EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Ben Barry in the excerpt said the M3 had better grip. The C63 also has understeer, body roll, and inferior handling but I suppose those are traits you enjoy.

I find it hilarious the amount of time you spend on here talking about you car you dislike and never plan on getting.
That is exactly why I chose my Evo X over a Lexus IS350 FSport. It did everything in that sentence and had a- does what it wants slush box tranny.

I find this person Alex to be a troll. I like cars in general and will spend time looking in other forums but I actively participate in what I favor/own as I can possibly offer useful information on the subject and share my opinion positive or negative. But I'm committed because I bought the car already.
If you like the AMGs that much, bugger off to those forums, stop acting like a child in every thread regarding these two vehicles.

Why would anyone buy a Patek yet spend time in the AP section yapping about finish and detail...AP guys don't give a crap, they selected their watch for their own reasons. Or better yet, can't you just enjoy both for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Has better seats if you pay for them.

Sound isn't synthesized.

Blahhh... Blahh... Blahhh.
What is the gotdamn official word on this. I keep seeing this fake sound bit and then I research and find it's not fake, then some nugget in a mag comes along and says it's fake again. I find BMW's language in describing it vague and inconclusive.

Is is fake or not. Does anyone have official links I can read. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #24
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
That is exactly why I chose my Evo X over a Lexus IS350 FSport. It did everything in that sentence and had a- does what it wants slush box tranny.

I find this person Alex to be a troll. I like cars in general and will spend time looking in other forums but I actively participate in what I favor/own as I can possibly offer useful information on the subject and share my opinion positive or negative. But I'm committed because I bought the car already.
If you like the AMGs that much, bugger off to those forums, stop acting like a child in every thread regarding these two vehicles.

Why would anyone buy a Patek yet spend time in the AP section yapping about finish and detail...AP guys don't give a crap, they selected their watch for their own reasons. Or better yet, can't you just enjoy both for what they are.

What is the gotdamn official word on this. I keep seeing this fake sound bit and then I research and find it's not fake, then some nugget in a mag comes along and says it's fake again. I find BMW's language in describing it vague and inconclusive.

The sounds is not fake, most of the writers haven't done their research! The sound is being piped in, the sound is real and not fake. Spoke with the BMW master technician while my car was being worked on for the 1200 mile service and I asked him bunch of questions and one of them is why BMW decided to go that rout... simply put its actual sound that is lightly piped in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #25
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post

It takes the engine noise picked up by transducers(Fancy name for mic?)and is pumped into the speaker system.

It's not like what you see in the M5,.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Just turn off ASD and your car will seem much more natural but quieter. Can hear more crackles and pops but less downshifts.

It will also give it 'character' which apparently just means sound lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Thanks for the post OP. This was a well written article.

Kudos to Mercedes for taking the bland, unremarkable last gen C63 and turning it into this beast. It's a great car, that finally looks as great as it drives.
Completely agree. The last C Class itself was uninspiring IMHO. I have never ignored a German car as much as the previous C class in terms of looks. The current one is a step above inside and out. Yes, the rear end is polarizing, but overall they have a winner in my book.

I even felt the 507 was just OK aesthetically even though it was a monster performance wise.

Anyways, this is only good news for BMW as their arch rival has stepped it up. I really like the M interiors, but I think the next iterations will take it to another level.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #28
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
The sounds is not fake, most of the writers haven't done their research! The sound is being piped in, the sound is real and not fake. Spoke with the BMW master technician while my car was being worked on for the 1200 mile service and I asked him bunch of questions and one of them is why BMW decided to go that rout... simply put its actual sound that is lightly piped in.
Quote:
It takes the engine noise picked up by transducers(Fancy name for mic?)and is pumped into the speaker system.

Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #29
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
So the C63 has more power and more grip, is more confortable and more confidence inspirering while being just as fun, sounds miles better, without any of that synthesized sound BS, and has more luxurious interior with nicer seats. Seems like the only thing missing is a sportier rear end, hopefully the coupe will deliver!!
Ben Barry in the excerpt said the M3 had better grip. The C63 also has understeer, body roll, and inferior handling but I suppose those are traits you enjoy.

I find it hilarious the amount of time you spend on here talking about you car you dislike and never plan on getting.
The C63 handling caracteristics you are talking about are all things that can be experienced only on hard driving, like when tracking, for a daily driver with 3-4 track days a year, those compromise are worth it IMO, at least I think so since I have'nt eard any complain about the handling of the C63, in fact reviewers seems very impressed by it. For all the benefit you get elsewhere, like stupidly awsome engine(performance and sound) and added confort as well as more luxurious place to sit in, I'd get the Merc, that's probably also why they say in the Portugal magazine review that eventhough their choice is the M3, they think the C63 is the better car for 90% of people!

As for the comment about having to pay for the seats, well for less then the price of the BMW Performance exhaust(which does'nt even sound good IMO), you have the AMG sport exhaust + sport seats, so it's clear that the big loser is the BMW costumer if you ask me! And that's without speaking of the free alcantara steering option at Mercedes, which BMW will ask ~$1k for!

And if you are still wondering why I like to come here to compare cars against what should have been my next car(F8x), just go on the E9x forum and you'll realise that not many people there care about the new cars that are coming to the market, I'm not even sure they are aware that the new C63 has started to get reviewed!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #30
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response.
To me the sound inside the F8x is just as real as looking at Britney Spears lip syncing on her Auto-Tune voice, a cheesy way to do things IMO, that's why so many complain about the sound and why so many people cancel the ASD!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #31
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response.
To me the sound inside the F8x is just as real as looking at Britney Spears lip syncing on her Auto-Tune voice, a cheesy way to do things IMO, that's why so many complain about the sound and why so many people cancel the ASD!
U would still tap it though
      03-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #32
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The entire time he will be whining about it and probably get kicked out of the bedroom
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #33
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
so many people cancel it? seems like some have, but a bunch have also cancelled it only to re-enable it. real or fake, the extra noise serves a purpose - to help you stay connected with what the engine is doing so you can shift appropriately
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #34
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
so many people cancel it? seems like some have, but a bunch have also cancelled it only to re-enable it. real or fake, the extra noise serves a purpose - to help you stay connected with what the engine is doing so you can shift appropriately
Without an aftermarket Cat-back & filters I would leave it on. Once you can really hear the exhaust/intake the car shines without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #35
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Interesting to see the C63 and not the C63S in this review. Regardless, thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #36
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

It seems Benz have made a better job of creating a better C63 than BMW in creating a better M3 but head to head the C63 still can't match the sharpness and athleticism of the M3 chassis so it unfortunately does not seem to be a better M3, yet...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #37
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Interesting to see the base C63 take the win whereas the C63S to me seems like from what it offers if the one to have.

Looks like they arent too far apart on weight based on this review.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #38
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Excellent read - thanks for posting.

(and, frankly, it sure isn't a hate fest for the M3 like some around here would have predicted, huh?)

edit: What is funny is I read the review and think "yeah, M3 is the car for me...."
      03-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #39
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
The entire time he will be whining about it and probably get kicked out of the bedroom

HAHA! I lol'd.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #40
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It seems Benz have made a better job of creating a better C63 than BMW in creating a better M3 but head to head the C63 still can't match the sharpness and athleticism of the M3 chassis so it unfortunately does not seem to be a better M3, yet...
Different focuses for the cars IMO. BMW is building a car that focuses more on track orientation. MB is building a car focused more on street use. Both can work well in either environment but there is less focus on the "track" application with the MB as evidenced by weight, transmission, etc.

To be honest, I'm really surprised MB didn't come in at a lower weight. Most reports are still putting the car hundreds of pounds heavier than the M3 but I was confident they would be spitting distance apart. This review says the difference is 100lbs but I have seen others that show the C63S upwards of 300 lbs (the other review with the C63S was 135kg variance based on the stats I saw). 300lbs is meaningful at a track... less so on the street. Different purposes for the cars. Different character.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 03-18-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #41
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I think the part the article bolded is spot on:

"The AMG brand typically focuses on grand tourers. Not surprisingly then, the new C63 is exactly that."

I disagree that BMW did not build a better M3 in the way AMG built a better C63.

I think this is car is leaps and bounds above the previous E90, in sharpness, in power, in handling, in track readiness, etc.

Interior- M3's have never been bold- it is mostly BMW spartan interior designs

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #42
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Different focuses for the cars IMO. BMW is building a car that focuses more on track orientation. MB is building a car focused more on street use. Both can work well in either environment but there is less focus on the "track" application with the MB as evidenced by weight, transmission, etc.

To be honest, I'm really surprised MB didn't come in at a lower weight. Most reports are still putting the car hundreds of pounds heavier than the M3 but I was confident they would be spitting distance apart.
To be honest, how hard was it to make a better C63? I mean the previous car had a great engine but everything else you could improve upon with closed eyes.
      03-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #43
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
I think the part the article bolded is spot on:

"The AMG brand typically focuses on grand tourers. Not surprisingly then, the new C63 is exactly that."

I disagree that BMW did not build a better M3 in the way AMG built a better C63.

I think this is car is leaps and bounds above the previous E90, in sharpness, in power, in handling, in track readiness, etc.

Interior- M3's have never been bold- it is mostly BMW spartan interior designs
I love solstice he's a great poster but he's a V8 and "character" guy it seems. Cant blame him. If you were looking for more of that I'm sure you're not the biggest F8x fanboy.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #44
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

As others have noted, this review included the C63, not the S. It will be interesting to see track tests of the C63S v. the M3/4. I expect the S will be a bit heavier than the base C63. However, with the electronic diff, larger wheels and tires and increased HP and TQ, I also expect it to be faster in a straight line with improved handling over the base C63.

Nonetheless, I think the M will give the C63S a good run for the money on the 'ring and other challenging tracks.

Now the biggest question is when will AMG actually be able to deliver the C63S in any quantity in the US? Seems like it won't be for the 2015 model year.
Appreciate 0