Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Dudes, I'm super torn between BSM and SSII.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've had an AW E92 M3 for damn near 6 years. I did the whole white/black thing and it was a sweet look for a long while, but I definitely want to change it up.

Heres my major problem, I can do the CF roof and dark wheels with SS and i think that will look pretty awesome. Black out the grills and it will look properly mean.

Black just looks clean, but I dont get the contrast of the CF bits with black.

MG is too boring for me, never clean, never dirty, just there.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
I've had an AW E92 M3 for damn near 6 years. I did the whole white/black thing and it was a sweet look for a long while, but I definitely want to change it up.

Heres my major problem, I can do the CF roof and dark wheels with SS and i think that will look pretty awesome. Black out the grills and it will look properly mean.

Black just looks clean, but I dont get the contrast of the CF bits with black.

MG is too boring for me, never clean, never dirty, just there.

What do you guys think?

Similar to you, I had AW/FR and decided to switch it up. I've always liked SS and think it's a legit color. It actually seems like you're already sold on it. Im sure that you, just like everyone else, saw that black M4 and it made you think twice. Just remember that black doesnt show the lines as well either and you are right on point with the CF parts not popping like they should. I personally think you should go with the SS if those are your choices. Otherwise, you might like SO. You don't come across as a YMB or AY type guy. Regardless, best of luck!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Samesies but I'm heavily leaning towards SS for the same reasons you stated.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
M4ever?
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4

I'd chosen SSII if it would not have that light blue hue in certain light ... definitely don't like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

A different opinion here, but I never liked SSII with the CF roof. I liked it on the E93, and the M5, but the I realized those don't have the CF roof. To me, SSII is a very unique, but polished and mature and classy, color. To make it look 'mean' seems out of place. But I've seen some examples of it, and it still looks good.

So, if getting SSII, do a CF roof delete.

And don't look at any pictures of BSM. I know everybody says it 'hides' the lines. It can be the opposite. It depends on the condition (cleanliness) of the car, and the lighting.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=26

Black just looks amazing, but requires a lot of upkeep. IMO, it can look 'mean', upscale, refined, aggressive, understated, overstated. I have to stop now before I change my color to BSM.

GL. Can't really go wrong with either choice.

Oh, one more thing. I think with the interior colors they're offering, more of them blend much better with BSM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ever? View Post
I'd chosen SSII if it would not have that light blue hue in certain light ... definitely don't like that.
100% agree
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

CSANTO, I'm getting SSII because it's easy to keep clean, low profile and IMHO looks fantastic. With CFR and other mods that you mentioned yours will look even better. GL
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Id go BSM. I had a BSM E92 335i with all the CF trim bits and although the contrast wasent completely obvious from far away, up close it was pretty cool how the sun would hit the CF and make you do a double take to see why it looked different then the rest of the car. It was much more subtle, but in a cool stealthy way.
      06-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Silverstone.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

And don't look at any pictures of BSM. I know everybody says it 'hides' the lines. It can be the opposite. It depends on the condition (cleanliness) of the car, and the lighting.

Black just looks amazing, but requires a lot of upkeep. IMO, it can look 'mean', upscale, refined, aggressive, understated, overstated. I have to stop now before I change my color to BSM.

Oh, one more thing. I think with the interior colors they're offering, more of them blend much better with BSM.
^^ Exactly why I was originally built as BSM, before switching to MG. Those photos just made me drool. My problem was I kept seeing M5/M6 in my area with BSM (plus my neighbor's 3-series)... it just....... I was never wowed in person. I saw one on my way home from work one day that just looked straight up ghetto. Truth was it looked like the guy just didn't take care of the car (was an M6, total shame), and I know there's potential for fantastic..... but I also knew my parking situation wouldn't be good for the upkeep required.

God I would love BSM, but I wouldn't be able to give the attention it deserves and requires. That's just me though. Good luck sir!
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
SSII doesn't have a blue hue in certain lights... it always does. There is a guy that has one around here, and I see it a lot. I've never seen it when it didn't look light bluish.

BSM looks great when clean. Even though you lose the contrast of the roof it still looks aggressive. But keeping it clean and swirl free is near impossible. The BSM M4 at the auto show was just one giant swirl... Looked great from afar, but I could never ignore the little scratches and swirls if it were my car.

You should have gone to the NY auto show... they had both a BSM M4 and a SSII M3.

Your color choices... good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
I'd never have another black car because they only look good when spotless. As others said, I like the contrast of the CFRP roof with lighter colors. SS is an M-specific color, and I think it shows the lines of the car well, though I'd prefer a warmer silver, like Titanium, or even Space Gray. I've ordered SO interior which I think will be a nice contrast. I'm sure you've seen the Silverstone thread in the Color forum.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
A different opinion here, but I never liked SSII with the CF roof. I liked it on the E93, and the M5, but the I realized those don't have the CF roof. To me, SSII is a very unique, but polished and mature and classy, color. To make it look 'mean' seems out of place. But I've seen some examples of it, and it still looks good.

So, if getting SSII, do a CF roof delete.

I agree with this guy. Are you in my head?

Black looks the best clean, but gets dirty fast. My bigger concern with SB is the contrast to the CF roof. Not sure it stands out as well as Id like it to.
      06-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

SSII is the least common color on our 1st wave order survey. It is also a color that is only available to M cars, unless you go individual, SO is another M color. SSII is going to be a rare color on F8x, at least initially.

Do get SSII with CF roof. Without CF roof, it doesn't look as good.
      06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
LwaLt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVOX,M4,X2, Model X, Model 3P+

SSII. On the contrary to what others say, that blue hue actually add a pretty nice kick to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
SSII is the least common color on our 1st wave order survey. It is also a color that is only available to M cars, unless you go individual, SO is another M color. SSII is going to be a rare color on F8x, at least initially.

Do get SSII with CF roof. Without CF roof, it doesn't look as good.
Interesting SS and SO come up as the least to favorites, thus by default will be rare. They happen to have been my 2 choices I had settled on, both M colors, both can't be further from one in other in terms of personality. I went with SO as my last thought was, "it's an M car stupid"!

The yellow and blue fit the bill stated above as well but are way too off the charts for my tastes, as a daily drive. Yeah I know, this coming from a guy that picked SO.

Last edited by shortseller; 06-12-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

This is a better view with all the color popularity from our 1st wave order survey.
Attached Images

06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwaLt View Post
SSII. On the contrary to what others say, that blue hue actually add a pretty nice kick to it.
Yes, that's actually what initially drew me to SSII was the blue hue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
Bonovox
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, it seems a lot of us are having similar challenges with color choice. I have BSM M4 on order with SO. Car looks great in BSM, but I'm concerned for a number of the reasons already given. No cf contrast, very common and hard to keep clean here in new England where, if the 5 month winter isn't bad enough, you then have to deal with pollen for May and June!

I'm actually thinking about switching (if I still can -- I'm status 112) to SO or SSII.

I had an SSII M5 with black interior -- I liked the color a lot. It was unique, very easy to keep looking good, didn't show scratches. It got lots of compliments. Sometimes it looked silver, sometimes with a hint of blue -- but never powder blue. if I get SSII though, I'd get So or SSII interior. I just didn't like the black interior much. Just too monochromatic and IMHO it shows dirt more than other colors.

I went to the BMW dealer in Boston today to look at an M5 with SO. They had a used SSII M3 with SO interior. It looked really good! I think it would look great with cf roof and the optional wheels. But I might opt for the SSII interior as well. Hey, even the young guys who work there as runners (think souped up Hondas) thought the SSII was great.

Saw the SO in person on the M5. Its a nice color. I could definitely live with it. I was hoping it would grab me like some of the SO pictures I've seen, but it didn't. I was indoor lighting; it didn't have the pop you get with the Cf roof, and IMHO the color looks better on coupes than sedans. But I guess what disappoints me is that the color just doesn't look that metallic. Also, for me, if I got SO, it'd probably be with black full. Looks great with the car, but not my favorite especially without sunroof for light.
      06-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
SSII is my least fave color by a mile really not feeling it. BSM if you ask me
      06-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Bonovox
Private First Class
Rep

oops. M4 went to status 150 today. I can't change the order even if I want. BSM with SO it is!! Now I can forget about it for 6 to 8 weeks.
      06-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #22
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonovox View Post
oops. M4 went to status 150 today. I can't change the order even if I want. BSM with SO it is!! Now I can forget about it for 6 to 8 weeks.
haha! congrats man
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0