R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The dark side of the Eco Pro

Can we get a balls out gamification solution to be as anti ECO PRO as possible?!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Why?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Why?
I agree. It's a feature that you don't have to use. There is no logical reason to be against it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae
Can we get a balls out gamification solution to be as anti ECO PRO as possible?!
Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't even know what you are trying to say here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
LOL - sorry must be my britishness!

Move along nothing to see here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
does this M even have an ecopro option?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
does this M even have an ecopro option?
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes!
You're kidding right? I always thought comfort was the lesser setting in M versions.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
You're kidding right? I always thought comfort was the lesser setting in M versions.
How it's packaged under the Efficient Dynamics umbrella remains to be seen. The adjustability range is greater on the ///M's, so the least sensitive throttle setting will probably be ///M's ECO PRO equivalent. With so much attention paid to achieving better MPG's, it wouldn't surprise me if there was an actually ECO PRO mode on the F8X.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I'm for it, taking long trips whatever keeps me out of fuel stations longer is good.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I'm for it, taking long trips whatever keeps me out of fuel stations longer is good.
Me too! I'm all for performance cars that get good mileage. Hell, if a Corvette can get good gas mileage while still being a performance beast, a friggin' ///M3 should be able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
How it's packaged under the Efficient Dynamics umbrella remains to be seen. The adjustability range is greater on the ///M's, so the least sensitive throttle setting will probably be ///M's ECO PRO equivalent. With so much attention paid to achieving better MPG's, it wouldn't surprise me if there was an actually ECO PRO mode on the F8X.
The lowest setting for throttle sensitivity for the M5/M6 is simply called "Efficient", so that's probably what it will be called for the F8x as well.

Not sure if it will correspond more to Eco Pro or Comfort mode on a F3x, but I'd guess the latter. I think Eco Pro mode achieves its efficiency largely by lowering the shift points down which won't be effected by the M throttle sensitivity setting. You could, of course, use D1 mode to simulate that too (if you have DCT). But I think Eco Pro also does other clever things ECU-wise to try to conserve fuel which the M probably won't. That's my take anyway.

In some ways you can't really compare the M Driving Dynamics Control to the standard series Driving Dynamics Control because the M let's you tweak throttle/transmission/steering/suspension separately whereas, with a non-M, you don't get individual control over those settings.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The lowest setting for throttle sensitivity for the M5/M6 is simply called "Efficient", so that's probably what it will be called for the F8x as well.

Not sure if it will correspond more to Eco Pro or Comfort mode on a F3x, but I'd guess the latter. I think Eco Pro mode achieves its efficiency largely by lowering the shift points down which won't be effected by the M throttle sensitivity setting. You could, of course, use D1 mode to simulate that too (if you have DCT). But I think Eco Pro also does other clever things ECU-wise to try to conserve fuel which the M probably won't. That's my take anyway.

In some ways you can't really compare the M Driving Dynamics Control to the standard series Driving Dynamics Control because the M let's you tweak throttle/transmission/steering/suspension separately whereas, with a non-M, you don't get individual control over those settings.
Yes and no. I have a manual 335i, so while it makes suggestions, it won't do it for me obviously (..unlike automatic cars). I usually shift lower than the intended shift points just due to my driving style when I'm being conservative. It does also adjust the A/C, etc. when in ECO PRO, so you are right about other conversation methods (..part and parcel to ASS, which the new ///M will have).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

There's no Eco Pro in the M5 / M6 in that there's no indicator that you are in Eco Pro mode, and it doesn't calculate the +0.5 whatever miles you've "gained" by driving in Eco Pro mode.

I would not expect it to be any different on the M3. Now it does have stop start.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Yes and no. I have a manual 335i, so while it makes suggestions, it won't do it for me obviously (..unlike automatic cars). I usually shift lower than the intended shift points just due to my driving style when I'm being conservative. It does also adjust the A/C, etc. when in ECO PRO, so you are right about other conversation methods (..part and parcel to ASS, which the new ///M will have).
Right, I was referring to the automatic with that part about shift RPM. But as you point out (and thanks for giving a specific example) it adjusts other things to try to conserve fuel. The M3/M4 probably won't do this (assuming the M5/M6 don't, which I believe is true).

I agree the M models do have AS/S but this too will be an individual setting not tied to the DDC. In fact, it's the same for the series car as well right? Unless Eco PRO automatically re-enables AS/S in which case that would be just one more thing that will set that mode apart from anything that the M will have. No corny mileage counter either (thankfully) as Needsdecaf just pointed out.

In the end, I think we can agree that it's not about the terminology or branding, and that certainly the F8x (like the F1x M) will have the ability to go conservative on settings with the goal of being as efficient as possible if that's what the driver desires at a given time.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Right, I was referring to the automatic with that part about shift RPM. But as you point out (and thanks for giving a specific example) it adjusts other things to try to conserve fuel. The M3/M4 probably won't do this (assuming the M5/M6 don't, which I believe is true).

I agree the M models do have AS/S but this too will be an individual setting not tied to the DDC. In fact, it's the same for the series car as well right? Unless Eco PRO automatically re-enables AS/S in which case that would be just one more thing that will set that mode apart from anything that the M will have. No corny mileage counter either (thankfully) as Needsdecaf just pointed out.

In the end, I think we can agree that it's not about the terminology or branding, and that certainly the F8x (like the F1x M) will have the ability to go conservative on settings with the goal of being as efficient as possible if that's what the driver desires at a given time.
Yes, the ECO PRO does, in fact, do this. In addition, your final point is very well articulated. I agree completely!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Maybe its just me but I would want to enjoy every possible mile without wimpy settings. The thought of an eco-pro mode just does not seem right. Ban the mode!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
F8x (like the F1x M) will have the ability to go conservative on settings with the goal of being as efficient as possible if that's what the driver desires at a given time.
And the driver would be well advised to stay out of the fast lane in that limp mode lest he get run over by a Prius.
Appreciate 0