Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

M Performance Suspension for M4 Competition Pack

Hi all.

I'm after some advice on the M Performance Suspension Kit for the M4 Competition Pack. I can see why some have lowered their cars but I wanted to keep the suspension stock for warranty reasons and also I didn't want to car to rattle itself into pieces. I would like to lower it slightly though providing it doesn't impact on the ride quality or impact the warranty.

What are the views out there on the M Performance offering in terms of ride quality as I understand the car retains the warranty when this is fitted. Might also be a stupid question, but how do you adjust the ride height?

Does anyone have any images of a Competition Pack car with this setup and also the actual items that come in the kit showing how you adjust the ride height?

Any views would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I've just had the spring kit fitted to my M3 CP and went down the BMW M Performance route for much the same reason you mention; my dealer is a nightmare with mods and always try to charge for anything.

Post install I can say the low speed ride is very slightly harder due to the stiffer springs but only just noticeable. The drop is moderate and maintains the OEM look.

Steering is sharper, handling that tighter. Early days but I'm happy!

Height adjustment is just like normal coil overs, you're given a tool to wind the spring collar up or down. Realistically I don't think I'll ever touch them.
Attached Images

11-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Fisher View Post
Hi all.

I'm after some advice on the M Performance Suspension Kit for the M4 Competition Pack. I can see why some have lowered their cars but I wanted to keep the suspension stock for warranty reasons and also I didn't want to car to rattle itself into pieces. I would like to lower it slightly though providing it doesn't impact on the ride quality or impact the warranty.

What are the views out there on the M Performance offering in terms of ride quality as I understand the car retains the warranty when this is fitted. Might also be a stupid question, but how do you adjust the ride height?

Does anyone have any images of a Competition Pack car with this setup and also the actual items that come in the kit showing how you adjust the ride height?

That's great, thank you.

How much was it fitted and what ride height do you have it set to in this picture? I think the M3 looks lower than the M4 too.

Does the term coil over just mean the springs? Probably a very stupid question!
Appreciate 1
Jaymax85711.00
      11-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all.

That's great, thank you.

How much was it fitted and what ride height do you have it set to in this picture? I think the M3 looks lower than the M4 too.

Does the term coil over just mean the springs? Probably a very stupid question!
Also, do you retain the EDC too?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, EDC retained - another reason to go with a Spring only setup.

Each corner has a spring and damper. The damper does the EDC part by changing the resistance. The spring determines the force pushing against the road essentially.

The MP kit consists of stiffer, shorter springs with a collar which has a thread to wind up/down (the adjustment). The kit also has 'helper springs' which boost the rebound energy to give the dampers a bit of help.

This picture shows the kit - the blue ring is the adjuster but is just a ring that screws up and down the black collar.

'Coilovers' are one piece springs/dampers that replace the whole BMW standard setup. They are a better option but will not be covered by BMW warranty and you'll lose the EDC function (as the damper is changed).

For costs, best to get in touch with Cotswold BMW in Cheltenham who do great prices on the parts. My local dealer got down to £1,680 from an initial offer of just under £2k! Cotswold (or your local dealer) may be able to beat that.

Contact Cotswold:

Direct Telephone Number: 01242335365
Fax Number: 01242257150
E-mail: partscheltenham@cotswoldgroup.com
Attached Images

11-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
Yes, EDC retained - another reason to go with a Spring only setup.

Each corner has a spring and damper. The damper does the EDC part by changing the resistance. The spring determines the force pushing against the road essentially.

The MP kit consists of stiffer, shorter springs with a collar which has a thread to wind up/down (the adjustment). The kit also has 'helper springs' which boost the rebound energy to give the dampers a bit of help.

This picture shows the kit - the blue ring is the adjuster but is just a ring that screws up and down the black collar.

'Coilovers' are one piece springs/dampers that replace the whole BMW standard setup. They are a better option but will not be covered by BMW warranty and you'll lose the EDC function (as the damper is changed).

For costs, best to get in touch with Cotswold BMW in Cheltenham who do great prices on the parts. My local dealer got down to £1,680 from an initial offer of just under £2k! Cotswold (or your local dealer) may be able to beat that.

Contact Cotswold:

Direct Telephone Number: 01242335365
Fax Number: 01242257150
E-mail: partscheltenham@cotswoldgroup.com
Thank you so much for this. I know them at Cotswold very well, despite being 140 miles from me, so I shall get in touch with them. They have done all the work on my car as my local dealers didn't appear to be very good.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I've had these fitted and they do tie the car down quite nicely.

The car is more direct and planted but slightly harsher than before, you also have to watch the front end coming off those table top speed bumps.

In terms of the height adjustment it's not something that you'll be changing often (if at all) as the car will need corner weighting again and a KDS alignment if you change the height.

My M tech had the car for 2 days to fit them, but he did an excellent job the installation is great as is the handling, the cost was £1700 all in IIRC.

I've done 8000 miles on them and I'm pretty happy.
      11-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I've had these fitted and they do tie the car down quite nicely.

The car is more direct and planted but slightly harsher than before, you also have to watch the front end coming off those table top speed bumps.

In terms of the height adjustment it's not something that you'll be changing often (if at all) as the car will need corner weighting again and a KDS alignment if you change the height.

My M tech had the car for 2 days to fit them, but he did an excellent job the installation is great as is the handling, the cost was £1700 all in IIRC.

I've done 8000 miles on them and I'm pretty happy.
Thanks for this.

Do you have the M Splitter at the front too? This is what concerns me, the harsh ride and grounding out!!

What height do you have yours set at and do you have any photos to demonstrate it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this.

Do you have the M Splitter at the front too? This is what concerns me, the harsh ride and grounding out!!

What height do you have yours set at and do you have any photos to demonstrate it?
No as I wouldn't be confident of the front lip not being damaged so I've just put the carbon corners on.

Not sure of the height as I left it to the M tech to decide he adjusted and fiddled about for a while.

They settle down a bit over time as well, I'll take a picture and post up tomorrow.
      11-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for this.

No as I wouldn't be confident of the front lip not being damaged so I've just put the carbon corners on.

Not sure of the height as I left it to the M tech to decide he adjusted and fiddled about for a while.

They settle down a bit over time as well, I'll take a picture and post up tomorrow.
Wills makes a good point about the splitter. Does anyone have any pictures of the splitter with the m performance suspension? I reckon that must be very low depending on where your suspension has been set to. Some views and information would be great.....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

As I assume most have, I just went with the BMW recommended lowering - on he basis I'm after handling primarily. I would say the front has dropped maybe 20mm and the rear 10mm.

I wouldn't consider a splitter now.

Mike had BMW recommended drop and has a splitter - see pic. He kindly took me for a drive and has to take all humps at an angle.
Attached Images

11-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As I assume most have, I just went with the BMW recommended lowering - on he basis I'm after handling primarily. I would say the front has dropped maybe 20mm and the rear 10mm.

Mike had BMW recommended drop and has a splitter - see pic. He kindly took me for a drive and has to take all humps at an angle.
Thanks - it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks low and if he has to take all bumps at an angle that says it all!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #13
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Hi 55Fisher....here is my M4 on a KW HAS KIT, similar set up to the MP HAS, i have mine full down on the rear and about 10mm left on the front, hope this gives you an idea of look and height
Attached Images

11-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Hi 55Fisher....here is my M4 on a KW HAS KIT, similar set up to the MP HAS, i have mine full down on the rear and about 10mm left on the front, hope this gives you an idea of look and height
Thank you.

Looks great.

What wheels, tyres and spacers are you running? Do you find the splitter is too low for speed bumps etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Stock height Vs. MP HAS height.
Attached Images

Elta10.50
zen0s37.50
      11-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Stock height Vs. MP HAS height.
Thanks. I can see why you were nervous about the splitter! Quite a difference...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I can see why you were nervous about the splitter! Quite a difference...
Yes the main issue is the front gap that the splitter in fills, I feel like I'm clearing everything head on without it but wouldn't with it on, it's a pity as I'd like it.

Perhaps the larger CP wheels on yours help?
      11-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes the main issue is the front gap that the splitter in fills, I feel like I'm clearing everything head on without it but wouldn't with it on, it's a pity as I'd like it.

Perhaps the larger CP wheels on yours help?
Quite possibly but I'm not sure they are that much larger to offer much more clearance. Perhaps someone out there can offer a view or provide some pictures?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Hard to tell from this example but it looks pretty low to me!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Quite possibly but I'm not sure they are that much larger to offer much more clearance. Perhaps someone out there can offer a view or provide some pictures?
6mm diameter difference between the 20" CP set up and 19"
      11-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #21
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
6mm diameter difference between the 20" CP set up and 19"
I really want to change my 666's to 763m's with the sport cup tyres which I think are 265/35/19 on the front, perhaps those shall make it even lower with the m performance suspension. Decisions, decisions....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
mechanic75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:

Wow nice car! Perhaps I’m slightly biased!

Yeah the splitter is a pain on ramps but I wouldn’t have the car without it. I much prefer the front of these with them.
Appreciate 0