Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Question ECU Tuning on a Lease (not looking for warranty advice like everyone else)

First off let me say that if anything goes wrong with the car after doing a Stage 1 DME tune I will look to blame no one but myself and pay all repairs out of pocket. I fully understand the concept of "mod at your own risk," despite having never tuned a car in my life. Warranty is not my concern but turning the car back to BMW in 30 months is.

In 30 months when my 36 month lease terminates, my intention is to get another M (whichever one they still offer in 6MT by then...). In between now and then I will do my utmost to avoid the car being flagged, including flashing back to OEM during any services (the tune I am interested in gives me that option via a cable they sell).

When I turn in the car with the lease, presumably having had no issues from a stage 1 tune, can they void the lease agreement? Can they force me to buy a car even without any mechanical issue? Will I be unable to get out of the lease early? Do they scan the car for any codes upon lease termination to see what I was up to?

While an excellent driver (if I do say so myself) when it comes to technical subjects I'm a complete lay person. I have never seen an ECU in person haha.

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

We have yet to see anyone this has happened to on the forums but is it possible in the near future, possibly.

Carmakers want to use Copyright Law to make working on your car illegal but the law didn't pass so it's legal for next 2 years. Down the line, we don't know what's going to happen, and will lease returns be subject to the same type of inspection like other parts (tire wear, overall condition of vehicle etc).

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/its-le...e-n-1788555068
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
We have yet to see anyone this has happened to on the forums but is it possible in the near future, possibly.

Carmakers want to use Copyright Law to make working on your car illegal but the law didn't pass so it's legal for next 2 years. Down the line, we don't know what's going to happen, and will lease returns be subject to the same type of inspection like other parts (tire wear, overall condition of vehicle etc).

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/its-le...e-n-1788555068
Interesting and helpful. they cant say "the dme was opened" we arent taking the car back.
Thank you sir.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Interesting and helpful. they cant say "the dme was opened" we arent taking the car back.
Thank you sir.
Most dealers beg for M's / AMG / F's / RS back. They kill in the differential between trade in value and "certified pre-owned" resale.

I was say there is very little to no concern as its usually more advantageous to buy out your lease and sell the vehicle privately.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Most dealers beg for M's / AMG / F's / RS back. They kill in the differential between trade in value and "certified pre-owned" resale.

I was say there is very little to no concern as its usually more advantageous to buy out your lease and sell the vehicle privately.
I put a ton of miles on my cars or I would tend to agree with you. Then again, they're so rare even if I have 55k miles in 36 months I should be ok.

Appreciate the feedback regardless.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post

This isn't always the case as the buyout can be higher than the going value of the car. Plus there is always the issue of a claim on the car which devalues it dramatically. Ppl who lease are more likely to go thru insurance.

Anything can happen in the next few years. Especially with the uptick in ppl modding cars due to turbos etc, there's a good chance OEM will start looking at ECU's being opened. This is not the same as flashing thru OBDII ports (not possible yet on f8x) as that won't be easily apparent to dealers.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Last edited by swifty; 12-02-2016 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
exia_m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
Well I got my car Nov 1, 2016 36 month lease its going under the knife next week Thursday for BM3 stage 2 nothing stock

@drivingwithbenny
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Your first step "In between now and then I will do my utmost to avoid the car being flagged" is to change your info around here on the forums. It is known that people at BMW are reading around here.

Other than that, just go out and have fun with it.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Your first step "In between now and then I will do my utmost to avoid the car being flagged" is to change your info around here on the forums. It is known that people at BMW are reading around here.

good point. i am actually only kidding, i dont own a car.

Last edited by frankiebones; 12-02-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
omnupe9.50
      12-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

If being safe is more important to you than max power. Them consider a dinan tune instead of an ECU flash. lease your car from a dealer that sells dinan. Have the dealer install the dinan kit. And discuss your concerns about lease return before you lease. When it's time to return the car they are less likely to give you any problems since they are the ones that installed it. And the kit is removable without ever tampering with the ECU itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #11
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Why not nust get another DME as a backup and run it with the tune if so worried? Best of both worlds get the best tune possible and not worry about warranty in case of major repairs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
Liquid2.0T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It used to be a BMW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW9 View Post
If being safe is more important to you than max power. Them consider a dinan tune instead of an ECU flash. lease your car from a dealer that sells dinan. Have the dealer install the dinan kit. And discuss your concerns about lease return before you lease. When it's time to return the car they are less likely to give you any problems since they are the ones that installed it. And the kit is removable without ever tampering with the ECU itself.
But all that money to go slow
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post

good point. i am actually only kidding, i dont own a car.
Let's say you had a car. Where are you thinking about going for the ECU tune? I'm on the island also and have been completing a similar scenario as your OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

My friend tried to sell his 2015 BMW M3 to 2 different BMW dealership's recently.
He had suspension, intakes, exhaust, etc on the car and put everything back to stock.
Both dealerships inspected the car and told him that they wont buy the car because they can tell that there must have been after market parts on the car due to markings on suspension bolts, etc.

Just thought it was interesting that they denied it, they said they cant offer it as a CPO since it has been supposedly modified.

He went to CarMax and they gave him top dollar

Last edited by schnell1982; 12-03-2016 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
Liquid2.0T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It used to be a BMW...

So no one can modify their cars now. OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid2.0T
Quote:
But all that money to go slow
Lol. Yes it's not the fastest but it's better than stock and it's safe.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982
My friend tried to sell his 2015 BMW M3 to 2 different BMW dealership's recently.
He had suspension, intakes, exhaust, etc on the car and put everything back to stock.
Both dealerships inspected the car and told him that they wont buy the car because they can tell that there must have been after market parts on the car due to markings on suspension bolts, etc.

Just thought it was interesting that they denied it, they said they cant offer it as a CPO since it has been supposedly modified.

Yes similar thing happened to me for my M5 lease return. They said they cannot offer the car as a BMW certified car. But they took the car back and sent it to auction. Dealers pick the nice and clean cars for resale and send the rest to auction or third party sellers.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #18
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes similar thing happened to me for my M5 lease return. They said they cannot offer the car as a BMW certified car. But they took the car back and sent it to auction. Dealers pick the nice and clean cars for resale and send the rest to auction or third party sellers.
So you had no trouble getting out of your lease?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
When I turn in the car with the lease, presumably having had no issues from a stage 1 tune, can they void the lease agreement? Can they force me to buy a car even without any mechanical issue? Will I be unable to get out of the lease early? Do they scan the car for any codes upon lease termination to see what I was up to?
I suggest you read the fine print of your lease agreement. Keep in mind you technically do not own the car, in simple terms you are renting it.

The old sayings...mod at your own risk or pay to play.

Flash tunes require the ecu to be physically opened. Even if you flash back to stock, there will always be signs that the ecu has been tampered with.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #20
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post

This. I have sold my leased BMWs to carmax twice and received my 7 MSDs back plus cash because they always offer more than the residual anyway. The fact that they don't ever bother checking to see if car was tuned, etc. is a huge bonus. Obviously, I remove the bolt-ons as they may offer less if the car still had mods. Plus I can sell the bolt-ons.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #21
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
So you had no trouble getting out of your lease?
You can easily get out of any lease at any time by selling the car. Depending on how old the car is and how many miles you have on it, you may get more or less than the payoff. You'd just have to make up the difference if the selling price is less than the pay-off.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Can they void the lease agreement? Yes they can because the car has been modified and pushed over stock recommended power

Will they? no ... Out of the tens of thousands of cars that were tuned, none had that problem, highly doubt they will give you a hard time when returning it (assuming it has no problems)

They won't even check the ECU registry for any changes in the tables

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0