R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #45
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
OP, my path to the M3 started with first wanting a fully loaded F30, but then the M bug hit. For not all that much more I was in M territory, but I still could not justify the cost at the time. Not that I couldn't afford it, it's just a ton of money for four wheels where I come from (in the US).

So in walked the M2 and I thought that was the answer. It was getting nothing but rave reviews when it was released, it's smaller and cheaper than the F8x, and to me it looked great (although not F8x great). However, the first time seeing one in person was a little underwhelming. I realized that at some point, you can cram all the performance you want into any given platform, but in the end, it's still has the DNA of its root platform and it starts to lose appeal, and that's where I found myself with the M2. Not sure if that makes sense to you, but I see a lot of people here bashing cars like the STI, Civic Type R, etc, so it's along those lines. There's a point where it stops being just about raw performance, as there's so much more to a car. For me, the M2 falls in an odd segment where I think to myself, if you're going to spend that much money anyways, what's the point of an M2? Might as well go bigger. The previously mentioned cars (STI, etc.) actually make more sense to me because the price point is so much lower. Everyone's line in the sand is different though, and with that said, it might be the solution for you if money is the biggest factor keeping you from the M3/M4. Then you can brag to all of us that you're getting similar performance for much less cost.

So fast forward, and I just got my M3 about 3-4 weeks ago. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but I know I made the right choice. BTW, you said the M4 is your dream car and that an M3 "will do", but I can tell you that you would not be settling if you get an M3, just wanted to put that out there. I'll echo IDBGOD in that the M3 has a more aggressive stance... the M4 rear looks droopy and saggy to me.

Going back to your original question, though, what's it like? Others have said it. Puts smiles on faces... can't help but look back after parking it, etc. etc. I don't disagree with any of that, but if budget doesn't allow (factoring fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.), look elsewhere, or as others have said, grab life by the balls and get a better paying job to achieve your goals.

Thanks for the response. With the M2 for me something seems missing. The grill and headlights don't look right. Anyway M2 is still a stretch at the moment but I will get there.

I always wanted a BMW 3 series more for the look than anything else. At the time they all looked the same to me. Then when I finally got one I realized there is a whole world of BMWs. Started to notice the small differences that contribute to the overall look of the car. Things like m performance kit, spoilers, grill and angel eyes. To be honest M3 was the target but lately I have been seeing a lot of M4s here in the UK and the thing stole my heart.

Currently working on fixing my situation, I will have life by the balls soon
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #46
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Owning a M car was a dream of mine since I was in high school, with the E46 at the time. I went with the next best thing back then, which was a 350Z with the HR motor, which was very similar to an E46 in performance back in the day. I've stuck it out over the years until finally jumping into a M4.

My 350Z was fully modded, KW V2 coilovers, swaybars, test pipes, full exhaust, etc.. Jumping over to the M4 was still a night and day difference. BMWs in general just feels way more solid. Tons of tech, very well or over engineered. Handling from factory just blows my 350Z away even w/ coils + corner balancing. Ride quality was way better and having M Adaptive suspension gives me adjustability on the fly. M4 just handles better all around. Car stays planted in turns so much better and you have way more confidence in the handling. I had to give up an amazing exhaust sound however, but the M4 was totally worth it. Better gas mileage too. The F8X is basically an all around sports car that you can buy and not have to do much to it to have perfect satisfaction.

Owning a M car is also a status. Most people don't know or care, but you will get the occasional people checkin out the car, but not too much attention where it gets annoying. To some, it's also a goal to achieve. I've never owned a non M BMW, but after owning the M4, I'm glad I never had to and I will never buy a non M car if I was sticking with BMW brand.

Keep in mind, the M3/M4 is fairly high performance and you will likely not be able to push it to it's potential; but you know it's available to you.

M cars got that M tax. The M cars by design are already fairly peaked out from factory. Mods are a lot more expensive in comparison to the regular 3-4 series counterparts. Just be prepared for that if you plan to mod. Maintenance is also going to cost more.

The M3/M4 also hold better value than a regular 3-4 series. M1/M2 seem to hold the best at this time, so it's an upside if you keep it clean and moderate mileage.

If I were you, I'd just set a goal and do what you gotta do to achieve it. Get a used one if blowing 70-80k on a car is too extreme for you; because that's how I felt getting into mine. I got a used CPO with <10k miles for mid-upper 50k fully loaded. You can find ones w/ higher mileage (30k+) or with lesser options for close to low 50s now fairly easily.
Appreciate 1