GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-24-2024, 06:40 AM   #1
M4user
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Good morning everyone,

Yesterday after I arrived at work my key would not lock the door. I assumed the battery needed to be replaced, so I returned home to grab my spare key. I also replaced the battery for my main key prior to returning to my car. Upon returning, I found that neither key would unlock/lock doors, open trunk or sound the alarm. The only messages that the car will show me are “Key not recognized”, followed by “hold key to steering column”. I tried both to no avail. iDrive will not turn on at all. Additionally the lock/unlock button on the dashboard will lock the car when I am in it, and the truck will open when the release button is pressed in the car! My F82 M4 has officially left me stranded. I have scoured the internet and forums and have not found a issue similar to mine. If you have experienced this or have any other recommendations please feel free to reach out. The car in question is a 2015 M4 with 49k miles. I cannot turn accessory mode on to put car in neutral to tow. From my own diagnostic I believe that this is a keyfob reciver related issue and not an ignition issue. My next steps are to return tomorrow with a fuse puller and check to see if the fuse for the key fob reciver has popped as this is the only thing I can think of that may have happened. The car is bone stock without any modifications, just lowered on coilovers. If you know what fuse I should look for please comment below. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 07:50 AM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4user View Post
Good morning everyone,

Yesterday after I arrived at work my key would not lock the door. I assumed the battery needed to be replaced, so I returned home to grab my spare key. I also replaced the battery for my main key prior to returning to my car. Upon returning, I found that neither key would unlock/lock doors, open trunk or sound the alarm. The only messages that the car will show me are “Key not recognized”, followed by “hold key to steering column”. I tried both to no avail. iDrive will not turn on at all. Additionally the lock/unlock button on the dashboard will lock the car when I am in it, and the truck will open when the release button is pressed in the car! My F82 M4 has officially left me stranded. I have scoured the internet and forums and have not found a issue similar to mine. If you have experienced this or have any other recommendations please feel free to reach out. The car in question is a 2015 M4 with 49k miles. I cannot turn accessory mode on to put car in neutral to tow. From my own diagnostic I believe that this is a keyfob reciver related issue and not an ignition issue. My next steps are to return tomorrow with a fuse puller and check to see if the fuse for the key fob reciver has popped as this is the only thing I can think of that may have happened. The car is bone stock without any modifications, just lowered on coilovers. If you know what fuse I should look for please comment below. Thanks in advance.
Any other warnings or faults displayed? Check your car battery voltage first. Then when you hold the key to steering column, depress the brake pedal and hold down the start key. You might have to hold it down for 5-10 seconds.

Any recent interior mods or work done to the car?
Appreciate 1
M4user0.00
      02-24-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
M4user
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Any other warnings or faults displayed? Check your car battery voltage first. Then when you hold the key to steering column, depress the brake pedal and hold down the start key. You might have to hold it down for 5-10 seconds.

Any recent interior mods or work done to the car?
Good afternoon, thanks for the reply! No other warnings or faults displayed. I will check voltage once I return to my work parking lot. Recent services include new valve cover & gaskets, new spark plugs & coil packs.

I will try the method recommended above when I return to the car. I did not hold the button down for 5-10 seconds so hopefully that does the trick.

The car does have CarPlay installed via MMI how’s that was done professionally by the last owner. I saw in an older thread that there is a plug near the shifter that could be disconnected and distrupt communication between the key and the reciver however I verified that mine was connected properly. I attached an image of the connector that I double checked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0