R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Der
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Annoying noise from drivers seat

Hi all,

I have read numerous posts about interior rattles, etc., but it seems I am facing a unique problem with my new m3 (only 400 miles on the clock!).

When I accelerate/decelerate, or generally move around in my seat, sometimes (not all the time), I hear a clicking noise, which seems to come from inside the drivers seat. I know it is difficult to diagnose where noises come from, but it is almost like it is coming from the left side of the seat.

It sounds almost like a ticking/clicking noise and is not very loud, however if you know it is there, you would be able to hear it.

I am not really sure, whether I should take it to my dealer, as I am afraid that they will disassemble the seat and l will end up with 20 new rattles after they take apart the lumbar support and the side bolster mechanisms
Trying to comfort myself that some of the parts in the seat are "bedding in", but it really annoys me :/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Customer: "There's an annoying noise from the driver's seat"

Dealer: "It's the driver"

j/k, J/K

The ticking noise is probably a car bomb...
Appreciate 2
Draper3460.50
      06-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Der
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

j/k, J/K

Dont get me wrong, its all fun, but its really not cool when you have just spent £60,000 on your first M car and are looking forward to drive it every single day, but the stupid noise pisses you off Especially when the car has only done 400 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Take the car back to the dealer and explain the issue to the service manager. The techs love working on the M cars, and to be honest the guys that work on the M cars are the very best guys in the shop.

My car has about 1500 miles. The rev match is sporadically not working (and sometimes IS working in sport plus) In other words, I have a ghost in my machine, lol. My car is in the shop for the last couple of days... I'm confident they will figure it out.

Best thing you can do.... get to know your service manager. Bring lunch into the dept a couple times a year. Find out who in the department is an enthusiast as well as an employee and talk to him/her here and there. once they know you your car will get the very best treatment always.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Hahaha! I first read this as "Annoying noise coming from passenger seat" and before I clicked on the thread my first thought was "Duct tape will solve that!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Best thing you can do.... get to know your service manager. Bring lunch into the dept a couple times a year. Find out who in the department is an enthusiast as well as an employee and talk to him/her here and there. once they know you your car will get the very best treatment always.
Don't forget the Service Advisor. My wife and I found a great SA and always ask for him by name. He's gone to bat for us on more than one occasion on warranty claims, the last one was for complete replacement of the front brake pads and rotors, just before our factory maintenance expired, even though they had been already replaced once and after BMW said they will no longer replace pads and rotors with the free maintenance. We've brought him small gifts and food from time to time. I don't think I've even met the Service Manager.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
deltamikealpha
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just to drag up an old topic - did you ever get this sorted? I'm pretty sure my F80 is doing the same thing. If I hold the top right of my seat it seems to go away, really irritating and not very loud, and extremely difficult to work out where it's coming from because moving around in the seat and dodgy road surfaces don't necessarily make it happen.. it's infuriating

Just interested to see if you got anywhere, as I also feel the same about dealers touching it..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der View Post
Hi all,

I have read numerous posts about interior rattles, etc., but it seems I am facing a unique problem with my new m3 (only 400 miles on the clock!).

When I accelerate/decelerate, or generally move around in my seat, sometimes (not all the time), I hear a clicking noise, which seems to come from inside the drivers seat. I know it is difficult to diagnose where noises come from, but it is almost like it is coming from the left side of the seat.

It sounds almost like a ticking/clicking noise and is not very loud, however if you know it is there, you would be able to hear it.

I am not really sure, whether I should take it to my dealer, as I am afraid that they will disassemble the seat and l will end up with 20 new rattles after they take apart the lumbar support and the side bolster mechanisms
Trying to comfort myself that some of the parts in the seat are "bedding in", but it really annoys me :/
There is already a thread on this:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1357315
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

j/k, J/K

03-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
deltamikealpha
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Oh nice one. Thanks!
Appreciate 0