pay a few thousand ($2500 or so I've been told) to get everything working again. I would imagine this is a rare occurrence but can be common if you are dealing with a non reputable shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Think of your cars ECU as an android phone and getting the tune done is similar to you jail breaking the phone to get root access and installing a new operating system .. sometimes if the upload fails or power cuts out etc during the middle of the update, the device gets stuck with failed code and will not cut on and its useless like a "brick" ... If this happens, the alternative is to pay a few thousand ($2500 or so I've been told) to get everything working again. I would imagine this is a rare occurrence but can be common if you are dealing with a non reputable shop.
Yeah exactly. I have no first hand experience but a good friend of mine is the one who had his M5 ECU bricked. Beyond that they had drilled into the top to get the encryption data and instead of properly sealing it they had put a strip of electrical tape over the hole.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

It's important to note that the M5 ECU is completely different than the ECU found in the F8X M3/M4.

It's MUCH more difficult to open, which can potentially lead to physical damage of the circuitry. The alternative for some tuners has been drilling a whole in the lid, which takes an additional level of expertise to get right.

The M3/M4 is much simpler to work with, and the proprietary HEX Flash Tools we've developed make the process quite easy. All of our Certified Installers have been trained directly by our techs, and in the event that there is not a Certified Installer near you, we do offer the unlocking service FREE of charger if the ECU is sent to us.
Appreciate 0