ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 600whp M4

From E46 M3 to E92 M3 to F80 M3 - what to expect?

Hi guys,

my last car payment is coming soon and im considering trading in my e92 to make the switch to the f80 platform !!

I know its gonna be way different on all aspects (engine, handling, power delivery etc) but im not planing to do a lot of mods on the car besides a tune, downpipes, exhaust and air intake !!

How reliable is the I6 TT engine on its stock form and with some extra power added??

If theres anything important i should know please feel free to help I would like to ear about people who did the change from the e92 to the f80

Thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

The first difference you'll notice is that extra 406 lbs-ft of torque compared to the E92's 295 lbs-ft. The torgue can be felt as low as 1850 RPM and stays all the way through the rev range up to 7600 RPM

Then the looks, looks modern and is one of the sexiest cars out there actually and that awesome handling, it feels so planted on the road and lastly, the tech if you care about that, is way better than the previous generation, you get the best infotainment system, best GPS Navigation compared to other car brands even, an above average Harman/Kardon sound system, speed limit info on the head up display, yada yada yada

I recommend you get the Competition Package for the awesome burbles that it has in the exhaust and the many benefits like:

- Power output: 444 HP (output increase of +19 HP)
0-60 DCT: 3.8 seconds (sedan/coupe), 4.1 seconds (convertible)
- M Sports exhaust system with black chrome exhaust tailpipes
- Tuned Adaptive M Suspension (SA 2VF) with new settings
- New Springs
- New Dampers
- New Anti-Roll Bars
- Reconfigured driving modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+)
- New Settings for DSC / Active M Differential
- Exclusive 20" M light allow wheels Star-spoke style 666M Forged, machine-polished, weight-and rigidity-optimized, multi-spoke wheels (front 9J ×20; rear10 J ×20) Mixed tires sizes (front: 265/30 R20, rear: 285/30 R20)
- M Seats with break-through elements in seat back (Coupe/Sedan only); deletion of lumbar support
- Seatbelts with woven-in BMW M stripes (Coupe/Sedan only)
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended content: kidney frame, grill, rear model designation in Black high-gloss, including regular SA760 content

$5500 for sedan/coupe, $5000 for convertible
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)

Last edited by Super Spartan; 11-20-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

The S55 has been pretty reliable from what I've seen. No real issues and the turbo's seem to handle the added boost just fine (be it piggy or flash). However, long term reliability is still undetermined as we are still early even though its nearing the end of the production cycle.

Of course that all depends on how much you really plan to dive into mods. Obviously the more you modify and if you are pushing over 550whp+ you can run into potentially more issues. The main issue however seems to be traction as the car just struggles to gain the grip when you are putting down that much power.

Difference between the E9x will be night and day. The last of the NA V8's vs a turbo //M platform. In terms of performance (power, delivery, weight, feel, etc) it trumps the E9x in almost all aspects.

The only real downgrade and complaint with the F8x is the sound. It just doesn't cut it compared to the V8 of the E9x but this is pretty commonplace with newer cars and the way we are headed. This can be somewhat remedied with the Comp package and an aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
The only real downgrade and complaint with the F8x is the sound. It just doesn't cut it compared to the E9x but this is pretty commonplace with newer cars and the way we are headed. That can be somewhat remedied with the Comp package and an aftermarket exhaust.
Totally agreed, the stock exhaust sound is just horrid.

Then an MPE or any other good aftermarket exhaust fixes it

This is my car

LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

This is my car

Nice

I wouldn't say the stock note is "horrid" but it definitely leaves more to be desired.

While I personally am a firm advocate of the value the Comp package provides, whether or not the OP should definitely get it depends IMHO of just how far he plans to modify his car.

If he plans to heavily modify beyond stock, (which he indicated he plans on doing in his initial response) I'd say save $5K or so and use that for the extensive mod budget

Sticking with more closer to stock? Comp package all the way.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Nice

I wouldn't say the stock note is "horrid" but it definitely leaves more to be desired.

While I personally am a firm advocate of the value the Comp package provides, whether or not the OP should definitely get it depends IMHO of just how far he plans to modify his car.

If he plans to heavily modify beyond stock, (which he indicated he plans on doing in his initial response) I'd say save $5K or so and use that for the extensive mod budget

Sticking with more closer to stock? Comp package all the way.
I agree with you on the competition package as per the OP's needs. If he wants to mod the heck out of it and add downpipes, then maybe it's not a must for him.

As for my comment on the stock exhaust. Maybe it was a bit too harsh, but last year I had the 2017 M4 Convertible (non-ZCP) and every time I was driving, there was something missing, no aural drama, I didn't feel like I was driving a fast car. Especially with the top up, it was so insulated that you couldn't hear anything unless your at WOT. the thing is, this car is so fast that when you go WOT give it a few seconds and you're already above the speed limit so an exhaust definitely feels that as you could hear it on the lower RPMs even.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I've ran a Dinan tune in my 2015 since it was new, 37k miles later, not a single problem. No dealer visits that weren't on the maintenance plan. I wouldn't even hesitate to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
You'll notice the torque immediately. My biggest frustration in the E46/92 was lack of torque in low RPMs. Kind of felt like a dog in the city.

With the increased power, I seem to struggle with traction issues.

The E46/92 feel more raw. The F8x is very refined and comfortable to drive. The car is bigger but definitely well balanced.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

This is my car

They should not be showing any incar shots for sound. It is pointless with that stupid active sound. Hate that thing.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #10
javkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

I've had an E46 M3 then moved to a E92 M3 and I've now got the M4 ZCP which I've had for around 6 weeks.
What I like over the E92:
- Torque makes overtaking much easier
- Technology
- Interior quality
- Speed
- Looks
What I dislike:
- Traction on full throttle; the TC barely kicked in on the E92 and for the M4 it is on a lot. Can't imagine how this car could take more power
- Sound. No aural drama, event though the ZCP seems better than stock the lack of a soundtrack makes it a boring car to drive if its not in M mode (which has become my default setting)

F82 M4 Mineral White | DCT | Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

You know when they engage warp drive on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the stars become a blur....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

I drive in Sport or Sport+ 90% of the time.

IMO, driving an M car in Eco mode defeats the purpose of having an M.

Unless you are on a road trip, but even then I'd probably be Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

The f80 made me miss my e92, I'm not gonna lie... That raw, unadulterated feeling is gone, replaced by a more mature feel...

Don't get me started on engine / exhaust note, but that should be a given going from v8 to i6 with turbos...

Car didn't put a smile on my face until tunes, mods and three different exhausts until I found one that didn't make the car sound like a straight piped lawnmower... E92 made me smile every time I hit the start button, even when it was bone stock...

I get the f8x is faster, more tech, better on gas, etc etc, but that magical feeling wasn't there for me initially... Like an arranged marriage, you kinda fall in love over time...

My two cents... Everyone's opinion is going to differ but there it is...
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

OP I did the exact same thing last week. I traded my E92 M3 (which I loved dearly) and moved to an F80. Absolutely zero regrets. The above folks are spot on in their assessments, though I disagree it feels less "special". It's different "special" is all. The folks that do not think F80 is special need to spend more time in a standard 3 series car.

Here are my old & new cars...my F80 is at the tint shop today Next week suspension and new TE37SL Pressed Double Black

Last edited by UGADawgFan; 11-22-2017 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
I came from an E92 M3 to a F82 Competition and aside from the instant power delivery and all already mentioned in previous posts, the most striking change is the steering... I'm still getting used to, it is super precise but more detached from the road IMO... in the E92, the feel was way more direct.... hopefully I will get used to it and the confidence will build up gradually.

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by javkhan View Post
I
What I dislike:
- Traction on full throttle; the TC barely kicked in on the E92 and for the M4 it is on a lot. Can't imagine how this car could take more power
-
How is that a dislike? It just means you have a lot more power and are applying too much throttle for the situation

I think that's a key thing you will notice OP.. an actual need to modulate the throttle.

If you had 275 rear tires on your e46m3, it was way more grip than torque and you could go WOT a lot sooner and a lot more often. Now you'll need to actually think about whether it's appropriate to deploy the power
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
335ic_Black
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
I drive in Sport or Sport+ 90% of the time.

IMO, driving an M car in Eco mode defeats the purpose of having an M.

Unless you are on a road trip, but even then I'd probably be Sport.
This. I've been driving up and down the highway just to speed up my break in period so I can go sports+ lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 600whp M4

Thanks guys for all your answers i will let winter go thru and i will start doing some test drive in April which will help me a lot more to decide if i keep the e92 with no more car payments or if i go with the f80 !!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
How is that a dislike? It just means you have a lot more power and are applying too much throttle for the situation

I think that's a key thing you will notice OP.. an actual need to modulate the throttle.

If you had 275 rear tires on your e46m3, it was way more grip than torque and you could go WOT a lot sooner and a lot more often. Now you'll need to actually think about whether it's appropriate to deploy the power
Yes, you can't just mash the pedal in the F8X, especially with the nannies off. The turbo boost can spool up quickly and break the rears loose. It's fun, but nerve racking too.

E9X, you can just mash the pedal in most cases, and with the direct steering and balanced chassis, you can drive close to the limit with absolute confidence.

Different driving experiences entirely between all 3 models. If you like all-out speed, the F82 is irresistible, even though the sound it makes was never intoxicating to me unless I was at WOT (and I had a full AA exhaust).

E9X just sounds right, and steers right, and handles right....but definitely slower (unless you supercharge it, which many have done). For many, the E9X is fast enough, but it's hard to feel the acceleration until you approach the redline....the E9X is a deceptively fast, supremely tossable M.

On a track, the F8X is a riot, sticks like glue and so fast down the straights! But didn't like it as much on my drive home afterward.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #20
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

FWIW - I just traded in my 2015 M3 for a 2018 M3ZCP - had 60,000 miles on my '15 and man - that car (and S55 engine) were rock solid...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yes, you can't just mash the pedal in the F8X, especially with the nannies off. The turbo boost can spool up quickly and break the rears loose. It's fun, but nerve racking too.

E9X, you can just mash the pedal in most cases, and with the direct steering and balanced chassis, you can drive close to the limit with absolute confidence. .
I think you hit the nail on the head Kevin. The power can definitely be nerve wracking, and I know I felt like I had to work in my f80 at the track vs. past cars with lower power/torque that felt so easy to drive at the limit and slide around
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #22
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

E9X, you can just mash the pedal in most cases, and with the direct steering and balanced chassis, you can drive close to the limit with absolute confidence. .
I think you hit the nail on the head Kevin. The power can definitely be nerve wracking, and I know I felt like I had to work in my f80 at the track vs. past cars with lower power/torque that felt so easy to drive at the limit and slide around
^this

Just treat the throttle with a little respect and/or slap some wider-stickier rubber on and have a blast.
Appreciate 0