ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Lance, you're a brave soul (or a troll for posting all financial specifics on the internet.

Agreed with the others, its your money. That said, at that take home pay level, I was driving a WRX that I got used

For what it is worth, if my F80 were totaled tomorrow I would replace it with a heavily modded E36 or E46 M3. Whole lot less cost, should be similar levels of fun
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #24
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceoa View Post
Based on this forum, the larger void would be the realization that while I might be able to make payments on an F80, I wouldn't have much additional $$ for mods that follows sucheck a purchase.
People don't by an ///M because they have a void in their life. People buy an ///M because they're really cool.

Also, I think most people are questioning whether or not you can afford the actual car itself. The mods are an entirely different conversation.

Dude, you're not exactly sounding like father of the year here...How can you have a void in your life with 2 lovely daughters? Why don't you instead consider saving for their college educations?

That was my #1 priority when my kids were very young. Now that they're in college, I'm driving around in an M3, and money isn't an issue for me.
      09-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
Lanceoa
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDE92M3 View Post
Why don't you looking into a nice used E92/E90 M3. It will give you a lot of thrills at a fraction of the cost. Or you can get a F80/82 used, but that market hasn't really plunged in price yet. Also, you would need to factor new vs used finance rates. I would hate to tell someone that we only live once, so live foolish. But I also know you have to try and experience, and do as many things as you love. Because your happiness is paramount!

JD
Wife is a perfectionist - she'd hate it even if she found no blemishes or defects. I think i would only go used if it was some unicorn special edition.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #26
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
People don't by an ///M because they have a void in their life. People buy an ///M because they're really cool.

Also, I think most people are questioning whether or not you can afford the actual car itself. The mods are an entirely different conversation.

Dude, you're not exactly sounding like father of the year here...How can you have a void in your life with 2 lovely daughters? Why don't you instead consider saving for their college educations?

That was my #1 priority when my kids were very young. Now that they're in college, I'm driving around in an M3, and money isn't an issue for me.
Have $5k saved up for them, not bad for 10 months.
Vehicle void - not an existential one!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #27
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Lance, you're a brave soul (or a troll for posting all financial specifics on the internet.

Agreed with the others, its your money. That said, at that take home pay level, I was driving a WRX that I got used

For what it is worth, if my F80 were totaled tomorrow I would replace it with a heavily modded E36 or E46 M3. Whole lot less cost, should be similar levels of fun
Well there is still some anonymity here... kind of. Take home is beat down by my retirement goals, maxing out the 401k. Thanks for the input sir!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #28
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Wife/GF/SO think your hair looks better in the M? Do your co-workers hate on you or dig it when you offer to drive to lunch?
Do co-workers joke with the "Must Be Nice" (Don't you Have Bills?) catch all phrase?
Did the M help you get a new promotion at work?
Do you garner more respect at the dealership when getting service?
Does front row parking conveniently appear as if the lot knows an M is gracing it's blacktop?
One of the best parts of turning 40 is no longer giving a shit what other people think. Embrace it my friend
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #29
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
IVF best 13k i ever spent.
Amazing investment right? These girls are my life now... sold the motorcyle can't be risky like that!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #30
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
Please dont do it. You will hate yourself later and will end up losing more $ if you will sell the F8x later.

The n54 is the most amazing engine and you r bored? If you dont track often, please dont buy a M car. I know there are folks will disagree but thats my experience.

If you still want to buy M car, my manual f82 garage queen is available ;-)
Engine is great, like I said, love leaving work with some escape velocity. That being said, I could use more umph!
I am bored with the 2011 looks, lack of bulges and bumps, M front fascia.
Plus my interior is black leather no navi, non HK sound, would opt for something more rich like the brown tones and get HK!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #31
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceoa
Quote:
IVF best 13k i ever spent.
Amazing investment right? These girls are my life now... sold the motorcyle can't be risky like that!
i sold my motorcycle too. i wasnt as lucky as you in getting a "free" kid, we only got one but we do have 3 on ice.

congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #32
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
One of the best parts of turning 40 is no longer giving a shit what other people think. Embrace it my friend
Yes, the q's were mostly rhetorics.. i park like the nerdy kid in the cafeteria, inevitably some arse will be parked right next to me! My hair always looks like shit. Those not in my work group will gossip like school children. And it will most certainly not get me a promotion, but will make my hours slightly more tolerable as i get to escape in the F80 of my choosing!

Last edited by Lanceoa; 09-05-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #33
vvnguyen1981
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Coming from a used 1997 M3 back in college, I waited almost 10 years to finally finance my new 2016 M4. I decided to put nothing down since my interest rate was great.

On the topic of affording it or not ... That's more of a personal one. Everyone has different financial goals. I personally focus on growing my small business, I continue to pick up at least 1 rental unit per year with 20% down and finally continue operating my trading account for additional income.

I can say it's a great feeling every time I drive my M4. I put on about 500+ miles a month. I was 34 when I got the M4 and am 35 today and wouldn't change anything with my purchase.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #34
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
i sold my motorcycle too. i wasnt as lucky as you in getting a "free" kid, we only got one but we do have 3 on ice.

congrats!!
We def lucked out with BOGO deal. Hope your future little ones come though when your ready. It was 6 yrs of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #35
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
agreed! I've been practicing for the last 20-ish years. I turn 40 in December
      09-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #36
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Quote:
Please dont do it. You will hate yourself later and will end up losing more $ if you will sell the F8x later.

The n54 is the most amazing engine and you r bored? If you dont track often, please dont buy a M car. I know there are folks will disagree but thats my experience.

If you still want to buy M car, my manual f82 garage queen is available ;-)
Engine is great, like I said, love leaving work with some escape velocity. That being said, I could use more umph!
I am bored with the 2011 looks, lack of bulges and bumps, M front fascia.
Plus my interior is black leather no navi, non HK sound, would opt for something more rich like the brown tones and get HK!
I was exactly same boat w you. Meaning i have an e90 w no nav no hk but i enjoy daily my n54 FBO than the f8x. I bought the M simply the fact that it will wow me but it doesnt tbh. Where it really shines is at the track and the feeling "hey that guy drives an M car"

If you just do spirit drives and daily it, a stock M car wont be any faster than n54 FBO inlet/outlet and e85.

The reason for your case that I would see unwise is where your financial status is. But it is your $....just wanted to share my xp and hopefully could gear you to better decision.

p.s. i have heared BAV speakers are better than HK. I will have them installed in the e90 one day.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #37
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
You can't justify it and no one on the board can help you. No one needs an M3. All we "need" is reliable transportation, and by the time you have gone up to 340i or equivalent you've already added a lot of icing to your cake.

Oh, but you want an M3 and can fit the purchase in with your other priorities and goals? Good, go for it!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)

Last edited by KevinM; 09-05-2016 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 2
Vooj41.50
      09-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #38
Vooj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M4 ZCP

I have had an M car since I was 26 and love them, but never at the expense of anything else. If you are maxing out a tax deferred investments and a roth, you are doing fine for retirement. I wouldn't dump a rental property for and get a car, but living in the Sacramento Valley, I understand the appeal. I can't wait to sell my home before the next bust.

I love having an M car, not because of attention, but because I love driving it. I wanted an M3 since high school and got my "dream car," my E46, 4 years after college. I didn't get it to fill a void or anything (had 2 kids too), or for status. Some folks don't get that. The car has never let me down but I felt 8 years was enough and want to move on as I am a technology geek to boot. Hopefully I keep the M4 just as long, or longer, but we will probably get a Caterham 7 several years down the road for the pure driving love.

Big picture, I love Ms and always will but not at the expense of anything else (college savings, retirement, vacations, real estate, random fun, etc). At the end of the day the car needs to add to my enjoyment of life without adding extra grey hairs from money. You can literally buy a home, maybe 2, where I grew up for the cost of this car...typing that makes me regret it until I hit the go fast pedal on a windy road.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #39
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
p.s. i have heared BAV speakers are better than HK. I will have them installed in the e90 one day.
Much of the allure of the F8X cars are not just the 400+hp, but also the muscular body lines, fresh interior!
Thanks for the feedback on the speakers. First I've heard of them since I just started snooping around, I will check them out!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #40
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

I smell a troll.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #41
Lanceoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vooj View Post
I have had an M car since I was 26 and love them, but never at the expense of anything else. If you are maxing out a tax deferred investments and a roth, you are doing fine for retirement. I wouldn't dump a rental property for and get a car, but living in the Sacramento Valley, I understand the appeal. I can't wait to sell my home before the next bust.

I love having an M car, not because of attention, but because I love driving it. I wanted an M3 since high school and got my "dream car," my E46, 4 years after college. I didn't get it to fill a void or anything (had 2 kids too), or for status. Some folks don't get that. The car has never let me down but I felt 8 years was enough and want to move on as I am a technology geek to boot. Hopefully I keep the M4 just as long, or longer, but we will probably get a Caterham 7 several years down the road for the pure driving love.

Big picture, I love Ms and always will but not at the expense of anything else (college savings, retirement, vacations, real estate, random fun, etc). At the end of the day the car needs to add to my enjoyment of life without adding extra grey hairs from money. You can literally buy a home, maybe 2, where I grew up for the cost of this car...typing that makes me regret it until I hit the go fast pedal on a windy road.
Rental home money would definitely not fund F80, Sacto Valley is going to have a stiff correction in 2 or 3 yrs.
My void was mostly created last yr due to purchase of 16 MDX... would've been more satisfied with an X5 and regret that on a weekly basis.
I too have those same priorities big time! Started late or re-started late due to the 2008 recession. Catching up and soon to be back on track... time to start envisioning my F80 story! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #42
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
You are probably the best Dave Ramsey saver or in a different class altogether.
Not familiar with him, but I did google him and will check him out.

I've spent heaps of money before I had really had any on "stuff" and realized I wasn't enjoying it. If I were you I'd buy a car with a 200-250 payment at the very most and not live paycheck to paycheck. The car is great, but not worth the stress.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #43
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Turning 40 in another year or so.... was thinking of treating myself.
Currently in a E90 2011 335i sedan AW, 62k miles - bone stock & bored with her.
Wife has '13 Mini Cooper S and ' MDX Advance (twin 11 month old girls).
Will try and sell 335i to carmax, throwing in more cash and financing maybe half of a 2017/18 F80 M3 possibly in MW, interior undecided.

My take home is about $4.2k/month, 15 yr mortgage $2.6k/mo - no other debt. I stock away quite a bit pre-tax for retirement. Is $35 - $40k a comfortable amount to finance. I feel like I will barely be able to afford an M. I believe from all that I am hearing here about the F80 that it will fulfill the void in my life and I would likely want to keep her longer than 5 yrs.

Love leaving work WOT, nothing finer - especially when I have a crappy day at the office. Stunning looks, BMW driving dynamics. Never driven an M, but I think I'm missing out and need to be part of the clan!
Your take home of 4.2 is that just you or both you and your wife. If that is for both of you then I would say hands down don't get the M. Not only that but how are you making it for everything else? Like paying for the other cars?

If that is only your income then it depends on what your wife's is. But you mentioned that you feel like you will barely able to afford the car so I think deep down you already know the answer.

As others have said I do not think the car will fill any kind of void in life, especially if it puts u in a tight financial situation. If anything it might even create issues in the family.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #44
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vooj View Post

really? you must have grown up in a real shithole if $65,000 buys "A house or two, lol"
Appreciate 0