Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

View Poll Results: Have you taken your in-warranty car for service to an independent?
Yes 4 25.00%
No 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

03-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Input requested - do you like your dealer

Hi all, I am trying to do some market research. I'm trying to understand what enthusiasts value and look for when having their car serviced or "upgraded" when they bring it in for service. If you'd be so kind to share your thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Do you bring your car in for service to your local BMW dealership? Why? (if it's because its under warranty, please say so, otherwise, please explain)

Do you find that you have a pleasant service experience or are there always some sort of issues (they scratch the car, wash it when you ask not to, etc.)

Have you brought your car into an independent BMW shop for service and did you have a good experience? If so, what did you like?

Lastly, if you knew your car was going to be worked on correctly, serviced correctly, and were guaranteed to not have an issue (ie no finger print smudges on the door, following no car washing instructions, etc.) would you pay more than the dealership rates?
      03-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Thanks to those that have responded to the poll. If you have buy two min, any feedback on the questions listed would also be appreciated!
      03-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

I'm dreading bringing it for its second oil change, the free yearly service regardless of mileage. Last year, they smashed it into a lift and attempted some bootleg repair. I ended up with a new front bumper. And the damage happened on a return visit after they put the wrong diff fluid in on the break in service.

There's usually not a pleasant experience. My last dealer treated me like an idiot with the tire plan, I couldn't possibly own a BMW and be a gear head and actually know how to check air pressures when a rim was cracked. I had to bring it to them to check, they didn't believe my readings that it was losing air. And this went on for months before they finally gave me a new wheel and tire. They played games and told me someone was vandalizing my garage kept car. Unreal.

I've used an independent shop for an alignment and coding on my other car and it was fine. I used an independent shop for the clear bra, and it was fine. 0 miles put on the car, got it back in pristine condition. It seems enthusiast shops treat your stuff better than the dealer.

Idk if I'd pay more than the dealer, they're pretty steep as it is. I'd continue to do most stuff myself as I usually do.

Good luck with your research. Maybe you can convince these mofos at dealers to actually take care of your stuff. It shouldn't matter if you have a 95 318 or an i8. They just don't care.
      03-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Hi all, I am trying to do some market research. I'm trying to understand what enthusiasts value and look for when having their car serviced or "upgraded" when they bring it in for service. If you'd be so kind to share your thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Do you bring your car in for service to your local BMW dealership? Why? (if it's because its under warranty, please say so, otherwise, please explain)
My M3 has been bullet proof so far, knock on wood. I still get free wiper refills every year from the dealer.

On the other hand, my old i3-REX was a near-lemon, but no independent shop around here was interested in chancing electrocution to work on it. The dealers didn't know how to debug it either, so kept re-installing the software. I finally fixed it for good by terminating the lease early. My condolences and good luck to the next owner!

Answers to all other questions are just common sense.

Since BMW forces us all to pre-pay for dealer-only in-warranty services at the time of purchase, that's where everyone goes first for everything that's covered under warranty/service plan.

Out of warranty, most people find independents, the best of whom care more and charge less. For obvious reasons.

I'm sure a few go to corner grease monkey shops as well, and then your chance of positive outcome starts to decrease.

And then there are those who stop performing all maintenance, and drive the cars into the ground.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 03-18-2017 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I do. He said what he can and cannot do. Delivered on time. Did not push me into buying anything. I got the deal on my terms. On top of that I requested him to set me up with performance center delivery when the car was about to get on the boat and he did. He would be the first dealer I go to for my next car assuming he can give me a deal I will be looking for at the time.
P.s. This guy had mixed reviews on the internet but my experience was absolutely what a reasonable buyer would expect hence my feedback.
      03-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I do. He said what he can and cannot do. Delivered on time. Did not push me into buying anything. I got the deal on my terms. On top of that I requested him to set me up with performance center delivery when the car was about to get on the boat and he did. He would be the first dealer I go to for my next car assuming he can give me a deal I will be looking for at the time.
P.s. This guy had mixed reviews on the internet but my experience was absolutely what a reasonable buyer would expect hence my feedback.
I think the OP is asking about "service" side of the dealer, not "new car purchase" experience.

Those are two separate an independent businesses, with separate P&L, head count, and considerations. Having a good experience with one does not necessarily translate into the other.

I buy all my new BMWs from one dealership, and frequently get them service at another (closer to work, better service success rate, etc).

a
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:43 AM   #7
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Yes, I am purely interested in feedback related to Service.

I'm curious what drives people to seek out independent shops, what they like about them, what they don't. Anything that is missing from either experiences?