INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #45
SD ///M4
Blue (and Orange) Bimmers Rule!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Coupe | 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Sorry about the spelling. Did you not get what I said?

I guess your second language is better than mine.
Touché! I'm not conversational in any language, and I know only a tiny bit of French, Spanish, and German, despite my best efforts. I'll definitely give a pass for English not being your native language (it's tough!).

Poor spelling/misuse of words is a pet peeve of mine and on Bimmerpost misuse of brake/break (and brakes/breaks) is probably the most common. (Axle/axel is another one.) But spelling matters, particularly when you're using a search engine, because if you want to see if anyone else had a problem with their brakes, and you search for breaks, you're only going to find the posts where someone misused the word and miss most of the relevant information. Sorry if I seemed to pick on you personally, it was really intended as more of a general observation.

Quote:
Since we are on the language subject, shouldn't it be "...someone posts ...... in his post" to be grammatically correct?

But on second thought, I'll give you a break. Or should I have said, "I'll give you a brake"?
I think that my sentence was generally grammatically correct, except that on re-reading my original post I noticed that I wrote "posts a image" when I should have written "posts an image". I've fixed the OP.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #46
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Just pull the hand break, which is also called parking break, for that reason. You'll get an indicator light in the cluster as well.

If the slope is too severe, then shut the engine off to put the gear into P, in addition to the hand break.

Except then the F$^*@NG car then yells at you to secure the vehicle against rolling... how am I supposed to secure the vehicle against rolling if I can't put it in park without shutting it off?

So then next question is, then does it make sense to treat those situations like a manual? If the nose is facing downhill, pull the brake and keep the car in reverse; or if uphill put the car in 1, and pull the hand brake?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #47
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Unsure if it's been mentioned yet as I've not read the thread in entirety, but feel it's worth stating even if repetitive:
EGS aka DCT cannot be coded.
There's no CAFD to code.

This is (also) why it's kind of laughable when those selling pricey "TCU Tunes" are just selling the GTS flash and are literally selling neither special nor proprietary variants, let alone differentiated.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #48
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Yas Marina Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Except then the F$^*@NG car then yells at you to secure the vehicle against rolling...
Mine never has when the parking brake is engaged.

In fact, it never has anyway, unless I experiment with very strange and unnatural things.

In a normal scenario (come to a stop, depress the Stop button to turn off the engine), the car switches into "Park", which is to say it engages a gear. Maybe there's a parking pawl. Maybe not. Since I use the parking brake, that doesn't matter so I haven't checked.

Quote:
how am I supposed to secure the vehicle against rolling if I can't put it in park without shutting it off?
"Park" isn't really a concept that applies to manual transmission vehicles. It really only applies to automatic transmissions.

The DCT is a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. It is not in gear when the accelerator is not depressed. If I take my foot off the accelerator when the car is stopped, it does not creep because it is not in gear. It might roll if the road isn't level, because it's not in gear. The solution for that is for me to put my foot on the brake pedal.

If, for some reason, you need to have your engine running and secure the car against rolling, use your parking brake. Do you really have good reasons for doing that as opposed to going ahead and turning off your engine?

Quote:
So then next question is, then does it make sense to treat those situations like a manual?
Given that it is "a manual", albeit a computer-controlled one, of course it makes sense to treat it as one.

Quote:
If the nose is facing downhill, pull the brake and keep the car in reverse; or if uphill put the car in 1, and pull the hand brake?
Gear doesn't matter. With an old-style manual, it makes no difference which "direction" the car wouldn't be moving in terms of putting it in gear. All that matters is that it's in gear so rolling would require the pistons to move. Same with a DCT, except that when you shut off your engine it'll switch to "P".
2017 M4 Cabriolet Yas Marina Blue
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #49
///M4ster Yoda
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

I'll chime in here. I had a 2011 335is DCT which I believe was the same DCT in the e9x M3. That car had a park button on the shifter. It took a little getting used to for me with the F82 DCT not having a physical park button. I have a very long steep driveway so I stop at the bottom to get the mail and not having a park button is kinda of annoying. Granted I just pull the e break (still in drive mode) and get out but it would have been nicer to have that park button. The anti roll message that pops up still kinda freaks me out like the car is gonna roll away. 1st world problems. Love our cars!

1st ED Aug/Sept 2013 '14 335 - 2nd ED May/June 2015 '16 428i (Dad's Ride) - 3rd ED July/August 2016 '16 340 and '16 M4
Appreciate 0