Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Andy348
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Jeep SRT

F82 M4 vs E92 M3 vs everything else

Hello all,

Please bear with me. I understand that most (if not all) comparable cars have been discussed at length, and I've enjoyed reading all of those threads. I'm looking for some opinions specific to my circumstance... and due to the fact that I enjoy researching cars, I can pretty much talk myself in or out of any sports car. I would enjoy some unbiased viewpoints, or as unbiased as possible on a BMW forum

I will leave you with only the facts, and please let me know what direction you would go:

Young, with no kids for the next 4-6 years
Willing to spend up to $100K CAD ($75K USD to spend)
Reliable daily transportation taken care of
Can be used or new
Preferably 6 speed, but open to anything
Looking to keep this car for the next 10 years
DD-able or bare bones racecar/weekend car, open to either one
Open to doing work myself (maintenance, or supercharging, etc) if needed or fun

In terms of circumstances:
Roads around here are in rough condition, a couple decent roads with turns but generally straight
Dealerships can be far (3 hours for most Germans; 10 for GTR, 12 for Italians)

I've considered pretty much all the options out there and I have somewhat settled on the M4 because I've always been a BMW guy, and I like the idea of European Delivery. However, I have read several times on this forum that people would look elsewhere if they already had a DD, and/or if they were looking to keep the car long-term.

WWYD?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy348 View Post
Hello all,

Please bear with me. I understand that most (if not all) comparable cars have been discussed at length, and I've enjoyed reading all of those threads. I'm looking for some opinions specific to my circumstance... and due to the fact that I enjoy researching cars, I can pretty much talk myself in or out of any sports car. I would enjoy some unbiased viewpoints, or as unbiased as possible on a BMW forum

I will leave you with only the facts, and please let me know what direction you would go:

Young, with no kids for the next 4-6 years
Willing to spend up to $100K CAD ($75K USD to spend)
Reliable daily transportation taken care of
Can be used or new
Preferably 6 speed, but open to anything
Looking to keep this car for the next 10 years
DD-able or bare bones racecar/weekend car, open to either one
Open to doing work myself (maintenance, or supercharging, etc) if needed or fun

In terms of circumstances:
Roads around here are in rough condition, a couple decent roads with turns but generally straight
Dealerships can be far (3 hours for most Germans; 10 for GTR, 12 for Italians)

I've considered pretty much all the options out there and I have somewhat settled on the M4 because I've always been a BMW guy, and I like the idea of European Delivery. However, I have read several times on this forum that people would look elsewhere if they already had a DD, and/or if they were looking to keep the car long-term.

WWYD?
You have so many options, but if you are considering an m4, i will tell you i love mine now and for longer (i purchased, did not lease). You can put winter tires if need to. Go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, to me, young/no kids/have reliable transpo/have $75k USD budget then it has GOT to be a 2 seats pure sports car for sure

You should be looking into used viper, Z06, GT3 etc. What are you doing getting an M3/M4 class of car at this stage in the game?

My opinion, M3/M4 is what you get when you need to compromise due to needing a back seat or something like that

Loved my F80 but wanted more sport in my life so I sold it after 2 yr
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, to me, young/no kids/have reliable transpo/have $75k USD budget then it has GOT to be a 2 seats pure sports car for sure

You should be looking into used viper, Z06, GT3 etc. What are you doing getting an M3/M4 class of car at this stage in the game?

My opinion, M3/M4 is what you get when you need to compromise due to needing a back seat or something like that

Loved my F80 but wanted more sport in my life so I sold it after 2 yr
I love the F8x cars but I agree I would experience an impractical sports car before life responsibilities require a more practical "compromise" car. Even if performance is similar the driving dynamics is different for a car built from the ground up as a sports car
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I will third that, if you have other transportation, why not do a more hardcore sportscar. At 75k, that could be 911 territory, Caymen for sure, even the latest Cockster is a great car.

But then again, you are saying there aren't many turns around you so maybe an overpowered car that goes straight well is in order?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

If you already have a daily driver, then skip the M car and get a two door weekend/nice weather sports car. 911, Cayman GT4, GTR, F-type, Aston Martin, Viper, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Andy348
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Jeep SRT

Figured that would be the general consensus! I first considered the M4 because I really liked the E92 M3... I was considering buying one, stripping it and supercharging it. The problem was that it would be the same price as a new M4 which seemed to be in a different league and therefore the natural choice.

In terms of others:

Viper - strongly considered, but I've read that most Gen 5's engines go boom because of an oiling problem.. just what I've found on the forums.
911 - never fell in love with anything except the GT3, but that's outside of the price range.. I'll do some more research though, good suggestion.
Cayman GT4 - great idea, didn't consider it - over to Rennlist I go
GTR - 10 hour commute to a certified dealer. No indy shops around.. otherwise this would be a no-brainer.
Aston - too far from the dealer, unless I can DIY.. gonna research that.
F-Type - never fell in love with it, dunno why.

Sticking with American would be great mostly because it'd be relatively under the radar and easy serviceable. Considered the Hellcat Challenger 6 speed (potential). Never liked the 'Vette/Z06 but I'll look into them.

Good suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
911 - never fell in love with anything except the GT3, but that's outside of the price range.. I'll do some more research though, good suggestion.

Never liked the 'Vette/Z06 but I'll look into them.
Agreed completely with "GT or bust" on the 911 but with $75k budget, you should make an exception and get a 996 TT or 997.1TT or get a pre modded C6Z06 or C6ZR1 for a lot less money.

You could get modded C6Z06 for like $35k-40k all day long when I looked last year, and its tough beat ~3000lb/ ~600whp, plus the amount of tire you can find under the fenders.

On the other hand, if you are considering an Aston, maybe we prioritize different things. Those seem to be pretty slow for the $ they go for
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Porsche Boxster/Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #10
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Figured that would be the general consensus! I first considered the M4 because I really liked the E92 M3... I was considering buying one, stripping it and supercharging it. The problem was that it would be the same price as a new M4 which seemed to be in a different league and therefore the natural choice.

In terms of others:

Viper - strongly considered, but I've read that most Gen 5's engines go boom because of an oiling problem.. just what I've found on the forums.
GTR - 10 hour commute to a certified dealer. No indy shops around.. otherwise this would be a no-brainer.

Sticking with American would be great mostly because it'd be relatively under the radar and easy serviceable. Considered the Hellcat Challenger 6 speed (potential). Never liked the 'Vette/Z06 but I'll look into them.

Good suggestions!
If not used, none of these are in your price range in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:

In terms of others:

Good suggestions!
In terms of performance and luxury new m4 beats e92 all day long, but in terms of character and sound its all E92- if I track often i'd get M4.

Outside of those two i'd get a new z06 or grandsport- check them out they don't have the old man middle life crisis look at all. They will also outperform every other car on that list and have a good ride quality while doing it but the interior is not close to the luxury brands.
Gt350 is great aswell.

Last edited by Towerworld; 05-08-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If nothing stands out to you, hang on to your cash until something does, particularly if you really plan on hanging onto it for 10 years and service will be a PITA.