Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-03-2024, 02:35 AM   #1
V.I.P.
Rep
Drives: M4

BMW M4 F83 convertible top (roof) not operating (pictures added)!

Dear fellow members,

I will try to explain step by step and hope that someone will have some ideas or solutions as I am definitely not the only one in the world with such case as I have read that people got water in the trunk on these cars.

Roof was working properly last summer. In November car got washed very deeply and it from somewhere got water (guessing that clogged drains) in the trunk.
As a result I got 2 errors on INPA-D in two modules (CTP - convertible top module and GHAS, which caused my differential not to lock).
After inspecting the trunk I found out that these modules were wet. Took the modules out, left them for week to dry, dried the trunk, drained the water from drain plug on both sides (was a lot), cleaned everything, reinstalled the modules, cleared error codes and the car was working good without errors (did not check the roof operation though as it was spring/winter).

Now it's spring, tried to open the roof, the roof unlatches, but does not move any further and nothing else happens (no sound of pump) and this message pops up:

When holding the roof opening button, this message appears:

Holding the roof button in closing position, the roof latches and closes, no more errors.

Connecting INPA-D, the car has no errors in any of the modules (including convertible top module).

Tried to test and trigger all components in the module and found nothing suspicious except when triggering the Hall microswitch sensors and reading their state, it shows this:

12 out of 21 sensors show "Supply voltage is switched off or faulty", which looks weird to me.

I tried disconnecting one of the sensors with status "Supply voltage is switched off or faulty", status did not change, but now got active error in the module.

After connecting it back, the error was not active anymore, but the status did not change.

I somehow do not believe that 12 out of 21 sensors went bad at the same time. So I am thinking it's the CTM module, but I inspected it yesterday, no visual signs of corrosion, but might still be faulty?

Any ideas? What looks like a reason for the problem for more experienced technicians here?
Just don't want to buy the module if it is not the reason + internet says, it needs coding (?)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by V.I.P.; 04-03-2024 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:49 AM   #2
V.I.P.
Rep
Drives: M4

Little update: another guy adviced me to check the two salmon relays next to the motor/pump. I replaced them, but still norhing.the roof unlatches, I then hear clicking sound of the rear relays, but nothing more, no movement of the roof / noise from the pump.

Is there a way to test the motor/pump? Thanks!
Appreciate 0