R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Wajhik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB

F80 Stick or DCT? We ordered a stick...

Sat down and configured our first M4...decided with the Yas Marina blue, and stick...

When talking about the M5, even pure manual enthusiest like myself have trouble defending the stick in a 560hp car, but in an m3/4 chassis we thought a manual would be the best, and of course most exciting route.

Interested in hearing your guys thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral White M4

Congrats.

When are you quoted to receive the car? And, are you doing ED?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

In keeping with the "this transmission is better mated with this engine" school of thought, i would have to try.

In the current car, dont see much of an advantage due to the current powerband (up up and up the more you ring it).

Curious if in manual the new car will just lag quite a bit just due to having to be more precisely in the power band. Although the 1m coupe seems just fine in a manual only.

Hmmm....just had a thought. Would the 1m coupe would be fun to get as a track car as those owners switch up to m3/4 and possibly m2?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I would want to drive it before deciding. When I bought my current M3, I test drove a stick. Coming from an S2000 previously, I found the manual transmission in the M3 to be really sloppy. The clutch pedal was mushy without a clear engagement point; the lever throws were massive; and the lever action felt like I was moving a stick through molasses. Really uninspiring on the whole. I opted for the DCT, and while I miss the engaging nature of a manual, there's no denying the DCT's brilliance.

I really hope that BMW took steps to clean up the manual transmission in the F8X, as I want to go back to three pedals for my next car. My gut tells me that they probably didn't spend a whole lot of resources on improving their manual transmission, though. Conversely, BMW and Getrag engineers probably spent a lot of R&D on making the new DCT even better for the F8X.

So, yeah. A test drive will be in order before any decision.

On a completely different note. I think I read somewhere that the DCT in the M5 and M6 doesn't rev match on down shifts in any setting. Is that right?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 10-30-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
With the very broad power plateau of the S55 compared to the peakier power curve of the S65, the shorter ratios of the DCT will have less benefits on the F8X.

Further, according to the press release, the 6MT on the F8X is a brand new desing shaving 26lb compared to the previous 6MT. This means that a 6MT equiped F8X will have a 70lb advantage over a DCT car (assuming the DCT on the F8X is a carry over from the E9X). This is not negligible.

From a performance perspective, the DCT still has the benefits of the shorter gearing, quicker (instantaneous) shifts and ability to keep both hands on the steering wheel. But I feel the DCT will not provide as much of a performance advantage as it did on the E9X.

I am still on fence on which one to order
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Glad that you guys went with a traditional manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Bold move for dealer stock, especially when we don't know performance numbers yet. I'm sure it'll get snapped up quickly though.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Agree with poster above. Why cant any of these higher priced cars have a transmission of such praise like the s2k (14 years in the making) and an nsx (20+ years in the making)?!

Ive owned an s2k and played in an nsx.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
With the very broad power plateau of the S55 compared to the peakier power curve of the S65, the shorter ratios of the DCT will have less benefits on the F8X.

Further, according to the press release, the 6MT on the F8X is a brand new desing shaving 26lb compared to the previous 6MT. This means that a 6MT equiped F8X will have a 70lb advantage over a DCT car (assuming the DCT on the F8X is a carry over from the E9X). This is not negligible.

From a performance perspective, the DCT still has the benefits of the shorter gearing, quicker (instantaneous) shifts and ability to keep both hands on the steering wheel. But I feel the DCT will not provide as much of a performance advantage as it did on the E9X.

I am still on fence on which one to order
my thoughts exactly. I loved the DCT in my e9x, but I'm on the fence as well (slighltly leaning towards a 6MT so long as it's a good one).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

I was actually thinking the DCT would likely be the transmission the car was designed to mate with. It will be my first DCT so I am a bit scared that I will grow bored of it, but I figured the motor would just match better with the quicker automated unit. I have read several reviews of how the M5/6 are so much better with the DCT simply because the 6mt was somewhat of an after thought for the F10/12 platform. I know this 6mt was designed for this car but I am assuming and hoping the DCT isn't a carry over and more of an updated or new unit for the F8x
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I plan on going the route of a manual as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm also on the fence. I like the DCT in my current M3. There is no denying it's performance and convinience advantage but there is also no denying the added involvement in driving an MT which I miss. I'm not just sure if the initial excitement and joy of the re-union with an MT will last or if it will over time turn into me missing the DCT. It's not a easy decision especially as already mentioned BMW MTs are usually not the best in clutch engagement and throw. Test drives are a must. Kudos to dealers helping by ordering MTs for launch cars. The DCT we know will be good, the MT needs to be tested.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Wajhik
Private
Rep

I think even when the 6MT is an afterthought like it was on the m5, it still provides the feel that the driver is looking for. Basically with these cars surpassing 5-6 and even 700hp they become very difficult to tame with a manual....even if we think the preliminary numbers are understated, the fact that manuals are becoming so scarce in all sports car lines we decided our first one should be a stick.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Wajhik
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Bold move for dealer stock, especially when we don't know performance numbers yet. I'm sure it'll get snapped up quickly though.
Yeah we arent too worried about it, we have a very unique dealership, most of our sales people are 15+ years with long client list that continuously trade. We all work under the same roof even though we are franchised BMW, Porsche and Mbenz.

Regardless, really excited.

Yas Marina Blue, Black Extended Merino

Lighting Package
Executive Package
19" 437 in black
Adaptive M Suspension
Harmon Kardon
Enhanced Bluetooth (why thats an option with standard nav I dont know...$$$)

and of course manual transmission, should be an awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

it would be a safe bet to say a lot of dealers will be ordering Yas Marina Blue launch cars

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
it would be a safe bet to say a lot of dealers will be ordering Yas Marina Blue launch cars
Saw a lot of launch LSB cars with gray interior back in the day as well.
      10-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^yea. It makes sense. A flashy color launch car would def draw attention to clients on the lot.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

If the clutch and shifter are good on this car, then I would go manual... With a DCT or other automatic, you either let it do its thing, or you shift it manually.

If you let it do its thing, then you have little control over it. When you press the gas pedal you never really know for sure how the car will react because it may downshift or upshift which will change how it reacts to your gas pedal input, and this is outside your control. I find it pretty annoying.

If you shift it manually, then you might as well get a proper manual with a clutch and stick. Why be forced to shift sequentially and calculate how many clicks to get to the gear you want. Also, it's hard to keep track of the gear you're in - the tactile feel is missing, and I think 7 gears is one gear too many to shift manually anyway...

Caveats apply - manual is a pain in stop-and-go traffic (especially when combined with hills). Also, manual requires concentration, and can be overwhelming if a lot is going on - music, someone on the phone, nagging passengers, etc.

Maybe the best solution is to own two: an M3 with DCT, and an M4 with 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
leletyM3
HPF Stg2 640rwhp
Rep
Drives: HPF M3

I converted my SMG to 6MT on my M3 and will most likely go with a MT for the M4. Test drove the 2014 F10 M5 DCT, loved how fast it shifted.....maybe on the F10 I don't mind getting a DCT but on the M3/M4 I will most likely order with MT. Even my current E60 M5 is MT but SMG is another story from DCT haha
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Saw a lot of launch LSB cars with gray interior back in the day as well.
In the past, I believe all M launch cars in the US were spec'd very similarly with very limited choices (if any at all) for color and options. That's why there were so many LSB E46 M3s out there on day one. More recently, BMW NA have opened things up more. But in any case I agree that YMB will be a popular choice for these first orders as it is nothing if not attention grabbing. And that is exactly what you want in order to generate traffic and get people talking.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Earl View Post
How did you order a car that wasn't even released yet?
Dealerships get early access in order to have the car built and on the lot for the product kickoff.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

I would go DCT. BMW MTs arent that great and can ruin the whole experience.

1 -> 2 shift was terrible, long clutch travel etc.