Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

09-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #529
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
I have week 40, maybe I should delay mine to 43. Week 43 is 10/16. Still another full week in October after that.
I wouldn’t go delaying... if I google week 43 I get October 23rd on one site and 27th on another. I don’t know any specifics about BMW week numbers?

Also I would imagine the CF drive shaft isn’t the first thing when they start production, so naturally a cf drive shaft car would need to start production before the changeover date.
If your build week is week 43, that means your car in on track to finish production by at least October 29th. Basically production week equals the last week of your cars production.
Do you have a source on that? My friend is a manager at BMW dealership and he said that's not the case. That's when the car actually starts production.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #530
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutRanger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have week 40, maybe I should delay mine to 43. Week 43 is 10/16. Still another full week in October after that.
I wouldnÂ’t go delaying... if I google week 43 I get October 23rd on one site and 27th on another. I donÂ’t know any specifics about BMW week numbers?

Also I would imagine the CF drive shaft isnÂ’t the first thing when they start production, so naturally a cf drive shaft car would need to start production before the changeover date.
If your build week is week 43, that means your car in on track to finish production by at least October 29th. Basically production week equals the last week of your cars production.
Do you have a source on that? My friend is a manager at BMW dealership and he said that's not the case. That's when the car actually starts production.
BMW told me my build week was week 37 but I had my VIN in week 36 and my car was indeed released to port on week 37 so production week should be week that it is completed.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #531
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn’t go delaying... if I google week 43 I get October 23rd on one site and 27th on another. I don’t know any specifics about BMW week numbers?

Also I would imagine the CF drive shaft isn’t the first thing when they start production, so naturally a cf drive shaft car would need to start production before the changeover date.
BMW told me my build week was week 37 but I had my VIN before that and my car was indeed released to port on week 37 so production week should be week that it is completed.
I see. I guess it just varies then. Or my friend was misunderstood. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #532
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
BMW cared enough to make it part of their marketing when launching the car.

I guess, Not a reason I bought my M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #533
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Yeah my source is the head of VIP Individual Ordering for BMW NA, and Fritz at BMW Individual in Germany. Not to mention that when I just tracked my production, my VIR said week 35 and car went into production week 33 and finished in week 35. So maybe your friend is mistaken? I am sure it varies for others. Some cars get VINs 2-3 weeks before the production week but do not actually go into production until the production week and are built within 3/4 days. Individual orders can take longer.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3614.00
      09-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #534
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
RULE #1 of M-CLUB:
Never EVER, never, under any circumstances, EVER listen to a dealer.

Appreciate 4
CanAutM321121.00
Ibiza3614.00
stormlv932.00
      09-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #535
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldnÂ’t go delaying... if I google week 43 I get October 23rd on one site and 27th on another. I donÂ’t know any specifics about BMW week numbers?

Also I would imagine the CF drive shaft isnÂ’t the first thing when they start production, so naturally a cf drive shaft car would need to start production before the changeover date.
I will 3rd this that the manager is wrong, as my contact at the PC to schedule a specific date for a F85 pick-up told me a specific build week, as the vehicle would finish production by then.
      10-13-2017, 02:27 AM   #536
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Could do the trick of lowering the vehicle sales price then add the "performance bits" to match the original price and performance in the relevant market. Assumption here though is that BMW will continue with manufacturing CFRP driveshafts.
      10-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #537
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Could do the trick of lowering the vehicle sales price then add the "performance bits" to match the original price and performance in the relevant market. Assumption here though is that BMW will continue with manufacturing CFRP driveshafts.
I’m not 100% sure I’m understanding you but I’ll give it a shot. Bmws position is they’re being removed to make space for a particulate filter, they will not be selling any of them except the gts (CS?) with carbon fibre drive shaft. It’s worldwide and it’s not going to be an option.

This I have confirmed in writing that as of November all m3’s cop the steel drive shaft. Only the GTS doesn’t because of some production limit exemption.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #538
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I’m not 100% sure I’m understanding you but I’ll give it a shot. Bmws position is they’re being removed to make space for a particulate filter, they will not be selling any of them except the gts (CS?) with carbon fibre drive shaft. It’s worldwide and it’s not going to be an option.

This I have confirmed in writing that as of November all m3’s cop the steel drive shaft. Only the GTS doesn’t because of some production limit exemption.
You probably mean CS here. Since the GTS has already finished its production run all with CF driveshafts, it is a moot discussion point.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #539
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Yes CF driveshafts will still be produced, but I don’t follow the logic of incentives for cars that have the steel unit installed.

Quote:

I still do not know why you’re being told AUS is being impacted as it’s an EU5 country until 2020 (after production ends). Not All M3/4 worldwide receive the steel unit in November. It’s a gradual roll out over months for specific market destination vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #540
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Yes CF driveshafts will still be produced, but I don’t follow the logic of incentives for cars that have the steel unit installed.

I still do not know why you’re being told AUS is being impacted as it’s an EU5 country until 2020 (after production ends). Not All M3/4 worldwide receive the steel unit in November. It’s a gradual roll out over months for specific market destination vehicles.
Do you have any idea if UK cars will receive the steel driveshaft in November ? I ordered an Individual paint car back in June and the production week has been gradually pushed back and back. It's now at production week 47. Dealer says it may pull forward but I can't see that happening in all honesty. It's not a deal breaker, more curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #541
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
Do you have any idea if UK cars will receive the steel driveshaft in November ? I ordered an Individual paint car back in June and the production week has been gradually pushed back and back. It's now at production week 47. Dealer says it may pull forward but I can't see that happening in all honesty. It's not a deal breaker, more curiosity.
My understanding is individual customer order cars under EU6c/d won’t switch until sometime in 2018.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #542
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

No I’m certain of this. I’ve had it confirmed by bmw Australia and Germany. Directly.

My car is week 43 build and will only just sneak in the carbon fibre shaft.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #543
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You probably mean CS here. Since the GTS has already finished its production run all with CF driveshafts, it is a moot discussion point.
Thanks you are probably right. I was reading in an article. I could have sworn the article mntioned gts but maybe it was cs
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #544
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is individual customer order cars under EU6c/d won’t switch until sometime in 2018.
Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #545
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
No I’m certain of this. I’ve had it confirmed by bmw Australia and Germany. Directly.

My car is week 43 build and will only just sneak in the carbon fibre shaft.
If that’s the case, that means there is some market reallocation not yet disclosed that will be done, but it’s going to mean those cars will have to come back to have the PPF retrofitted as the sulfur content is too high in AUS fuel. If you want to PM me the German rep’s name, I can confirm if they’re in a position to give an accurate response and a bit more info.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #546
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
Thanks !
That’s definitely not 100% due to the Brexit instability. Right now things are subject to extreme last minute changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #547
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s definitely not 100% due to the Brexit instability. Right now things are subject to extreme last minute changes.
Interesting. I'll have to wait and see then, I suppose.
Appreciate 1
Absurdium152.00
      10-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #548
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

Are we able to confirm the mentioned specification of the driveshaft from a while back now that we're closer to the proposed switchover date? If the specs are true, wouldn't the new stainless steel shaft potentially be more effective in terms of minimizing drivetrain loss depending on if the shaft is 56mm or 75mm? I = mr^2 so with 56mm, the new shaft would actually reduce the rotational moment by 30% over the CF... assuming CF reduces weight by 5.5lbs for a shaft that weighs about 20lbs. With 75mm, the new stainless steel shaft would indeed be inferior, by about 7%. However I have a hard time believing BMW revised the new shaft to just minimize the footprint of the shaft by <10mm... Of course this is only in regards to drivetrain weight reduction benefit, not the stiffness benefit of the CF. I feel like the problem may be that BMW initially over-marketed the CF driveshaft, or that the engineering division wanted the stiffness factor more than reducing drivetrain loss, but the marketing division wanted to hype the weight reduction without considering the physics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #549
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
Are we able to confirm the mentioned specification of the driveshaft from a while back now that we're closer to the proposed switchover date? If the specs are true, wouldn't the new stainless steel shaft potentially be more effective in terms of minimizing drivetrain loss depending on if the shaft is 56mm or 75mm? I = mr^2 so with 56mm, the new shaft would actually reduce the rotational moment by 30% over the CF... assuming CF reduces weight by 5.5lbs for a shaft that weighs about 20lbs. With 75mm, the new stainless steel shaft would indeed be inferior, by about 7%. However I have a hard time believing BMW revised the new shaft to just minimize the footprint of the shaft by <10mm... Of course this is only in regards to drivetrain weight reduction benefit, not the stiffness benefit of the CF. I feel like the problem may be that BMW initially over-marketed the CF driveshaft, or that the engineering division wanted the stiffness factor more than reducing drivetrain loss, but the marketing division wanted to hype the weight reduction without considering the physics.
You are oversimplifying the maths and physics a bit too much. The CF drive shaft has a lower polar moment of inertia than a steel one, this has been demonstrated. Further, a CF driveshaft is also stiffer than a steel one contributing to less elasticity in the drivetrain.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #550
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
You are oversimplifying the maths and physics a bit too much. The CF drive shaft has a lower polar moment of inertia than a steel one, this has been demonstrated. Further, a CF driveshaft is also stiffer than a steel one contributing to less elasticity in the drivetrain.
In which way did I simplify the physics? You could argue that the CF could possibly have a different weight distribution but a CF driveshaft is hollow just like a steel one. Also, how has it been demonstrated that the CF driveshaft specific to the F8x has a lower moment of inertia than the new steel one if there hasn't been any solid specs release on it? : I agree that for two shaft of similar diameters, a CF shaft's weight reduction would have a greater effect on reducing the moment than a thinner steel shaft as I have demonstrated in my post should the new shaft be 75mm. But since the thickness of the new shaft has not been confirmed, isn't my point of the new shaft being potentially better in terms of minimizing drivetrain loss valid?

As for the benefit of a stiffer material, I totally agree that the CF would have benefits that the steel one cannot reproduce. However, I've mentioned that in my post and that wasn't what I was questioning; I am just talking about minimizing drivetrain loss due to unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread