Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

02-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Performance mods?

Anyone had their M3/4 tuned up? JB4, Flash, Downpipes, full exhaust, intake? Did you think it was worth it? Would you recommend a shop? I've got a Comp pack coming in about two weeks - went with it on the advice that it'll provide a better tuning base over a standard car. Having said that, I'm only 6 months in to my X5 50i - I still don't think that's slow yet!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
thebatman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M

I would never put a cheap cheating Piggy back tune on an ///M car. Your spending $140k + on a car and you wanna put a cheap $800 box in it?
It's an M4 for goodness sake. Give it the respect it deserves and get a proper flash tune.
While the JB4 gives you gains, it is really only tricking the ecu, a flash alters all the factory parameters (fuel, timing, boost) to always give you a recalibrate car.

Most people go for drop in filters (BMC), downpipes (catless or catted is up to you) and bench flash tune. Sets you back approx $5k, raises power and torque from 317kw (331kw in ZCP) and 550NM to 400KW and 700NM.

But before you go tuning your car, it's best to 'learn the car' straight from factory with the stock setting. Most people will not be able to utilise all that power and torque properly anyways in street or track level. You really need to adapt to the car and harness all its potential properly before you start wanting more.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

Yes, you made your point in the other thread. You're driving what and have what mods done to it? JB4 is a quality thing from BMS, and is a known quantity. The point of my post in the .Au sub forum is to see who has done what with their cars. I know Evolve in Melbourne do PP-Performace - who I have trusted before. What else is out there?

Last edited by mynameisplayer; 02-10-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
F45m3
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
Anyone had their M3/4 tuned up? JB4, Flash, Downpipes, full exhaust, intake? Did you think it was worth it? Would you recommend a shop? I've got a Comp pack coming in about two weeks - went with it on the advice that it'll provide a better tuning base over a standard car. Having said that, I'm only 6 months in to my X5 50i - I still don't think that's slow yet!
I've been wanting to do the same mods to my brand new comp pack M3 butttttt I kinda want to keep my warranty. So I'm thinking just put the jb4 stage 1 and leave it till I get over the upgrade.

Is it true you need a reflash if you do downpipes as it will trigger the O2 sensors?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 01:30 AM   #5
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
I have catless DP's and a JB4 with a Magnaflow exhaust
I originally did it only for the sound, but the added performance is quite amazing.
Even in Economy with full traction on the back will often step out.
Traction is hard to come by - I haven't driven it in MDM mode on the street since getting the JB4.

Personally, I love having that extra power.
For those that say it will ruin the car, I have had piggy chips on 3 different BMW's since 2009 and never had any issues.
It's only if you are constantly going to push the $hit out of it for hours on end that it might start to cause issues.
I only push it hard every now and then and boy is it fun.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

Thanks for that. I reckon it'll be a while before I feel it slow and need to mod it. Hopefully I can I can catch a few more cars with mods at M days/Club days I intend to get to.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Hey mate,

I've got a 2015 F80 M3, I've just done the Bootmod3 stage 1 Flash tune from Protuningfreaks in canada! So yeah just running standard cats with Mperformance exhaust. I organised it with the Australian distributor 'Millennium motorsport' in Queensland!

My car did not have the over run burble factory, now that i have it with the bootmod3 tune the car has been transformed! I had a JB4, they are rubbish!! My honest opinion is that they are cheap and nasty! The only way is flash tuning.... It's so much more responsive and smoother in the way it delivers the power, compared to standard the car is so much more alive and heaps more fun! I'm running and 295 on the rear and it lights them up no problemo!! And yes, once you have had the power it is very hard to go back!

Last edited by JL1; 02-13-2017 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

did you send your ECU to them to crack it, or drive it to them?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Most of the cars we do get a flash tune (done in house) but we do sell a few JBs (predominantely JB1s as opposed to JB4s). The popularity of the JB1 is due to it being inexpensive, actually giving decent results you can feel and ease of removal when it's time for servicing.
That said, we are getting very good power out of flash tunes now with the option to add in overrun burble, pops, crackles or none.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #10
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
did you send your ECU to them to crack it, or drive it to them?
Yes mate, i removed my ECU and sent it to Millennium Motorsport. They cracked it and bench flashed it. Then you purchase the license from Protuningfreaks and you get 1 map with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #11
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

I've seen the vids of the ECU remove...FFS, take out the intake maninifold?! Keen!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #12
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

I've got a 2016 F82 M4.

- flash tune
- eventuri cold air intake
- frequency intelligent catback exhaust

Pushing 640nm & 320kw at the rears

Thing is another type of beast - a lot quicker than stock. Getting to 200km's is a breeze.

Brother has an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish - I beat him.

Dad has an Aston Martin GT12 - I JUST keep up with him.

Gonna get some catless downpipes next, then should be a fair bit quicker again.
      02-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #13
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

CAI more for sound than performance? Can't imagine a bottleneck there? Who did the flash?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #14
thebatman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer
Yes, you made your point in the other thread. You're driving what and have what mods done to it? JB4 is a quality thing from BMS, and is a known quantity. The point of my post in the .Au sub forum is to see who has done what with their cars. I know Evolve in Melbourne do PP-Performace - who I have trusted before. What else is out there?
I was kind enough to give you advice when you opened up a question on a thread, but instead you are the most arrogant d$ck. As you can clearly see in some of the responses, yes the JB4 gives you added performance, not doubt about it, but it is merely only a cheap way by tricking the ecu. The only reason why people use it is because the Bosch sYstem DME hasn't yet been cracked to do a straight OBD2 port flash tune, so they are using an external box to re route the some of the sensors before it goes to the main ecu. There are many that have gone the bench flash tune route and some aren't on this forum to tell you, but some are and can tell you that that is purely the "real way to tune a car". They have also seen what a JB4 does and given you their thoughts as well.

You want to use a JB4 on your car, go right ahead.
Seems like you worship it like gospel by saying it's a top quality product from BMS. Go through the threads and see how many people have issues with JB4 on their cars, from N54, N55, B58 and S55. These don't just include installation dilemmas, short circuits, completely frying the DME, waiting for it to always adapting to the car, waiting for it to work at times and not at times, etc etc....and if you think that people say the S55 ecu is so advanced now, that the JB4 can easily overcome any issues then you are seriously mislead. Tell me, do you hear the exact same amount of people or cases reporting issues with flash tuning?

Ever heard of a Porsche 911 turbo, supra, GTR use a Piggy back? No, a "Real PLAYER" doesn't do that to his car, end of story.
But I guess for someone to call themself "My name is Player" must be a real Baller, asking about how to tune, other threads like "how much people pay for insurance", "should I pay 5k in mods or get zcp", "how long it takes for my car to arrive", "should I get paint protection", Etc etc...
Yeah you sound like a real "Player"

Maybe you should change your username to "MynameisACheapAssLittleBitch"

Oh and FYI, I don't need to tell you what cars I drive, how much money I got, what ///M I own! What I've got on my car etc etc... I don't need to prove Jacksh$t to you coz I ain't a "PLAYER"...
I'm thebatman
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1344950

I'll just refer people to this thread and they can make their own mind up on your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #16
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
what's with the picture of the LHD lambo?

anyway, I would have to agree that a good flash tune is going to be better than a JB4, but so is a GTS better than a standard M4.

For the money, the JB4 is a great bang for buck solution.
Appreciate 0