Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
Your only option might be to remove both wheels, drive them to the shop and tell them you need to remount them for racing/off road purposes only. Be clear it is not for regular street driving. Then they might do it. Discount tire still won't but some others might (tire rack will do it only for racing at this level, for example, they are local to me).

Other option would be to post on a local FB group to try and find someone that has a tire mounter that can mount them for you.

If you are asking about just swapping the wheels without remounting? You should just get the tools. You are going to be changing wheels constantly if you're going to the track and you want to have tools available to bring with you too. Get a jack, a breaker bar, an impact gun with 17mm impact socket, a torque wrench and a socket set. And some gloves. Harbor freight can get you most of these for pretty cheap, but don't get the impact gun from them lol. Their jacks are the best though.
Yep, I was getting tools then saw QuickJack and am still debating. Given how they can be out of stock, I may lose the summer for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #24
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Yep, I was getting tools then saw QuickJack and am still debating. Given how they can be out of stock, I may lose the summer for it.
Those are sweet! A buddy I track with frequently uses one and it's very easy to use. I will get one at some point, but it's much easier for those who are trailering their vehicles to the track (they're compact but I'm not sure I would deal with trying to fit it into the car). Definitely get yourself at least a cheap HF jack tho.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #25
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Those are sweet! A buddy I track with frequently uses one and it's very easy to use. I will get one at some point, but it's much easier for those who are trailering their vehicles to the track (they're compact but I'm not sure I would deal with trying to fit it into the car). Definitely get yourself at least a cheap HF jack tho.
I was looking at getting a quickjack too. I can't decide on the 12v PSU or the 120W PSU. Any opinions from your buddy?

I could use an inverter in the 120W and still use it on the go, and keep the 12v one plugged into the battery pack at all times and use it at home, but I can't decide which would be better overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #26
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
1. 17 mm lug socket, ideally with a plastic sleeve to protect your nice wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
True for the E9X that has 12mm lugs. However, the 14mm lugs on the F8X require 105 lb-ft
Just notice 17mm lug socket vs 14mm lugs. Maybe a stupid question here, does it mean I need to use 17mm lug socket on 14mm lugs?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
1. 17 mm lug socket, ideally with a plastic sleeve to protect your nice wheels.

Just notice 17mm lug socket vs 14mm lugs. Maybe a stupid question here, does it mean I need to use 17mm lug socket on 14mm lugs?
17mm is the socket size, 14mm is the thread diameter.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1