proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Help with Track Day Brake Pad Decision

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Have been reviewing posts on the forum and there seems to be a lot of varied opinions re best track day Brake pads for the F80 - so wanted to get opinions before I purchase for my '18 ZCP DCT M3. Want to be able to replace pads for occasional track events and then switch back to stock pads. Also, seems a brake fluid change for track makes sense. Seems like following are most referenced pads:
- Pagid RS29 or RSL1
- Ferodo DS1.11
- PFC 08 or 11

RE fluid as I will likely be doing myself is just go Castrol SRF and be done.

Re pads - something that plays nicely with stock/street replacements. Bang for buck but ultimately will hold up at the track without fading and wont kill the rotors. Also would appreciate where to purchase as well - any forum discts. etc. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

I have experience with RS29 (btw they are called RSL29 now).
Have used up 4 front sets and 1 rear set by now (i run square tires, so i guess brake bias has gone to the front a little bit).
I was very happy with the performance, especially when putting in fresh pads. They interchange well with OEM, however they are so quiet that I left them on for the whole track season.
They also seem quite easy on the rotors.
The biggest downside for me is the pad life. Initially I managed to get around 4-5 trackdays out of the front set. Then I have upgraded turbos, so now with the increase in power the brakes work much harder on the track. I now struggle to get 3 full trackdays out of the front set. So for me this becomes quite expensive.
I will now probably give Ferodo a try (here in Germany they cost 30% less than Pagids), hoping they last longer.
I am also thinking of installing some brake cooling solution. Sadly the platform has been out for 4 years now and there is still nothing solid on the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
I have experience with RS29 (btw they are called RSL29 now).
Have used up 4 front sets and 1 rear set by now (i run square tires, so i guess brake bias has gone to the front a little bit).
I was very happy with the performance, especially when putting in fresh pads. They interchange well with OEM, however they are so quiet that I left them on for the whole track season.
They also seem quite easy on the rotors.
The biggest downside for me is the pad life. Initially I managed to get around 4-5 trackdays out of the front set. Then I have upgraded turbos, so now with the increase in power the brakes work much harder on the track. I now struggle to get 3 full trackdays out of the front set. So for me this becomes quite expensive.
I will now probably give Ferodo a try (here in Germany they cost 30% less than Pagids), hoping they last longer.
I am also thinking of installing some brake cooling solution. Sadly the platform has been out for 4 years now and there is still nothing solid on the market.
I tried the Ferodo Unos but no luck with the wear rate with upgraded turbos. I will try PFC now, the reviews suggests that their wear rate is the best, I guess we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

If you're going back and forth between track pads and street pads on the same rotor I've recommended Cobalt Friction. No special bedding procedure and there's several compounds to choose from to suit your preferences and tires. Low disc wear. They will squeal a bit if you use them on the street for a prolonged amount of time.

I've personally used Cobalt friction, Pagid RSL1, and Hawk DTC70's on F8X. I'd put Cobalt first choice for me, then the hawk DTC, then the pagids.
Appreciate 0