Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #67
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Self parking your car does not guarantee that you will not return to a damaged car. I have never had an issue vallet parking but have had several cars damaged in parking lots. I park far away where it is unlikely that someone will park next t9 me and still have had car damaged`

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-19-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #68
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

A local tire shop asked how to put the DCT in park.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #69
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

No
      05-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #70
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I recently stayed at a hotel for 40 nights and valeted my car 2-3 times a day each day.

Zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #71
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

I had dinner last week at a small restaurant in the north end of Boston that had valet. I pulled up and tipped the guy $20 when I handed him the key. He moved the valet sign and parked me at the curb in front. Was able to watch the car the whole time.

Then again, the week before at my office I valeted. When I left that day I noticed the things i left in my passenger seat were moved to the rear. Then I had a random coworker approach me the next day and told me not to let them valet my car. Apparently he was in a meeting in a room overlooking the parking lot and saw my car being driven around and around the lot. Then watched them park, swap drivers and continue. I had another employee mention he saw similar things in the past.

No damage but seems like the whole valet thing is a mixed bag.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #72
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
I had dinner last week at a small restaurant in the north end of Boston that had valet. I pulled up and tipped the guy $20 when I handed him the key. He moved the valet sign and parked me at the curb in front. Was able to watch the car the whole time.

Then again, the week before at my office I valeted. When I left that day I noticed the things i left in my passenger seat were moved to the rear. Then I had a random coworker approach me the next day and told me not to let them valet my car. Apparently he was in a meeting in a room overlooking the parking lot and saw my car being driven around and around the lot. Then watched them park, swap drivers and continue. I had another employee mention he saw similar things in the past.

It's hard to ask for compensation because how do you assign value to some asshat joyriding your car? If they didn't crash it, you come across as douchebag because nothing was "damaged."

If they do mess up your car, you have to prove the damage was already there... and they will leave that to you. In short, avoid the headache and situation entirely and self-park or uber. It's just getting harder and harder to own nice things.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #73
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAudi View Post
Quote:

It's hard to ask for compensation because how do you assign value to some asshat joyriding your car? If they didn't crash it, you come across as douchebag because nothing was "damaged."

If they do mess up your car, you have to prove the damage was already there... and they will leave that to you. In short, avoid the headache and situation entirely and self-park or uber. It's just getting harder and harder to own nice things.
Dash cam
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #74
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

Why dont u keep track of miles ? I note the mileage down when i drop car off at dealership and dont valet at all.
      05-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #75
tropicalypso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Occasionally

I valet... because they end up parking the car in front of the restaurants that my wife and I frequent.

Beats parking it among strangers who may or may not care about dinging your door.
      05-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #76
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalypso View Post
I valet... because they end up parking the car in front of the restaurants that my wife and I frequent.

Beats parking it among strangers who may or may not care about dinging your door.

My sentiments exactly!

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #77
REDEV217342
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (sold)

Never. I wouldn't let those prepubescent clowns valet my rental car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #78
WoodKnuckle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2cs Alpine White

Nuff Said!

PS: I posted this before!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #79
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
@
Attached Images

2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #80
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAudi View Post
Any personal horror stories with your BMW? Curious to know what you guys have experienced. I see articles that pop up on the news or Jalopnik every now and then and it makes me nervous...
I never valet my cars
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #81
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I was a valet in my younger years. I treated the cars with respect, but others not so much. One guy even wrecked a Porsche trying to "drift" in the parking garage. Idiot. I don't valet if I can help it. So far there were only 2 times it couldn't be helped and I was forced to valet. Just do an inspection, if they damage it, they will pay for it so what's it to me?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:06 AM   #82
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I love the US, if that question was asked in the UK it would mean do you clean your car, it's rare to have valet parking in the UK unless you're staying at a top London hotel.
      05-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #83
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I love the US, if that question was asked in the UK it would mean do you clean your car, it's rare to have valet parking in the UK unless you're staying at a top London hotel.
All of us car guys here hate it. I guess its seen as a "classy" service offered by nice restaurants and hotels here but its more of a nuisance in my mind. Im perfectly happy to park my own car and be on my way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #84
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Self parking does not mean your car will not get damaged.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #85
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Self parking does not mean your car will not get damaged.

So a 92 Geriatric (that shouldn't even have a license) goes on a tear and that makes self parking unsafe?

Come on man that's a feeble argument no?

Strategic parking (corner spots where idiots can't back into you) are WAY safer then Valet. Period

I did a quick google search of Valet Parking Fails. There is a plethora of vids.

I get the whole Manhattan thing you got going on but Valet Parking sucks unless you grease the shit out of the attendant and even that isn't a guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #86
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
All of us car guys here hate it. I guess its seen as a "classy" service offered by nice restaurants and hotels here but its more of a nuisance in my mind. Im perfectly happy to park my own car and be on my way.
What makes a car guy? I think I'm a car guy. I'm not insulted, but there are people who like cars who will valet, automatic wash it, let the dealer wash it, etc. Like things, love your family. I like my M4, but it's just a car. To each their own. I think it's valid that some of you won't/don't valet your cars. To think people who do aren't car guys. Seems a bit judgmental.
Appreciate 1
THEROK1267.50
      05-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #87
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
What makes a car guy? I think I'm a car guy. I'm not insulted, but there are people who like cars who will valet, automatic wash it, let the dealer wash it, etc. Like things, love your family. I like my M4, but it's just a car. To each their own. I think it's valid that some of you won't/don't valet your cars. To think people who do aren't car guys. Seems a bit judgmental.
Sheesh it was just an innocent post in response to our friend across the pond.

I valet my car when I have to, but I certainly prefer not to. I didnt say you cant be a car guy and valet your car, I just said we dont like it (which most dont)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #88
tropicalypso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Occasionally

Funny story about a recent valet experience...

I was about to go into the restaurant, but I first wanted to hear my M3 start up and watch it drive off.

After a minute of waiting, I realized that something wasn't right...

So I walked back down to the valet, and the guy was sitting in the driver's seat with his hands in the air, utterly clueless as to how to drive it (its a DCT).

I asked him "you know what you're doing?" and he looked down at the ground, and said "no", lol.

Luckily, an older valet came rushing in and said "I've driven these before".

The ended up parking it 20 feet away in front of the restaurant. By itself. Under a spotlight.