Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Howling CCB Brake Noise....Is there ANY real remedy?

So I've read multiple threads on this forum about people with squeaky CCB's but my problem is worse than that its like a damn loud violin harmonic noise when i brake most of the time (when the foot is partially on the brakes). I bought this car used 3 months ago with 33k miles on it and a couple people told me forgo the CCB's but I wanted a SMB fully loaded with comp pack and the only one at the time that looked good had the CCB's. I have tried a couple things people on those threads discussed which is rinsing/spraying the rotors when cold and bedding the hell out of the brakes. Each one fixes the issue maybe for ONE DAY and then its back to the harmonic noise.

I took the car in a few days ago to BMW since I'm still under warranty and they told me these are "normal" noises the CCB's make (they even showed me a SIB about it)....I have to believe that THIS noise is not normal....Anyone in here that was able to fix the issue? thx

This is a video of a c63s with CCB's exhibiting the exact same noise as my car
https://player.vimeo.com/video/256801915
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Rock stuck between rotor and guard
      05-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Rock stuck between rotor and guard
99% sure thats not it....ive had that noise before and thats not this noise....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

A video would help us understand what type of noise from ccb
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
MANNNN I posted a link to a video showing exactly what the sound is in the first thread
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If there is a permanent "fix" I never figured it out. Think it just goes with the territory.
      05-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
If there is a permanent "fix" I never figured it out. Think it just goes with the territory.
So you have this exact noise and its frequent and you just deal with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Same / very similar noise. Definitely not constant but frequent. Lease up soon and new car ordered without CCBs.
      05-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Same / very similar noise. Definitely not constant but frequent. Lease up soon and new car ordered without CCBs.
has it happened the whole few years youve had the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
Quote:
MANNNN I posted a link to a video showing exactly what the sound is in the first thread
I saw it but I thought you have noise all the time. Not just before stop. If just like the video, that's normal. My m4 with ccb has exactly same noise before stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
I saw it but I thought you have noise all the time. Not just before stop. If just like the video, that's normal. My m4 with ccb has exactly same noise before stop.
yeah i mean pretty much anytime im on the brakes (mainly lightly on the brakes) this happens.....you're saying that harmonic howling happens to everyone with CCB's?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yeah i mean pretty much anytime im on the brakes (mainly lightly on the brakes) this happens.....you're saying that harmonic howling happens to everyone with CCB's?
The noise I have only occurs when
1.close to stop, Which is very light brake too,
and
2.very slow speed (below 20mph)even without stepping on brake.

Noise doesn't happen when
1.brake is cold,
2.mid and hard brake, and
3.speed over 20mph.

I don't know others but in general it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
Butty45
Private
Rep

That's definitely not normal. I have CCB's on my M4 and is 5 months old and the brakes are silent. I do drive hard and it's been on track (Nurburgring) and German Autobahn. I think the secret with these brakes is at least once a week you need to use them hard. I mean really mash the brake pedal and engage ABS a few times.... Go find a quiet back road and try out some hard braking and see if any better after. If not, take it back. You've got a warranty..use it and don't give up until they replace them. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
has it happened the whole few years youve had the car?
Yes.
      05-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butty45 View Post
That's definitely not normal. I have CCB's on my M4 and is 5 months old and the brakes are silent. I do drive hard and it's been on track (Nurburgring) and German Autobahn. I think the secret with these brakes is at least once a week you need to use them hard. I mean really mash the brake pedal and engage ABS a few times.... Go find a quiet back road and try out some hard braking and see if any better after. If not, take it back. You've got a warranty..use it and don't give up until they replace them. Best of luck.
CCBs are not silent in daily driving.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

It's not BMW CCBs. Just google "Carbon ceramic brake noise"
      05-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #16
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP\2018 X5 35i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I guess some of us just get lucky then. I have had my car for 18 months and am just under 20k miles and my brakes are quiet 99% of the time. When I do get a noise it's minor. For reference, I drive a little spirited and have also had the car on track 8-10 times since I got it. Maybe that helps.....
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
So I've read multiple threads on this forum about people with squeaky CCB's but my problem is worse than that its like a damn loud violin harmonic noise when i brake most of the time (when the foot is partially on the brakes). I bought this car used 3 months ago with 33k miles on it and a couple people told me forgo the CCB's but I wanted a SMB fully loaded with comp pack and the only one at the time that looked good had the CCB's. I have tried a couple things people on those threads discussed which is rinsing/spraying the rotors when cold and bedding the hell out of the brakes. Each one fixes the issue maybe for ONE DAY and then its back to the harmonic noise.

I took the car in a few days ago to BMW since I'm still under warranty and they told me these are "normal" noises the CCB's make (they even showed me a SIB about it)....I have to believe that THIS noise is not normal....Anyone in here that was able to fix the issue? thx

Few things to note:

Very possible the pads are low enough to expose the copper pins.

Soaking MCCB and "bedding the hell" out of them is a bad thing to do.

Those two combined will lead to very noisy brakes.

Now, did the car originally come with MCCB or was it a retrofit? Any coding changes done?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

Few things to note:

Now, did the car originally come with MCCB or was it a retrofit? Any coding changes done?
Car came with these brakes and day 1 after driving an hour it started to do this, it's nothing I did to them
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #19
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Few things to note:

Car came with these brakes and day 1 after driving an hour it started to do this, it's nothing I did to them
How many MM of pad material remaining? I'd wager it's past time for pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #20
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Few things to note:

Nope 5mm in back and 6-7mm in front,..bmw told me this a few days ago when I brought the car in
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #21
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Few things to note:

Nope 5mm in back and 6-7mm in front,..bmw told me this a few days ago when I brought the car in
They're past the recommended MCCB pad replacement point in the rear, at the recommended point in front. Absolute minimum is 4mm (no longer usable). New pads and proper break-in (gentle not aggressive for 500-1000mi) should resolve it as long as there isn't a very thick contamination layer on the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Few things to note:

They're past the recommended MCCB pad replacement point in the rear, at the recommended point in front. Absolute minimum is 4mm (no longer usable). New pads and proper break-in (gentle not aggressive for 500-1000mi) should resolve it as long as there isn't a very thick contamination layer on the rotors.
Got it, they told me around 1400 for both front and rear pad replacement with labor, does that sound about right? Also how long should new pads last with only street use?
Appreciate 0