R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #45
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I got an S3 after having an f80 in manual. my commute was getting cut down so I couldn't justify the cost of the M3 (and just wanted something new as I'm a car buying addict). the s3 is about 50% as fun on track and about 75% on the street. a manual in the golf R would help but I admit the image of a car is part of it to me, too. I hate the golf r wheels and my wife hates the VW hatch look. the S3 has nice wheels and nicer interior but less fun bc no manual.

a better set of tires may improve the fun a bit, the stock contis are not sporty at all and I destroyed one in a single day at thunderhill. with a tune it launches hard and my boys (4 and 2) love launch mode.

last big complaint is that I feel like I sit too high which is a little subjective and maybe the Golf R is better in that respect.

if the S3 had a manual, I could sit lower, and was RWD it'd be nearly as fun. of course in the rain and drinking a coffee I appreciate the AWD and auto trans... so it's not a total loss. I did have to get a RWD sports car to fill the void in my heart for weekend and track duty (718S then camaro SS 1LE when I was disappointed by the Porsche)

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #46
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

I have a M4 and a mk7 GTI and love them both! GTI leases real cheap, can't go wrong.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #47
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I got an S3 after having an f80 in manual. my commute was getting cut down so I couldn't justify the cost of the M3 (and just wanted something new as I'm a car buying addict). the s3 is about 50% as fun on track and about 75% on the street. a manual in the golf R would help but I admit the image of a car is part of it to me, too. I hate the golf r wheels and my wife hates the VW hatch look. the S3 has nice wheels and nicer interior but less fun bc no manual.

a better set of tires may improve the fun a bit, the stock contis are not sporty at all and I destroyed one in a single day at thunderhill. with a tune it launches hard and my boys (4 and 2) love launch mode.

last big complaint is that I feel like I sit too high which is a little subjective and maybe the Golf R is better in that respect.

if the S3 had a manual, I could sit lower, and was RWD it'd be nearly as fun. of course in the rain and drinking a coffee I appreciate the AWD and auto trans... so it's not a total loss. I did have to get a RWD sports car to fill the void in my heart for weekend and track duty (718S then camaro SS 1LE when I was disappointed by the Porsche)
Traded my 6MT F80 for an S3, what a mistake that was. After 11 months and 5500 miles I got rid of it for a Hellcat. I owned our second DCT F80 alongside my S3, driving the S3 was never an event....BORING. We only drove it in foul weather.

That car did everything well, but had ZERO emotion, character or fun factor. Like I said, good car, decently quick from a dig(with MAJOR DSG lgggg).

If anyone here is thinking of downgrading to the S3/Golf R, you will regret it. Unless you are trying to save money and want something practical, by all means. You can tell yourself that with a tune and exhaust it'll smoke the F80 from a dig.... who cares though. After almost one year of ownership, the car never had one thumbs up, wave, or race from a fellow enthusiast. It was Sepang Blue with black optic pkg.

Sterile and boring are the best words to describe it. Even though the STI or Focus RS are more juvenile, they will put a bigger smile on your face.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 4
Jeffe199.50
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
theriz405.50
      05-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #48
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I drive manuals only. Owned BMWs before. Golf R was everything on paper. I drove one side to side with GTI and no, there is nothing similar. R is better. AWD is one of the main things. And it's plenty fast. Manual gearbox, clutch, etc all was just right. At the end I got M3. For me it was about bad VW dealer reputation, cheaper interior feel, not as sharp looking from outside. And I prefer RWD.

I just didn't feel like I'm going to keep it. But it's a great car IMO

P.S. My base M3 is $20k more expensive. Of course it is better car! It's not about what is better, it's about deciding if it worth it to you
Appreciate 1
jvit27110.00
      05-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #49
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
Traded my 6MT F80 for an S3, what a mistake that was. After 11 months and 5500 miles I got rid of it for a Hellcat. I owned our second DCT F80 alongside my S3, driving the S3 was never an event....BORING. We only drove it in foul weather.

That car did everything well, but had ZERO emotion, character or fun factor. Like I said, good car, decently quick from a dig(with MAJOR DSG lgggg).

If anyone here is thinking of downgrading to the S3/Golf R, you will regret it. Unless you are trying to save money and want something practical, by all means. You can tell yourself that with a tune and exhaust it'll smoke the F80 from a dig.... who cares though. After almost one year of ownership, the car never had one thumbs up, wave, or race from a fellow enthusiast. It was Sepang Blue with black optic pkg.

Sterile and boring are the best words to describe it. Even though the STI or Focus RS are more juvenile, they will put a bigger smile on your face.

guys,
need a little feedback here NOT from the standpoint of "downgrade" etc, but from a practical matter:

My F80 lease is up next year, and due to changes in my personal life (big "D" etc), i need to cut down on some expenses, as well as not having that many track day opportunities anymore SO, i'm really thinking right now about the following as my next lease:
  • 2018 Audi S3 (plus APR chip)
  • 2018 Golf R (plus APR Chip)
  • 2018 M2 (ED, to save a little $)

I'm trying to keep prices as low as I can since i'll likely have to save up for a house next year once all this drama is done, so thus the reason for looking at these as options.

I was leaning towards the S3 but now you guys have be re-thinking this. The car looks pretty good, has a good peppy feel to it when i drove it, and has 4 doors for my kids (early teenagers). The Golf R is cheaper but i'm not a big fan of the looks and stigma of the ricer boy look, even though the engine is the same.

The M2 is another option which I really like, but it's a coupe so that will be harder to carry the boys around, and pricewise it's more. However, looks like the lease rates on the S3 are not as attractive as the M2, so not sure...

ANYWAYS, besides the fact that the S3 is clearly not our F8X M's, and obviously more "boring", are there any other issues as a daily driver? reliability? etc?

any additional info or sharing of your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #50
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
Quote:

Quote:

guys,
need a little feedback here NOT from the standpoint of "downgrade" etc, but from a practical matter:

My F80 lease is up next year, and due to changes in my personal life (big "D" etc), i need to cut down on some expenses, as well as not having that many track day opportunities anymore SO, i'm really thinking right now about the following as my next lease:

I'm trying to keep prices as low as I can since i'll likely have to save up for a house next year once all this drama is done, so thus the reason for looking at these as options.

I was leaning towards the S3 but now you guys have be re-thinking this. The car looks pretty good, has a good peppy feel to it when i drove it, and has 4 doors for my kids (early teenagers). The Golf R is cheaper but i'm not a big fan of the looks and stigma of the ricer boy look, even though the engine is the same.

The M2 is another option which I really like, but it's a coupe so that will be harder to carry the boys around, and pricewise it's more. However, looks like the lease rates on the S3 are not as attractive as the M2, so not sure...

ANYWAYS, besides the fact that the S3 is clearly not our F8X M's, and obviously more "boring", are there any other issues as a daily driver? reliability? etc?

any additional info or sharing of your experiences would be greatly appreciated.
seating position isn't as good. I just test drove an S4 and thought it felt much better in a sporty sense, has a way nicer interior, plenty space for your boys, more power and better delivery than the S3, better seating position.

no reliability issues with the S3 with 4500mi on the clock including an oil change and a track day (needed a new tire after a day).

get a base model S4. even with a couple options it'll land in mid 50s, same as an m2. loaded you'll be around 60k and have some fancy tech and still probably less than an M2 (which are still being marked up!).

S4 has a way more updated, special and nicer interior (carbon fiber trim and partial Alcantara seats) than the 340i in my opinion which is looking pretty tired to me. go drive one!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #51
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
guys,

M2'S lease horribly (residuals are so low) and you're telling me the S3 is even worse?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #52
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
Quote:

Quote:

guys,

Why not a RS3 with an APR tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #53
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

It is not a Golf R, but I love my MK7 GTI. I definitely don't drive it as much since getting my M3, however. It serves the role in the family I guess most people would fill with a small SUV. I will say though that for me personally, whenever I have tried to save money or be more practical when deciding between two things it has always cost me more in the long run as I eventually get the (more expensive) one I originally wanted anyway.
Appreciate 3
Yes2m3cs155.00
Jeffe199.50
      05-10-2017, 02:04 AM   #54
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC2
It is not a Golf R, but I love my MK7 GTI. I definitely don't drive it as much since getting my M3, however. It serves the role in the family I guess most people would fill with a small SUV. I will say though that for me personally, whenever I have tried to save money or be more practical when deciding between two things it has always cost me more in the long run as I eventually get the (more expensive) one I originally wanted anyway.
me too! tried to save a couple hundred bucks on my monthly payment and ended up dropping several grand and increasing my monthly payment by $700 to have 2 cars filling the void of the M3. oops.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #55
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

A little update. The local dealer received a Golf R in manual and they let me test drive it. I just test drove a Mk7 GTI a week ago so pretty fresh in my memory. Aside from the different (fake) engine sound and cosmetic differences I couldn't really appreciate the $15k premium over the GTI. I think the problem with the Golf R is that the GTI is already such a complete package and bargain. Maybe I could tell the difference on a track or the non-existent inclement weather we get here or whatever but personally if I was thinking of saving money on a M3 by getting a Golf R, I'd just jump down to the GTI and invest the cash. I think my mind is made up on going for the M3 though. Every time I see one on the road I just pine for one...
Appreciate 1
Yes2m3cs155.00
      05-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #56
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I don't know. I drove GTI and R side by side and difference were obvious. Extra power with AWD is a key. Plus R is not Mexican for what it worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #57
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

I went from a 2015 F80 to Golf R back to a F80(comp).
I had a REALLY early 2015 (June 2014) and when the Comp pack was announced i decided i wanted one... During the wait, I got an offer on my 2015 M3 that i couldn't turn down so i sold it and got a Golf R to drive for the next 10 months or so.

Its a great car, but a little stale like others have said.. does everything so well.. and is a nice step up from a RS, STi etc in terms of interior quality.
Just not EXCITING like a 400+ hp RWD M3 or as "on edge" as a ST.

It feels a lot slower than the M3 but yes, you can tune it... Just remember, it will void your warranty (even if you flash it back, they can tell... or so ive heard).

I really did enjoy it tho. Small and it maneuvers well. Good ergonomics and its not SLOW, just not f80 fast.

I would get one again if i needed to lower my payments etc. Nothing else id get for sub 40k(new).
I dont remember the exact details, but i paid something like 480$ on a lease with about 1200 down.

If it says anything, im currently wanting to lower my total car cost (i have a Exige / F80 now) and trading in my M3 on a Golf is on the table.

Feel free to ask away...
      05-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #58
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

I think you're about right - 80% of the fun for 50% of the cost. I've had my F80 only a month. And it's awesome. But I already know not to calculate the additional cost of it vs my 340i xDrive or my Subie before that, lest I be struck blind by the horrible financial decision I made.

The F80 makes NO financial sense on any level whatsoever. Even the Golf R is a stretch for a DD, if 95% of your miles are commuting behind other cars.

On the other hand, what's that extra 20% of fun worth to you? Like I said, only had my M3 for a month, and I'm getting close to the point where you can have it when you can pry the key out of my cold dead fingers.

Asking any question on this forum that involves some kind of calculus around value is always trouble. There are always those that seem to imply a question of cost as an admission that the OP can't afford the car, rather than recognizing that for any of us, there is always a value question, it's just a matter of how we individually weight the inputs to that equation.

I was in the same boat - wanted a 6MT fun car for commuting. Drove just about everything, and finally decided to splurge for my dream car before they stopped making it in a manual. But absolutely aware that it's forfeiting very tangible dollars for an intangible thing like fun!

Good luck NOT buying an M3 though after a test drive! My test drive haunted me for a full year and I finally caved and upgraded from the 340, which was almost the perfect commuter car (for my value equation).
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #59
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Not going to touch on R vs M3, as others already have.

I will just say I think the R is better as DSG. And it is a lot of fun to drive. I daily a '16 GTI and love it.
VW's DSG is vastly better than DCT. This coming from someone who's owned both.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #60
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgeorge View Post
VW's DSG is vastly better than DCT. This coming from someone who's owned both.
Ive had both and i wouldnt say that. DSG is smoother, but DCT shifts much quicker to me.
      05-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #61
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

When the new 2018 Golf R comes out it should be very nice. If you do more city driving then the Golf R should be better but if you do more highway driving I would stick with the M3. Fuel economy,performance and city driving is the Golf R. Performance and highway is the M3
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #62
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I really enjoyed driving my buddies new Golf R. The only problem I had was that the clutch is high and the throws are long. Fun little car though and I liked the fit and finish.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #63
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

i think I'm pretty set on going with a 2018 S3 for my DD.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #64
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Go with the Golf R as you don't seem to be financially established or stable to be comfortably affording the M. Remember it is all about the fun driving it and not worrying about other things.

If I am wrong, by all means get the M and never looked back
This is the most sensible advice.

BTW, I owned an R32 for 5 years and still miss it today. There is something soulful in the VW in the snow, rain and in the twisties. The Golf R builds on that a lot. So you could have a great experience with that car. An M car comes with a hefty M price.

Maintaining an M car past warranty and keeping the new feel is about 5 k per year.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #65
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Golf R lease sucks. If you were debating on getting a Golf R just go for the S3 at a much better deal. VW thinks the Golf R is godly or something. This sounds more like a down-grade..... but you can always go with a GTI at a much cheaper lease cost around $300 and if you're into modifying the car...I have the turbo installed on mine from the Golf-R/S3 and I'm making nearly 400whp on water-meth, 26 psi of boost, and E30 blend. I'm just snooping around the BMW forums as I'm highly interested in purchasing a F80 M3 or something in that range sometime this year.
Appreciate 1
z335is356.00
      05-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #66
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS38_GTi View Post
Golf R lease sucks. If you were debating on getting a Golf R just go for the S3 at a much better deal. VW thinks the Golf R is godly or something. This sounds more like a down-grade..... but you can always go with a GTI at a much cheaper lease cost around $300 and if you're into modifying the car...I have the turbo installed on mine from the Golf-R/S3 and I'm making nearly 400whp on water-meth, 26 psi of boost, and E30 blend. I'm just snooping around the BMW forums as I'm highly interested in purchasing a F80 M3 or something in that range sometime this year.
True, Golf R lease terms suck. You are better off purchasing.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0