Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #221
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
This will be a game changer once the tuners get a hold of it.
this is not a game changer, TUNERS will blow your warranty! On an M3 I expect it to be different and powerful out of the box. The only route i can see this going is M division now having tune packages available for big $$$ to jack your M3, if they do this then it make sense otherwise

same hp ... 6 cyl... sounds nowhere near as nice as N/A.... does not rev as high.... alot of downsides to a 70k car.

There must be a silver lining somewhere, I just cant see it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #222
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
this is not a game changer, TUNERS will blow your warranty! On an M3 I expect it to be different and powerful out of the box. The only route i can see this going is M division now having tune packages available for big $$$ to jack your M3, if they do this then it make sense otherwise

same hp ... 6 cyl... sounds nowhere near as nice as N/A.... does not rev as high.... alot of downsides to a 70k car.

Hey!!!!!!! Don't rain on my parade.. But I agree with you that the V8 is an unmistakable motor. I'm so glad I have an E92 ///M. I just think that the F3X ///M MUST have something in store to wow us. (I THINK)
      10-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #223
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
TUNERS will blow your warranty!
Not exactly correct.

Dinan tunes (I guess he's a tuner) do not void your warranty. Dinan has some kind of agreement with BMW which keeps the BMW warranty in effect even with Dinan Mods. In fact, some BMW dealers will do DINAN tunes on your car.
I don't know that this is the case for everything Dinan offers, but, if you want some extra poop in the old M3 and your concerned about the warranty, check out Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #224
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Not exactly correct.

Dinan tunes (I guess he's a tuner) do not void your warranty. Dinan has some kind of agreement with BMW which keeps the BMW warranty in effect even with Dinan Mods. In fact, some BMW dealers will do DINAN tunes on your car.
I don't know that this is the case for everything Dinan offers, but, if you want some extra poop in the old M3 and your concerned about the warranty, check out Dinan.
No, you do not keep your original, factory warranty with a DINAN tuned engine.
      10-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #225
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
LOL! It amazes me that people still try to compare a modded car to a stock one.
I can slap a Hayabusa 1300cc motor into a smart car and it will spank your precious little 335 all day long -> 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.. How about an STI with a chip and down pipe compared to your stock 335?
We can make other comparisons? Does any of that make sense yet?
right. because comparing BMWs that share the same engine block, similar weight and driving characteristics is the same as comparing subaru to a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #226
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
smh at the 335i guys who of course always come with with their HP smack talk. As if the M3 is always just about the power
Well people ARE complaining about the power here in THIS thread. Don't get mad that there are a gazillion 335i cars making this sort of power already. And if you hate the suspension that much then drop about $5k into it and get it how you like it.

Here let me turn that on its head for you:
smh at the M3 guys who of course always come with with their handling smack talk. As if the 335i is always just about the handling

When I owned my S2000, I used to (and still do) laugh about M3 owners talking about their handling or how poor electric-assist steering is.
      10-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #227
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
If it doesn't need to rev as high to make the power, then why is that a downside? Because racecar? If anything it's an upside; lower rpm engines tend to have less stress.

And that 6cyl sounds amazing when done right. I don't think it can be helped that there's very few exhaust manufacturers that know what they're doing that sell parts for the 3 series. And seriously, the E46 M3 sounded like ASS. One of the worst sounding engines every made stock.
      10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #228
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
right. because comparing BMWs that share the same engine block, similar weight and driving characteristics is the same as comparing subaru to a bmw.
You're clearly missing the point.
How about if I re-phrase it for you too?
How about a BMW 135 with a chip and downpipe compared to your stock BMW 335????
Does that make sense to you? Modded vs stock. It doesn't matter about similar driving characteristics, engine block. You're still comparing a stock car with a modded one. ANYONE can MOD just about any car (BMW vs BMW or BMW vs something else) and it will spank a stock one
That goes without saying
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4

Last edited by DiavelM3; 10-09-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #229
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
troll city lol.
      10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #230
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman View Post
No, you do not keep your original, factory warranty with a DINAN tuned engine.
I have a Dinan (software + exhaust +...) tuned car. Before I put the stuff on my car, I checked with my dealer who said the BMW warranty was not affected. I have since brought my car in to the dealer to have warranty work (admittedly small stuff) done on it and have never been turned away. They simply put the words "Dinan tuned" on the work order.
If you look on this map, http://www.dinancars.com/dealers/, you will find many, many BMW dealers who will put Dinan products on your car. My guess is, these dealers would not perform mods which they new would void the BMW warranty. I don't think it would be good for business.
Dina appears to have some kind of in with BMW. However promising that might appear, it would still be smart to check into the warranty issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #231
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
I have a Dinan (software + exhaust +...) tuned car. Before I put the stuff on my car, I checked with my dealer who said the BMW warranty was not affected. I have since brought my car in to the dealer to have warranty work (admittedly small stuff) done on it and have never been turned away. They simply put the words "Dinan tuned" on the work order.
If you look on this map, http://www.dinancars.com/dealers/, you will find many, many BMW dealers who will put Dinan products on your car. My guess is, these dealers would not perform mods which they new would void the BMW warranty. I don't think it would be good for business.
Dina appears to have some kind of in with BMW. However promising that might appear, it would still be smart to check into the warranty issue.
Small stuff no problem, bit if the engine ever needs replacing you can bet your bottom dollar BMW will say nope, and good luck getting a dealer or dinan to pony up $35,000 for a crate S65. Pay to play- take any claims to the contrary by a stealership or dinan with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #232
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
From the same site: http://www.dinancars.com/warranty.aspx
"If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty..... Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold. To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer"

Dinan does its best to match the original, factory-warranty on its parts and work, and dealerships do have a rapport with Dinan to put its warranty to work. But the parts that you mod are no longer warrantied by BMW themselves. As such, the warranty claim does need to be handled at a Dinan-authorized dealership.

"CARS NO LONGER COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER'S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Dinan Performance Products are warranted for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.
"

This can be a good thing, because Dinan gives at least 2 years of warranty on its products. So if you have the Dinan mods done when you have less than 2 years left on your otherwise factory warranty, you get the peace of mind in knowing there is still a warranty on the mods you've done, though courtesy of Dinan, not BMW.
      10-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #233
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I am concerned that some are pointing out that aftermarket 335i would be better than M3?

Which makes me long for the days when Gerhard Richter ran the M Division.
Richter was not a man you could argue with he told you straight which is why he did state that if you take an M car from showroom to the aftermarket you no longer have an M car.

An M car builds upon a BMW , everything is reconfigured to suit each individual model, specific model technology is developed to adapt to that model and that includes the M configured electric steering. People I know who have driven the new configuration say it makes the M3/M4 the car that it is. The BMW i8 also gets a further enhancement of this steering to suit this model.
Communication for the driver is important for any BMW but M knows that this must be expanded further with an M model.
There's always been the argument that it's not right modify an //M car, but the GTS pretty much blew that theory. It has KW Competition coilovers and Brembo calipers with BMW rotors.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #234
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

very very nice.
i like it a lot.

black with red would be so hot to have.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #235
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Wow this thread hit the cliff.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #236
jtvr4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
And if you hate the suspension that much then drop about $5k into it and get it how you like it.

Here let me turn that on its head for you:
smh at the M3 guys who of course always come with with their handling smack talk. As if the 335i is always just about the handling
:

It's going to take more than 5k to toss a 335i on the track with an M3 and compete on a regular basis...

Coil overs and a tune are not going to do it but you already knew that.

ON TOPIC:

If BMW can get the power band right than that's all anyone here should care about. Flat torque curve please.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #237
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:

More torque and lighter the the current M3? I think that silver lining will come in the form of tail lights for current M3 owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #238
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
More torque and lighter the the current M3? I think that silver lining will come in the form of tail lights for current M3 owners.
But its increased torque will have little if nothing to do with it being faster. It will be faster because it will have an improved power to weight ratio.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #239
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I think a lot of people will be content with more torque and a lighter car overall.. but not me personally. If BMW offers a reasonably priced tune package (which, honestly, who are we kidding, will probably not be reasonably priced) then I'll stick to the M brand.

If not.. well, I'm already looking at GTR's.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #240
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Same power...

That is really dissapointing . More torque if produced at lower RPMs does not translate in better acceleration. As was often debated on this forum, power to weight is the better indication of the acceleration capabilites of a drivetrain.

Less weight is a very good thing. But shedding 200-300lb won't be enough to keep the M3 competitive IMO, as it will only improve power to weight by a mere 5.5%. This is the equivalent of increasing power on the E9X by 23hp...

Maybe BMW will surprise us by underrating the F80/F82 as they have with all other recent engines. If 420 quoted translates in 450ish actual, then I'm happy .

BTW, that render does look good .
To make the argument worse, there are many who argue that mid 2010 models and later benefit from a SW update to the ECU that seems to result in about 20 more hp on dynos. With many of the 2010.5s already putting out about 440 hp on a dyno, there isn't that much difference it would appear.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #241
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
LOL! It amazes me that people still try to compare a modded car to a stock one.
I can slap a Hayabusa 1300cc motor into a smart car and it will spank your precious little 335 all day long -> 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.. How about an STI with a chip and down pipe compared to your stock 335?
We can make other comparisons? Does any of that make sense yet?
Actually a Smartuki will not "spank" a 335. I heard about these and looked into it. You'll be lucky to get mid 4's in 0-60 with one. Most people seem to struggle to get under 6 seconds, and that is IF they can get the thing running. Keeping it running is an entirely different matter.

While that may beat the 0-60 in 2 weeks of a standard Smart, it is hardly earth shattering.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #242
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
Actually a Smartuki will not "spank" a 335. I heard about these and looked into it. You'll be lucky to get mid 4's in 0-60 with one. Most people seem to struggle to get under 6 seconds, and that is IF they can get the thing running. Keeping it running is an entirely different matter.

While that may beat the 0-60 in 2 weeks of a standard Smart, it is hardly earth shattering.
LOL, you obviously didn't "look into" it very hard. In the video below it "spanked" a 490 HP Ferrari 430 and you're saying that it will "not" spank a bone stock 335? Nice try man, you're only fooling yourself
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0