BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

11-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #23
scostu
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

GQ Magazine Names Colin Kaepernick 'Citizen of the Year'

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/11/1...k-citizen-year

Retired:2013 Audi Q5 3.0T,
2013 Jeep WK2..Hemi, 2011 E90, 2008 E70, 2004 E46
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #24
gonzo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ uhhh.
I've stayed out of this whole ordeal but I have to say, his message went off course as soon as he wore those pig socks. Dumb move.
      11-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #25
gonzo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Former espn employee:

Britt McHenry ✔ @BrittMcHenry
Wear socks depicting police officers as pigs; wear Fidel Castro as a fashion statement IN MIAMI; sue NFL for collusion when gf compares owners to slave owners...
Win Citizen of the Year.
Serve in the US military...nothing. What a joke, GQ. #Kaepernick
9:11 AM - Nov 13, 2017

Britt McHenry ✔ @BrittMcHenry
JJ Watt raised $37 million for Hurricane Harvey victims. 37 MILLION! But Kaepernick refused to stand for our national anthem (a year ago) and is Citizen of the Year. Right...
9:20 AM - Nov 13, 2017

Ouch.
      11-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #26
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
This is just gets better and better the more I hear. What a loser.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #27
RickFLM4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Why does GQ Magazine even have a "Citizen of the Year" award? Isn't it about clothes and grooming?
      11-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #28
gonzo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Same reason nbc gave biden an interview slot during last night's game. Politics. It's a household name.

Like biden was just sitting alone having wings and beer. Oh, look, it's nbc!
Planned biden 2020 pitch. And they wonder about ratings. I don't want to see a Republican either.
      11-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
RickFLM4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

But have they always had a "Citizen of the Year" or is it something new to cater to a new political audience? Maybe I misunderstand what the magazine is all about but it sort of sounds like Cosmopolitan having a "Citizen of the Year." I get it when magazines like Time, People, Fortune, Sports Illustrated, etc. have an issue when they name a person or people of the year applicable to their magazine's focus. But GQ?
      11-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #30
UglyBuzzard
Baba Booey
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M Sport

He has to be one of the biggest idiots of man kind. He makes Lloyd and Harry geniuses.

Opted out of multi year contract, after calling attention to himself like that, is priceless. Can't script that any better.

GQ citizen of the year. This is the gift that keeps giving.

What a jackass he is!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
But have they always had a "Citizen of the Year" or is it something new to cater to a new political audience? Maybe I misunderstand what the magazine is all about but it sort of sounds like Cosmopolitan having a "Citizen of the Year." I get it when magazines like Time, People, Fortune, Sports Illustrated, etc. have an issue when they name a person or people of the year applicable to their magazine's focus. But GQ?
And he has lame-ass hair and dresses with no class...

Totally bogus award!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #32
OlBloo
Where to next........
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Hmm, if someone gives up a multimillion to speak out for a cause in a non violent manner, he absolutely deserves a level of respect whether you agree with him or not.

How many of you here would go as far to risk your career and name? I came remember reading news articles from the 60s spewing the same kind of garbage about MLK. History will be on his side

Dissent is patriotism
Appreciate 3
      11-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #33
Joekerr
Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBloo View Post
Hmm, if someone gives up a multimillion to speak out for a cause in a non violent manner, he absolutely deserves a level of respect whether you agree with him or not.

How many of you here would go as far to risk your career and name? I came remember reading news articles from the 60s spewing the same kind of garbage about MLK. History will be on his side

Dissent is patriotism
Well....no. Just no.

He didn't give it up. He was an idiot to structure his affairs that way, and now he's (suing I believe) to have someone take him on so that he can make money again. So if he's trying to get it back, then he didn't give it up.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #34
scostu
Major
United_States
Rep

Beyonce surprised and thanked Colin Kaepernick before presenting him with the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...anthem-protest

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #35
CTinline-six
Winning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Jeep XJ, 2006 BMW 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Beyonce surprised and thanked Colin Kaepernick before presenting him with the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...anthem-protest
Because people take what Beyonce has to say seriously...
      12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #36
kprocivic
Major
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Because people take what Beyonce has to say seriously...
unfortunately I expect that from an entertainer, but from the president of the united states lol.
      12-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #37
scostu
Major
United_States
Rep

Colin Kaepernick tweets that he wants to join Diddy in buying the Carolina Panthers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...in-kaepernick/

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #38
CTinline-six
Winning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Jeep XJ, 2006 BMW 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post

Colin Kaepernick tweets that he wants to join Diddy in buying the Carolina Panthers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...in-kaepernick/
Maybe so as the owner he can make the whole team kneel.
      12-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #39
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Colin Kaepernick is an idiot for kneeling without having a clear and achievable objective what he wanted from it. Kneeling to protest "racial injustice" isn't good enough. Reminds me of Black Lives Matter, or the feminism movement, or even the Pussy March in DC shortly after Trump was inaugurated. All are free to do and say as they please, so long as their actions fit within the framework of the Constitution, but all entirely unrealistic, unclear, and some irrational in their objectives and goals.

Those criticizing Colin Kaepernick for exercising one of his most fundamental rights as a United States citizen are even larger idiots. You don't like it another man is choosing to exercise his Freedom of Speech and Expression? Well how about you mind your own fucking business and let him do as he pleases, so long as he does not infringe upon others' rights and liberties? People have a tendency to get in others' business too much these days. From LGBT rights, to kneeling during the Anthem, to employers stopping insurance coverage for contraception due to moral objectives. Let others live their lives, so long as what they do is protected by US law, without you getting your feelings hurt about everything.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #40
FlaPatsFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

So let me put this in simple form....Kaepernick was an EMPLOYEE of a company. That company just happens to be a NFL team. He did something while on company time that the owner of the company did not approve of. As an EMPLOYEE your EPLOYER can choose to handle that incident how ever they choose. In this case they chose to not retain his services. Allowing him to opt out. Kaepernick should of known there may be repercussions for his actions. If he felt that strongly about “Social Injustice” then go on your Social media platform to make your voice heard. But apparently that wasn’t enough and he had to push the issue and do it on COMPANY time. I work in a profession where we honor the flag, if i were to take a knee during that moment i would be reprimanded if not fired. Why should it be any different for him. Oh wait....because he is a over paid spoiled brat professional athlete. Now that’s Social Injustice!
Appreciate 3
      12-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Colin Kaepernick is an idiot for kneeling without having a clear and achievable objective what he wanted from it. Kneeling to protest "racial injustice" isn't good enough. Reminds me of Black Lives Matter, or the feminism movement, or even the Pussy March in DC shortly after Trump was inaugurated. All are free to do and say as they please, so long as their actions fit within the framework of the Constitution, but all entirely unrealistic, unclear, and some irrational in their objectives and goals.

Those criticizing Colin Kaepernick for exercising one of his most fundamental rights as a United States citizen are even larger idiots. You don't like it another man is choosing to exercise his Freedom of Speech and Expression? Well how about you mind your own fucking business and let him do as he pleases, so long as he does not infringe upon others' rights and liberties? People have a tendency to get in others' business too much these days. From LGBT rights, to kneeling during the Anthem, to employers stopping insurance coverage for contraception due to moral objectives. Let others live their lives, so long as what they do is protected by US law, without you getting your feelings hurt about everything.
Tell that to Papa John...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #42
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
So let me put this in simple form....Kaepernick was an EMPLOYEE of a company. That company just happens to be a NFL team. He did something while on company time that the owner of the company did not approve of. As an EMPLOYEE your EPLOYER can choose to handle that incident how ever they choose. In this case they chose to not retain his services. Allowing him to opt out. Kaepernick should of known there may be repercussions for his actions. If he felt that strongly about “Social Injustice” then go on your Social media platform to make your voice heard. But apparently that wasn’t enough and he had to push the issue and do it on COMPANY time. I work in a profession where we honor the flag, if i were to take a knee during that moment i would be reprimanded if not fired. Why should it be any different for him. Oh wait....because he is a over paid spoiled brat professional athlete. Now that’s Social Injustice!
I'm assuming you're military. For starters, the military justice system differs fundamentally than the civilian justice system. Most branches have NJP (non-judicial punishment), i.e., conduct on-duty or off-duty which can be punished. This doesn't exist in the civilian world. Kneeling during Colors, for example, might get a military personnel NJP for the first offense. If Kaepernick were punished for kneeling during the Anthem (e.g., suspended for one game, causing loss of pay; sufficient to meet injury requirement to file suit), a court of law would smack the shit out of the 49ers. So your theory, that if you can get punished, why shouldn't he, is fundamentally incorrect.

Second, your claim that he should've limited his actions to social media platforms, clearly demonstrates your ignorance. If he limited his voice to social media, he'd be like any other voice on social media nowadays: unheard and otherwise ignored. Kaepernick did something others didn't do to bring attention to a cause. It's received plenty of attention, needless to say. I still maintain he didn't, and still doesn't, have clear and achievable objectives from his actions, but that's beside the point here. The point is, someone has to do something that's against the social norm to cause change in the world. Gandhi fasted unto death to lead India's independence movement. MLKJ organized protests and used other nonviolent resistance to combat racial inequality. Now, I'm not putting Kaepernick among the likes of Gandhi and MLKJ, because as I've said, his objectives are unclear and he's contradicted himself numerous times, however, the point is, it's extremely stupid and otherwise un-American to say, "just do what everyone else does when you have something to say, even if nobody is listening."
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #43
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:

Tell that to Papa John...
Relevance of a CEO stepping down after claiming sales loss, to an NFL player exercising his fundamental American right?
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #44
FlaPatsFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
I'm assuming you're military. For starters, the military justice system differs fundamentally than the civilian justice system. Most branches have NJP (non-judicial punishment), i.e., conduct on-duty or off-duty which can be punished. This doesn't exist in the civilian world. Kneeling during Colors, for example, might get a military personnel NJP for the first offense. If Kaepernick were punished for kneeling during the Anthem (e.g., suspended for one game, causing loss of pay; sufficient to meet injury requirement to file suit), a court of law would smack the shit out of the 49ers. So your theory, that if you can get punished, why shouldn't he, is fundamentally incorrect.

Second, your claim that he should've limited his actions to social media platforms, clearly demonstrates your ignorance. If he limited his voice to social media, he'd be like any other voice on social media nowadays: unheard and otherwise ignored. Kaepernick did something others didn't do to bring attention to a cause. It's received plenty of attention, needless to say. I still maintain he didn't, and still doesn't, have clear and achievable objectives from his actions, but that's beside the point here. The point is, someone has to do something that's against the social norm to cause change in the world. Gandhi fasted unto death to lead India's independence movement. MLKJ organized protests and used other nonviolent resistance to combat racial inequality. Now, I'm not putting Kaepernick among the likes of Gandhi and MLKJ, because as I've said, his objectives are unclear and he's contradicted himself numerous times, however, the point is, it's extremely stupid and otherwise un-American to say, "just do what everyone else does when you have something to say, even if nobody is listening."

Nope not military, and you should know it’s not just military who honors our flag. So I will say again....doing things on company time can have consequences. And it did for him....to bad so sad. And let’s not compare him to Ghandi....please. You want to put him next to Mother Theresa also?!?!? Like someone else said in this thread....IDIOT period.
Appreciate 0