GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #45
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Following our discussion, I was curious, so I did an experiment driving to work this morning. Accelerating from 4000 RPM in 3rd gear at 70~80% throttle for moderate acceleration and then abruptly flooring the throttle.

In Sport+, the added power came almost instantly when I floored the throttle.

In Efficient, the added power came on very gradually, taking a good second before full power was achieved, in the same way as if I would have slowly rolled onto the throttle.

I did a few runs in each setting with always the same result. It is clear to me that Efficient mode is not linear and has considerable damping in the higher RPM range. Try it, you’ll see for yourself .
Although I've settled for Efficient for the majority of the time I still switch between modes....in my car over around 3500 in third gear feels like it has a similar throttle response and power output in any throttle setting. However I rarely snap open the throttle and I can imagine that could produce some lag in Efficient mode that would not be apparent in Sport+

Coincidentally I was also out this morning with the intention of trying to better identify the differences between the throttle settings but the roads were damp so I mostly ended up with a lot of wheelspin!

My favourite is to get to around 3000 rpm in third gear and Efficient throttle...and then roll onto the throttle fairly firmly and feel the engine come on full boost, its a hoot....luckily my wife loves that feeling as well.
Appreciate 0