BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
jschulz79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Xpel + Carbon Fiber

Picked up my YMB M3 last month, and the plan is to Xpel it before our awful Michigan roads do too much damage. But I'm also planning on installing CF front lip and splitters. Is it better to wait until those are installed to wrap the front bumper...or does it not really matter? Also, do people wrap the CF parts as well, or are they durable enough that they don't need the protection?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

You need to install all your carbon fiber parts first and then Xpel on top of them.

The clear coat on the carbon fiber is the weakest part of the car (the paint is much more durable). So yes, if you don't want your carbon fiber have that shattered look, you need to get all the carbon fiber pieces protected with the Xpel.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
jschulz79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
You need to install all your carbon fiber parts first and then Xpel on top of them.

The clear coat on the carbon fiber is the weakest part of the car (the paint is much more durable). So yes, if you don't want your carbon fiber have that shattered look, you need to get all the carbon fiber pieces protected with the Xpel.
Thanks...very helpful. Guess I need to find some CF parts ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Get the roof covered too if it's CF
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
jschulz79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Get the roof covered too if it's CF
Nope...got the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Here is what I did for what it is worth. I wanted my entire front end wrapped and was also getting the MP lip and carbon splitters. I bought the lip and had him wrap the splitters prior to install and my entire bumper is now completely covered in the unlikely event I remove my front chin spoiler. I suggest wrapping the lip and splitters if you can time it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschulz79 View Post
Picked up my YMB M3 last month, and the plan is to Xpel it before our awful Michigan roads do too much damage. But I'm also planning on installing CF front lip and splitters. Is it better to wait until those are installed to wrap the front bumper...or does it not really matter? Also, do people wrap the CF parts as well, or are they durable enough that they don't need the protection?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
jschulz79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
Here is what I did for what it is worth. I wanted my entire front end wrapped and was also getting the MP lip and carbon splitters. I bought the lip and had him wrap the splitters prior to install and my entire bumper is now completely covered in the unlikely event I remove my front chin spoiler. I suggest wrapping the lip and splitters if you can time it right.
Interesting. So you had the bumper wrapped first...then wrapped the splitters / lip, and then had those installed? Or you wrapped the splitters / lip, then installed them, then wrapped the bumper? Just trying to figure out the best way to time this. I guess one thing to do is just call the dealer who will be doing the wrap and ask them.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Personally I would install splitters first then wrap bumper but Cut the film in such a way that the splitter can be removed if needed and not ruin the rest of the film if that makes sense. Wrapping the lip might be a futile exercise as it'll get scraped and abused a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
This is how we do it as well. For exactly the same reason.

If you install first and then remove the splitters, you can always add in a custom piece however, it just will add more to the costs of things.

You don't PPF the lower side of the lip, it will get scrapped up and ruined. PPF will not protect against bottoming out. The PPF gets trimmed along the forward lower edge. Anymore and it will shred and potentially run up the face a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #10
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I recently took delivery of my new YMB M3 and I took it straight to the shop for PPF and window tint. I ordered the car with the MP Carbon spoiler and splitters. I paid a little extra to have them wrapped as well as like the others said the clear coat on the carbon parts is pretty weak.

Went with the following:
SunTek Ultra: full hood, full fenders, headlights and mirrors
Xpel Ultimate: full front bumper, carbon fiber splitters and spoiler
Windows were tinted using SunTek 35% film

02-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #11
jschulz79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmers4life View Post
I recently took delivery of my new YMB M3 and I took it straight to the shop for PPF and window tint. I ordered the car with the MP Carbon spoiler and splitters. I paid a little extra to have them wrapped as well as like the others said the clear coat on the carbon parts is pretty weak.

Went with the following:

Looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

Went with the following:

Looks great

Did you PPF the carbon fiber roof too?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Looks great

Did you PPF the carbon fiber roof too?
The installer did not have time to do it the day of the install but I’m taking the car back to have him wrap it. It’s a must. There is no fixing the roof in case of a rock chip.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #14
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The installer did not have time to do it the day of the install but I’m taking the car back to have him wrap it. It’s a must. There is no fixing the roof in case of a rock chip.
yes i know , derek is very busy and i am waiting on him too. How much does it cost to wrap the cf roof?
      02-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yes i know , derek is very busy and i am waiting on him too. How much does it cost to wrap the cf roof?
He quoted me $500 for the roof. Did you get a new F80? What are you having him wrap/tint?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #16
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
He quoted me $500 for the roof. Did you get a new F80? What are you having him wrap/tint?
Yeah 18 ZCP , I want him to do standard protection and thinking of doing the roof too, these ppf are very expensive

Who tinted ur car and what tint did u put on

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #17
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah 18 ZCP , I want him to do standard protection and thinking of doing the roof too, these ppf are very expensive

Who tinted ur car and what tint did u put on

Thanks
There is a guy that works at Derek’s shop who tints windows. I want to say his name is Josh. He’s really good! Derek has worked with him for years and knowing Derek he wouldn’t keep someone in house if he didn’t do a good job. I went with 35% and the film is a top of the line SunTek. Yeah it’s expwnsive but it’s worth every penny imo. Besides how can you justify paying $80k for a car but not be willing to pay $1500 for PPF? That’s how I looked at it. My total build was $83k.
Appreciate 0