EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #67
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistahsleepy View Post
Hi Guys,

I had a very irritating experience and wanted everyone's input on how to proceed.

I picked up a MY17 M4 ZCP on 6/30 of this year. It is a fantastic vehicle and an absolute dream. I scheduled the 1200 mile running in service Monday 7/24 and dropped the vehicle off with 1300 miles on the odo and slightly less than 1/2 tank of gas.

My car was pulling slightly to the right at all speeds so I ask my SA if they can perform an alignment check. They agree to this and tell me that the alignment is off so it would take them a few more hours. I grab a loaner and go to work, in the afternoon my SA calls me and says that they performed the alignment but the car still pulls to the right and per BMW they need to reprogram the car which would take more time. I am told I will be able to pick up my car the following day.

The next day I get a call that my car is ready for pick-up. Through the BMW connected drive app I notice that the car has been driven 11 miles but what's surprising is that it only had 3 gallons left in the tank with estimated range of 85 miles. This was very odd as last when I checked after dropping the car off it had 5 gallons and around 160 miles range.

Upon getting in my car the first thing I do is check the mpg, it is a shocking 8.1 mpg based on previous 2.7 miles driven when it was last reset. I take a picture of this which I have attached to this thread, also notice that the car now has a qtr tank of gas. They literally burned through a qtr tank of gas in 11 miles.

All of this points to the car being driven extremely hard while it was at the dealer. I understand that to test alignment you would need to drive it, even though 11 miles seems a bit high I can understand. I cannot understand why the car needed to be driven so hard for these 11 miles to return 8.1 mpg and burn through a qtr tank of gas.

I spoke with someone about this and they had the service manager give me a call. He was very apologetic and said they would launch an internal investigation regarding the technician that worked on my car.

What's everyone's opinion regarding this incident? Am I overreacting? I just feel very wronged that someone took my car and drove it that hard, I haven't even had the chance to drive it hard enough to return single digit MPG!

Any advice or experience with how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't get too excited. They most likely left it idling someplace, causing the same behavior.

If your car was pulling, 11 miles is not unreasonable for them to test on different road situations.

You can't prove that anyone drove your car hard, nor can you prove my theory.

You also don't know if they didn't reset the MPG counter. Often during service they reset everything and I find all of my meters off. But by the looks of it... they likely reset the meters... since your trip meter only says 2.7... so they probably just left it idling when they reset at 2.7 and is showing horrendous mileage for those 2 miles
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #68
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

OP you should have gotten the dealer to get BMW pull the blackbox data (whatever it's called) on the car for those 11 miles so you have have seen exactly how fast and what RPM the car hit. /s
Appreciate 0