proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 GT2, Touareg TDI, 328D

991 GT3 RS Price Point

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For those comparing M 3/4 with GT3s, the new MSRP for the new RS (Oct. 2014) here in the USA, will be 180K as a base model.
This is roughly 50K increase from previous base model 997.2 GT3RS and pretty much on par with 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 which was a limited edition car with 600 world units and about 120 in the Country.
Also 100 lbs lighter than 991 GT3 and 500 hp (which are always underrated by Porsche)

Just interesting info for those who care and also one more reason why these cars shouldn't be compared.
997.2 GT3 RS (gone to a great home)
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

As if we really needed any reason.

People who are comparing these cars make me
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

more often than not.
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

They are in two different ballgames, let alone leagues. The 991 GT3 RS is the only car that will top the 991 GT3.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
So i can get an M4 for 70k and save around 110k and get a Panamera GTS,
who in their right mind shelling out almost 200k for a beefed up/lighter 911
Cant agree on that. The GT3 is the standard for a Motorsport car. The GT3 RS 4.0 was/is one of the greatest production cars in history and then new GT3 will only top it and do what GT3s have done before (win and embarrass the competition) to an even greater degree.

Not even the 458 italia (which is by all means a phenomenal car) was chosen over it in comparos, nor was the Mclaren (also great car). Its just that good.

The previous GT3 RS was ~170K so it was up there too. But for the best, thats a bargain compared to what Ferrari/Lambo/McL charge.

Also I think the M4 is going to be 100K for a fully loaded car. IMO BMW has no business in that price territory. The M6 has no business at 120-130K either, thats why the market on them and the M5s are so soft, they arent worth 100K+.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 09-27-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So i can get an M4 for 70k and save around 110k and get a Panamera GTS,
who in their right mind is shelling out almost 200k for a beefed up/lighter 911?
Carlos, by your comment I would assume you're not very familiar with Porsches or with gt3 / RS iterations.

The only thing they share with a base 911 is the chassis itself. Up to this moment, engine, transmission, suspension (by suspension I mean the complete package eve uprights and geometry, not only the adjustable shocks or springs)
Brakes etc. So basically they are completely different cars that only share the name and 'basic' looks of a base 911.

That being said the reason why someone would pay 180K (which supposedly ow is the new RS price) is only because is one of the most rewarding and track worthy street car available on the market.

My point is that a lot of people on the forum like to compare performance of a gt 3 with m3.

Also to say that the price of the last 997.2 GT3RS that used to be just above 135k as a base Msrp jumped to 180K while the regular GT3 only went up about 10-15K even offering more standard equip.
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Cant agree on that. The GT3 is the standard for a Motorsport car. The GT3 RS 4.0 was/is one of the greatest production cars in history and then new GT3 will only top it and do what GT3s have done before (win and embarrass the competition) to an even greater degree.

Not even the 458 italia (which is by all means a phenomenal car) was chosen over it in comparos, nor was the Mclaren (also great car). Its just that good.

The previous GT3 RS was ~170K so it was up there too. But for the best, thats a bargain compared to what Ferrari/Lambo/McL charge.

Also I think the M4 is going to be 100K for a fully loaded car. IMO BMW has no business in that price territory. The M6 has no business at 120-130K either, thats why the market on them and the M5s are so soft, they arent worth 100K+.
Only GT3RS at about 185K Msrp was the limited 4.0
All others were much lower being the latest 3.8rs at just over 135K

4.0 in pristine low miles are being traded at north of 300K in today's market,
But we'll what people know, it's just a light 911
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, still doesn't make any sense, if im paying 200k i want a supercar built from scratch, i want something unique, not a car based on volume seller entry level 911, i want a Gallardo, i want an SLS AMG i want a car that was built to be a supercar, not an afterthought, but since this is a personal choice, to each his own...

It's just personal preference pal, Jeremy Clarkson hates 911 because they haven't innovated again since the 50s, they just keep evolving the same design, according to him they had a great idea and they just keep living off of it, he has states this in a lot of episodes, if you love the 911 fine, i want to be awed and surprised at the next thing a car maker is going to come up with, Lamborghini is the prime example of this, every new car you lay back and say wow, think Aventador, Egoista, etc
I have a deposit on a 991RS. GT3RS buyers are not Lambo buyers, your the latter, thank god.

991 S4 just beat the C7 and V12 F Car in their latest driver's comparison at Laguna. But, yeah, it's a fast Beetle to some, their loss.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Nope, still doesn't make any sense, if im paying 200k i want a supercar built from scratch, i want something unique, not a car based on volume seller entry level 911, i want a Gallardo, i want an SLS AMG i want a car that was built to be a supercar, not an afterthought, but since this is a personal choice, to each his own...

It's just personal preference pal, Jeremy Clarkson hates 911 because they haven't innovated again since the 50s, they just keep evolving the same design, according to him they had a great idea and they just keep living off of it, he has states this in a lot of episodes, if you love the 911 fine, i want to be awed and surprised at the next thing a car maker is going to come up with, Lamborghini is the prime example of this, every new car you lay back and say wow, think Aventador, Egoista, etc
First of all, basing your opinion on what Clarkson says is pretty laughable.

By your comments above, seems as if you prefer looks over engineering. Personal preference to be sure and your prerogative. Gallardo? LOL. 911 GT3 will shame it any day. Unless all you are looking for is flash, and not the actual driving experience.

Actually most of your comments above are fairly ignorant of 911 history. And the 911 GT3 is so far removed from the standard 911 (which, to say, is hardly volume at $100k entry level before options) it's laughable.

Nope, I think you've been living in Beverly Hills too long...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I have a deposit on a 991RS. GT3RS buyers are not Lambo buyers, your the latter, thank god.

991 S4 just beat the C7 and V12 F Car in their latest driver's comparison at Laguna. But, yeah, it's a fast Beetle to some, their loss.
lol. Think the beetle guys are saying that with $90k of mods, they could kick a 991RS's ass? Or does that just happen here? Best of luck with the new car. You must be champing at the bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evobr View Post
For those comparing M 3/4 with GT3s, the new MSRP for the new RS (Oct. 2014) here in the USA, will be 180K as a base model.
This is roughly 50K increase from previous base model 997.2 GT3RS and pretty much on par with 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 which was a limited edition car with 600 world units and about 120 in the Country.
Also 100 lbs lighter than 991 GT3 and 500 hp (which are always underrated by Porsche)

Just interesting info for those who care and also one more reason why these cars shouldn't be compared.
Absolutely spot on, as we spoke about yesterday.

Problem with this thread is that it invites comments by two ends of the spectrum who are equally clueless. (1) Carlos Danger who has a VERY shallow knowledge of cars and (2) WolfinWolf'sclothing who is a VERY neurotic Porsche fanboy.

Consolidated: Excellent post too. The GT3RS is rarely cross shopped with a Lamborghini as the first buyer (P) is generally an enthusiast, the second (L) an attention yearner.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Thats a lot of cake, I'd just stick with the GT3 for 135k and call it a day. No need to go RS for THAT much more money.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Evolving design, yes, its iconic. Without that shape it wouldnt be a 911.

As for engineering, they are some of the most overengineered cars in the world. They have spent so much perfecting the suspension geometry, steering is and always has been industry standard by good margin, and the motor is a masterpiece in any GT3 to name a few of the reasons why its held and praised so highly by all.

The GT3 is the winningest car in racing history. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post

Problem with this thread is that it invites comments by two ends of the spectrum who are equally clueless. (1) Carlos Danger who has a VERY shallow knowledge of cars and (2) WolfinWolf'sclothing who is a VERY neurotic Porsche fanboy.

Consolidated: Excellent post too. The GT3RS is rarely cross shopped with a Lamborghini as the first buyer (P) is generally an enthusiast, the second (L) an attention yearner.
I resent that. I have more Porsche knowledge than probably 99.9% of people here and hate the misinformed statements some members make. Am I a huge Porsche fan, youre damn right, and for good reason. And unlike most who like to opine on them, Ive actually owned several and have owned a 911, Cayman S, and Cayenne models and have a lot of seat time and experience with all their models. I think hands down they make the best cars in the world from the Boxster to the Cayenne to the 911. I will always admit that.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I was commenting more on what they were going for ad dealers, not just base price. Most 997.2 RS' were 160-170 at the dealer...just ask me how I know.

But otherwise, youre absolutely correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

BMW and Porsche IMO build the best attainable cars. I'm now in a BMW budget. If/when I get a Porsche budget and Porsche has a car in the size I need I'll be moving on. BMW and Porsche has a small overlap with a few models but where BMW stop Porsche continues. The GT3 is far beyond BMW's current lineup and the RS is out of sight.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I initially thought that would be worth to give a shot and try to show/demonstrate or even educate one about the subject, but after your post I see that would be the same for you to try to explain or even share your experiences as a plastic surgeon with me, totally worthless as my level of knowledge in this subject wouldn't allow me to appreciate it.

I wrote the answer a few times until I deleted it all after getting into this conclusion.

Good luck !

BTW - following your line of initial thoughts what would make one pay 100k for a 'beefed up' 528i ?
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post

Same here but at this price point I may just pass it, I still hope this info is not correct, although not likely.
Passed on the GT3 as I found my current car and even though these cars are not investment, I tend to migrate to low production number cars as they tend to keep their values better. That being said the last few ones I had only appreciated.
It was a pleasure to get paid to drive an RS for 2 years .
At this price point you open the spectrum to some interesting cars (at least to me) like the mp4. As they will all be flappy pedal cars, and I don't tend to track a 200K car as often I as is did with my previous ones, the gap closes down a bit.
Just food for thought.
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Touché !
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
m3evobr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe i should base my opinion in someone that "needsdecaf" instead of one the top automotive journalists in the world, with dozens of books written about Supercars and host of THE MOST successful car show of the 21st Century, but sure right is so laughable to trust one of the most respected reviewers in the auto industry, sure...
I would say neither one. - Facts and personal knowledge.

Either we keep this pretty civilized or I'll just close the thread. Getting like honda forums around here.
THE HANNIBAL VIDEOS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:

I thought a GT3-RS was nothing special too but then I grew up.. lol

Most people who put down any GT3 car, do so because they haven't experienced one. What an amazing car
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

+1 to this

He's a shallow individual overall.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Maybe i should base my opinion in someone that "needsdecaf" instead of one the top automotive journalists in the world, with dozens of books written about Supercars and host of THE MOST successful car show of the 21st Century, but sure right is so laughable to trust one of the most respected reviewers in the auto industry, sure...
Clarkson's a comedian.

Not a reviewer.

If I wanted a reviewer I would go to Jalopnik (You seem to be there a lot, you go on Oppo?) or /drive's Chris Harris.

GT3 RS...so, this, the R8 V10+, and Turbo S are competing in price point. So AWD Supercar, stripped out track car, and insanely fast GT compete with each other, while still having a valid argument for competition.

So Carlos, may I please ask your honorable self a few questions? First, what's your opinion on the Audi R8 V10 that's based on a mere 120k car? Second, why did you spend 95k on a beefed up 520i?
Appreciate 0