GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #221
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
On a serious note - I'll look forward to seeing it. Considering SO interior myself but having not seen it in person or even in a real pic on the M3/4 I'm still undecided.
I had Fox Red interior on my E92 and I liked it much better than my buddy's all black one. Both of our cars were Jerez Black though. I expect SO interior to be along the same lines as Fox Red.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #222
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The A and CLA AMG are high HP, but BMW M said that they weren't that impressed with that engines characteristics... They would have done it differently

I haven't driven that car, but the engine is fairly low comp and supposedly has noticeable lag (since it's low comp (only 8,6:1), it makes less NA hp before turbo boost kicks in).

That 8,6:1 comp ratio is very old school compared to the 10+:1 that BMW turbo engines has. It seems like a cheap and easy way to make power just by lowering CR and adding boost. Low comp and high boost is easier to accomplish than high comp, high boost and high power... But the latter is far better when it comes to throttle response, as we have a engine that actually performs quite well also as a NA engine. A NA engine with only 8,6:1 compression isn't a very agile, responsive engine by itselves. A turbo engine with a low 8,6:1 CR requires boost to come alive. A turbo engine with a high 10+:1 CR actually makes decent power without boost as well.

The 2l AMG will perform worse off boost than a NA 2l version of the same engine, because CR is so low. A turbo engine with close to NA comp ratio, will perform much more like a NA version of the same engine off boost, as well as have more power on boost.

The S55 has a 10,2:1 CR
The S54 had a 11,5:1 CR
The S65 and N53 has a 12:1 CR

In theory, based on CR and that the S55 has DI, the S55 could actually not be to far off how a S54 behaves/feels (in the lower rev range and "off boost")

(My 1988 Cosworth 2l turbo has 8:1 comp ratio and 280hp. It's awesome when the boost comes, but very mundane off boost... Obviously not comparing a brand new AMG 2l turbo with old tech)
Ok I see, I haven't driven CLA AMG but the specs of that engine were quite impressive. I guess it makes sense that they were able to achieve good HP numbers by bolting a bigger turbo to it. Big turbo, low compression will equal lag...got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #223
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Which separate bumper piece in front ot the hood probably makes it far easier to manufacture a separate part that meets the EU standard"

And different designs might also help make a better score for the EuroNCAP tests:

http://euroncap.com/results/bmw/5_series/2010/401.aspx

To be able to have the active bonnet that lifts all 4 corners, it might be necessary to have that bonnet line so the hood is a separate piece from the bumper?

Compare that to the Audi A3 results:

http://euroncap.com/results/audi/a3/480.aspx
Both cars did well on the pedestrian test.

So what's Audi's excuse for not having the ugly hood cut on their 2015 cars or M-B not having a hood line on the new S class?

And I was under the impression that it was cheaper to manufacture the nose with the ugly hood cut.

The 2002 Z4 vs the E46 M3, the Z4 plasticky front was cheaper to produce.
Attached Images

Last edited by US///M3; 02-04-2014 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #224
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Both cars did well on the pedestrian test.

So what's Audi's excuse for not having the ugly hood cut on their 2015 cars or M-B not having a hood line on the new S class?

And I was under the impression that it was cheaper to manufacture the nose with the ugly hood cut.

The 2002 Z4 vs the E46 M3, the Z4 plasticky front was cheaper to produce.
Yes, that's what I have said: It's probably easier to manufacture a bumper piece like on the new F gen BMW's. Normally when something is easier, it's also cheaper...

And, yes both cars did "well" but the BMW did better and scored more points.

Where the BMW received this comment:

Quote:
the bumper scored maximum points
The AUDI got this comment:

Quote:
the protection offered by the bonnet was predominantly marginal and poor, as was the bonnet leading edge where a pedestrians upper leg would impact.
So, the above would indicate that, even though both meets the standard, the BMW is actually more forgiving and imposes less injury on a pedestrian. Most likely due to it's front bumper design that is soft all the way back to the bonnet, whereas the Audi has a harder bonnet with a leading edge exposed towards the pedestrians upper leg.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #225
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

How about drivers pay attention and just don't run into pedestrians... I like that option.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #226
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
How about drivers pay attention and just don't run into pedestrians... I like that option.
Right cause pedestrians are always right lol idiot drivers + idiot pedestrians= really bad outcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #227
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

sounds damn good.
      02-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #228
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
The M4 keeps growing on me

Yes it s growing very big for a 3/4 series
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #229
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Yes, that's what I have said: It's probably easier to manufacture a bumper piece like on the new F gen BMW's. Normally when something is easier, it's also cheaper...

And, yes both cars did "well" but the BMW did better and scored more points.

Where the BMW received this comment:

The AUDI got this comment:

So, the above would indicate that, even though both meets the standard, the BMW is actually more forgiving and imposes less injury on a pedestrian. Most likely due to it's front bumper design that is soft all the way back to the bonnet, whereas the Audi has a harder bonnet with a leading edge exposed towards the pedestrians upper leg.
The Audi scored 27 pts, 74% and is terrible to pedestrians...
The 3 series scored 28 pts, 78%, scored maximum points.

74%/27 pts is poor, 78%/28pts is outstanding. Okay
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #230
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
The Audi scored 27 pts, 74% and is terrible to pedestrians...
The 3 series scored 28 pts, 78%, scored maximum points.

74%/27 pts is poor, 78%/28pts is outstanding. Okay
That is NOT what I said... I actually said both did well!!!

Did you read how EuroNCAP commented on the BMW and Audi front ends at all???

Quote:
as was the bonnet leading edge where a pedestrians upper leg would impact.
I suggest you take your views on this up with EuroNCAP instead of me, it's THEIR comments. NOT mine...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #231
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

nah that sick sound we hear is artificial sound pumped outside to sound boss.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #232
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If you are perhaps more familiar with the E92 M3 than I am. I have only driven it on the count of the fingers on one hand. Then you know how everything is about precision.

A perfect synergy from steering , engine , M-DCT gearbox , dynamics etc all working in tandem.

That precision is intact as is almost instant response. From at stop if you had the space you can be flying in a few seconds.
The biggest change is in how the lightweight features combine to the driving experience. This is the next step although I did not put it on the test track.

In public however this is not a car if you are inexperienced to show off in, although some will.

if we take the EPS steering that is specially developed for this car.
It is an absolute revelation , it communicates with the car very precisely there is no mistake that it is an M car its not recognisable if you are familiar with other models.
The steering wheel is also the perfect size and is well weighted and good to grip.

The "essence" is because this feels like a more powerful engine than what it actually is. If anyone was none the wiser they would guess its a V8 if they knew nothing whatsoever about this car.

There is something familiar but its very progressive its a new beginning to a very exciting tomorrow.

An example of the car.
First, thanks for all you do for this site and the info you provide. It is amazing!

I am sure you can't write too much about it, so I'll ask a generic question and let you answer in whatever way you can or see fit. Having driven the DCT equipped car, do you think the 6MT would somehow be the lesser experience? I know you wrote about the harmony between engine, transmission and suspension. Do you feel that would be better, worse or just different with the 6MT?

Anything you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks again Scott!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #233
iamcam
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I think it's just the result of BMWs ambition and maybe need to become one of the securely free standing car giants with a more complete portfolio. Even if you have some overlap it's still IMO preferable with the same car in different shapes than for example VAG, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM that often have pretty much the same car with different badges.
That may be, but why not fill an actual hole in the lineup then, rather than filling one that isn't really even there (large 7-seater SUV to compete with the GL Series for example)?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #234
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcam View Post
That may be, but why not fill an actual hole in the lineup then, rather than filling one that isn't really even there (large 7-seater SUV to compete with the GL Series for example)?
Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they are waiting for the new full size and lightweight G chassis to expand the large models around? 7 series GT, 8- series coupe,vert, X7 etc. Just wild guesses but I assume the growth markets demands will play a large role as BMW try to fill every niche.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #235
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything. But how many times must we cover the nose cone of a modern BMW. When one of the more significant benefits become overlooked.

Yes it is there because of pedestrian protection but it is also there to provide benefit for the owner. If your car is in a minimal speed accident , the split panel could prevent damage to your actual hood therefore it will be cheaper for insurance companies and the owner to repair. Where as you could pay significantly for a new hood if in another vehicle.
      02-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #236
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
First, thanks for all you do for this site and the info you provide. It is amazing!

I am sure you can't write too much about it, so I'll ask a generic question and let you answer in whatever way you can or see fit. Having driven the DCT equipped car, do you think the 6MT would somehow be the lesser experience? I know you wrote about the harmony between engine, transmission and suspension. Do you feel that would be better, worse or just different with the 6MT?

Anything you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks again Scott!
I have not driven the manual car but M3/M4 is a totally different philosophy in the way that the manual for these cars are not an afterthought like the M5 and M6. The importance of M4 and M3 is that they continued to be offered and developed from the beginning to feature a manual transmission. So that is important and a priority to the overall brief.

I do not think it will be a lesser experience , perhaps equal or maybe significantly better? People in these kind of mid-sized performance cars still like to feel the conventional over extended technology. So rest assured the manual equipped car will be engineered to satisfy.

However from my initial experience the M-DCT though is tailor made for this car.
      02-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #237
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

Just pulled the video view stats. Avg # of times video has been viewed by users posting in this thread: 9.3 times. Max views by one user: 28.
      02-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #238
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse or anything. But how many times must we cover the nose cone of a modern BMW. When one of the more significant benefits become overlooked.

Yes it is there because of pedestrian protection but it is also there to provide benefit for the owner.
I believe that this type of thread never ends because there is a belief that the unbecoming BMW nose cone was a design choice that might have been influenced by the pedestrian safety regulations BUT not mandated by the regulations since other manufacturers have their 2015 hoods without this cut line, and I believe they look much better than the BMW's. I could be wrong though (it's happened before)...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #239
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
So if it sounds good at 3000 rpm (I believe that was second gear at over 5000 rpm) why would it sound worst at higher rpm?
+1 thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #240
House MD
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Couldn't belive it, that was my hometown Ludwigsburg
Have to call my old my friends, maybe anyone saw this car in person??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #241
///MTUNED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MTUNED
+1,000,000,000... It's over for the E90/92/93 M3's!!! These new ///Monsters are going to make them look old and feel sooooo slow. Hahahahaha
The fastest car isn't always the best car. You do a good job at insulting a lot of people on here though, so for that I say congratulations.
You seem mad... Dont be mad, try to understand that we do want you as a ///M Fan.

P.S. if you feel insulted when someone says something about your car... You should go shopping for some self esteem not the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #242
Jbmw21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmwm3

BMW M4 in Alpine White

Saw this online figured anyone who wants to see it in white looks amazing defiantly getting that color
Attached Images

Appreciate 0