EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #45
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

I just had a 2018 SS as a rental on my last business trip. The power (and the car's ability to put it down) is quite impressive (red paint of course adds horse power). The interior/infotainment is light years better than GM of only a few years ago. 8 speed auto transmission sucked and the steering was artificially heavy though.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #46
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
ZL1 1LE just beat the 2018 911 GT3 around a track (NCM), at less than half the price

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...r-of-the-year/
FWIW, that GT3 didn't have the PDK which means no (magical) torque vectoring rear differential. Would've been a second or two quicker if equipped.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #47
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
FWIW, that GT3 didn't have the PDK which means no (magical) torque vectoring rear differential. Would've been a second or two quicker if equipped.
PTV is standard on the manual as well. R&T must've pulled that comment out of their ass. PDK has the PTV+ - According to P, with PTV, the rear differential lock is regulated mechanically, while PTV+ is equipped with electronic control offering fully variable torque distribution.

So for R&T to say "Without that diff, you have to work harder to turn the car,” seems completely ignorant. Even if PTV+ is works better, I think it's a stretch for them to claim this, especially when RAS is also standard.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #48
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
The actual buyer of those cars (not the online basher on either side) is NOT going to cross shop Between those 2.
Right comparison is Camaro Zl1LE vs Mustang GT350 R or M4CS vs 911GTS.
All that stuff about more bang for your buck for the Camaro but crappy interior or waste of money for the CS but better build is totally irrelevant.
Ironically, I actually AM cross shopping them. And to make it more crazy I'm cross shopping 1LE with M4 Cab LOL. And 911 Targa 4S. Am I all over the place? Yep. Am I a complete car nut having fun? Indeed! I need a new daily fun car and haven't had a vert in a long time. On the other hand I have never owned a track car. And given that I have a toddler and one in the oven what better track toy than one I can also take the fam in sometimes!

Believe it or not the 1LE is the most fun to drive of the 3. The Targa 4S is the most pimp. The M4 Cab is the best all-arounder considering its space. This is very hard!
68' Charger
16' BMW R9T
Appreciate 0