BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

From: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8#post15341768

Xenon:

LED:
      07-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #24
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Terrific comparison of the visual difference. And correct me if I am wrong, but are the side markers upgraded to LED as well, where as the xenon are standard bulbs?
But overall, for $2,000, I think unless you are really walking a fine line, they will certainly provide value in the long run, depending on how long you plan to keep the car. In addition

Here is a great video about them-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #25
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

It's another subjective topic.

I think the only thing that merits the LED's is if you live in an area, mentioned above, where it's rural, there are no street lights and the extra lighting helps to see things to prevent an accident.

But being honest, I passed on them. I actually don't like the way they look. I live near BMWNA and have been able to see the M3/4 for months and I would study them when I was picking my color, and I just didn't like how "cartoonish" they make the car look. The eyes are actually too aggressive in my opinion. Because they kind of "smooshed" the nose of the car down from the e92, having these really pointed, aggressive eyes makes the car look to small in the front for me. I also don't like how, for lack of a better term, "techno" they look. Again, this is opinions so it doesn't really matter what we say, and I'm sure most people would disagree with me.

I also like the standard lights because the inner housing is black, not white. So I'm going for YMB, with Black wheels, carbon roof, standard lights because it matches the car nicer than the other set does.

I think it's a pricey option for something as simple as headlights. They should be $500. But regardless, I like the standard ones for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #26
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

minority here, but I personally think the Xenon bulbs look much cooler. they look like dark shark eyes when they're off. love that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #27
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Oh man, I don't want to regret it later on.
My car does not have the lighting package and I regret not getting it. Just order them they are stunning. The thing that bugs me most about my Xenons is the bulb for turn signal
      07-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
N-Y
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Maz, if ur planning to keep this car for a while, just get the LED, do it man! LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #29
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

I'm a big fan of black housing headlights. That's the only thing that's steering me towards xenon. Not price, not light output, not anything but a darker looking headlight. Sucks the leds don't have a dark housing.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #30
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Not that I'm going to change my mind ( I went with standard adaptive Xenons ), but anybody have an idea of the output of the Xenon bulbs..4K? 5K?..BTW, pretty sure you can swap the halogen side marker bulbs ( on Xenon lights ) to LEDS in the future..Companies like Bimmian, etc.. will come out with upgrades I'm sure. I have LED panel side markers on my E46 + E90 for example.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #31
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

If you're a sucker you'll opt for LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #32
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
If you're a sucker you'll opt for LEDs.
Why would you call your fellow forum members suckers because they chose LEDs?
      07-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #33
SOM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why would you call your fellow forum members suckers because they chose LEDs?
Well I was hoping that since they are educated buyers they would stay away from dumping their money. Also I used this: which means I'm safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Well I was hoping that since they are educated buyers they would stay away from dumping their money. Also I used this: which means I'm safe.
In that case, the act of buying an M3 or M4 is dumping money. It is just people's preference and how they choose to spend their money. That doesn't make any of us suckers.
      07-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #35
SOM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
In that case, the act of buying an M3 or M4 is dumping money. It is just people's preference and how they choose to spend their money. That doesn't make any of us suckers.
Relax, I was just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #36
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
I went with the standard lights that weigh less...because race car.

Well actually, I just made that up. I have no idea if there's a weight difference.

Really, I think if your car is loaded up with executive package, dct, etc. you should probably get the LED package too. The kind of buyer that is going to want to buy that car in the future will also want lighting package. May pass your car over if you don't have it.

If your F8x is more "stripped down" it should be fine to skip LED too.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #37
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs16
I'm a big fan of black housing headlights. That's the only thing that's steering me towards xenon. Not price, not light output, not anything but a darker looking headlight. Sucks the leds don't have a dark housing.
THIS

I hate how much silver and white is in the LED headlights. It's way too bright. It takes away from that sinister look IMO.

Plus I'm not crazy about the 3D look of the LED angel eyes. At angles it gives it an awkward "double vision" type appearance with doubled angel eyes.

The Xenons aren't as 3D and don't have that problem.

That said, I'd still get LED headlights. Lol. I'd just black them out like OSS does.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #38
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post
It's another subjective topic.

I think the only thing that merits the LED's is if you live in an area, mentioned above, where it's rural, there are no street lights and the extra lighting helps to see things to prevent an accident.

But being honest, I passed on them. I actually don't like the way they look. I live near BMWNA and have been able to see the M3/4 for months and I would study them when I was picking my color, and I just didn't like how "cartoonish" they make the car look. The eyes are actually too aggressive in my opinion. Because they kind of "smooshed" the nose of the car down from the e92, having these really pointed, aggressive eyes makes the car look to small in the front for me. I also don't like how, for lack of a better term, "techno" they look. Again, this is opinions so it doesn't really matter what we say, and I'm sure most people would disagree with me.

I also like the standard lights because the inner housing is black, not white. So I'm going for YMB, with Black wheels, carbon roof, standard lights because it matches the car nicer than the other set does.

I think it's a pricey option for something as simple as headlights. They should be $500. But regardless, I like the standard ones for now.

I initially agreed with you
But after looking at more pics the LED's did look more modern.
but still deciding if LED's are worth it for the long run.

Last edited by 4DRS55; 07-31-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #39
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I had Xenon's on my 335 and I have LEDs on my 650i. End of the day they both look really cool in their own ways, and they are both really good bright sets of headlights. As someone said, if you're on fun driving roads (not in cities all the time) at night the LEDs may be the way to go for you, especially if you can meet with a coder and get the full adaptivity unlocked.

Xenon:
Shark like darker sinister look
Cheaper

LED:
Coding available for full adaptive kit (from European models, not OEM available on US)
LED side halogens
Angel Eyes definitely look brighter during day driving
Side LED lights on the door handles

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #40
elbweb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
As someone said, if you're on fun driving roads (not in cities all the time) at night the LEDs may be the way to go for you, especially if you can meet with a coder and get the full adaptivity unlocked.
Can you elaborate on this? I haven't heard anything about 'full adaptivity' being unlocked.

Is this an expansion on the adaptive headlights that can come standard, or do you mean that there is something beyond that which can be enabled through coding?
      07-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #41
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rxn
Not that I'm going to change my mind ( I went with standard adaptive Xenons ), but anybody have an idea of the output of the Xenon bulbs..4K? 5K?..BTW, pretty sure you can swap the halogen side marker bulbs ( on Xenon lights ) to LEDS in the future..Companies like Bimmian, etc.. will come out with upgrades I'm sure. I have LED panel side markers on my E46 + E90 for example.
Good to know! I'll be making that mod soon as possible!
      07-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #42
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbweb View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I haven't heard anything about 'full adaptivity' being unlocked.

Is this an expansion on the adaptive headlights that can come standard, or do you mean that there is something beyond that which can be enabled through coding?
I just searched the forum (haha I hate when people do that, don't take offense) and came up with this among other things:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...k+adaptive+LED

That thread is much more expansive and touches on stuff this one doesn't, definitely check it out.

Of particular interest is this video which goes into detailed a overview of the LED adaptive technology much better then I can:

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #43
elbweb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
I just searched the forum (haha I hate when people do that, don't take offense) and came up with this among other things:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...k+adaptive+LED

That thread is much more expansive and touches on stuff this one doesn't, definitely check it out.

Of particular interest is this video which goes into detailed a overview of the LED adaptive technology much better then I can:
Apologies, then. I saw this previously and somehow, due to the wording before, thought he was talking about something else (more to do with the headlights turning/adjusting while you drive vs the automatic high beams).

Regardless, thanks for correcting me!
      07-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

What are you guys talking about with this "black vs white" housing? I don't see black or white... Also, usually there are a handful of forum snobs that slam guys for posting threads like this when there have been so many similar discussions and so many duplicate threads. Where are all the, "use the search function" comments - and the inevitable follow up of "yeah, use the search!" ?? You guys going soft on me?
Appreciate 0