EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #23
g2g8969
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Get the vs 2
Very happy! Auto as default, open as active. I set it up to the homelink in 30 secs..really no need for exhaust system. Imo. For less than $200, can't be beat
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #24
CG Precision
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2g8969 View Post
Get the vs 2
Very happy! Auto as default, open as active. I set it up to the homelink in 30 secs..really no need for exhaust system. Imo. For less than $200, can't be beat
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #25
robertoandregarcia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 MG/SS

I have the Macht Schnell and love it. It is very easy to install (15-20 minutes), easy to operate, and love the extra features, especially disabling active sound. You can open and close flaps while you're driving with just a tap of a button, which is nice.
2011 135i M-Sport - SOLD
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #26
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

I guess the main question is...one is 179 (CG), one is 495 (MS), another is 279 (BMS)...what do you get/not get for the difference...

as stated before there are some different controls per say...but if all you want to do is open and close your valves....how can you say not to get the best priced of all 3...
      11-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #27
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

I am using a Valentine One with the Savvy OBD II accessory. Sounds like the only VSC-2 can co-exist with the Savvy module because MS and BMS both occupy the OBD II port. Am I correct?

Thanks.
      11-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
I am using a Valentine One with the Savvy OBD II accessory. Sounds like the only VSC-2 can co-exist with the Savvy module because MS and BMS both occupy the OBD II port. Am I correct?

Thanks.
The BMS CanFlap Module does occupy the OBD diagnostic port.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #29
BRM3MIA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 - Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I have both the BMS and the MS. They are both good. Features are similar. I like the BMS because it runs off the port. Sort of fool proof/ easily interchangeable between vehicles.
Since you have both, can you let me know if you feel any difference in between them? I am towards the BMS as it is an easy install and also cheaper than the MS. But if the MS is better I would not mind spending a little more. Does MS have more features and what would be those added features? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #30
Maineiac
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Another vote for CG's VSC-2. Solid instructions, quality parts, and great price. My default is closed to minimize the roar during cold start. Hit the programmed homelink button and "boom"!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #31
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M4

i bought the BMS module 2 weeks ago. Works a treat and takes 1 second to install.....Also easy to switch of ASD......

One thing i will say is that once you switch off ASD it makes car sound much better but no way on earth does the stock system sound good. With flaps open its louder but honestly louder horrible sound doesn't work for me.. i drive round with ASD and valves closed. Cant wait for my akra install next week!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #32
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

If you plan to tune the car, can't go wrong with JB4. Has built in valve controllers. I love it.

Waiting on valve controller with the JB4 app.
      03-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #33
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post
i bought the BMS module 2 weeks ago. Works a treat and takes 1 second to install.....Also easy to switch of ASD......

One thing i will say is that once you switch off ASD it makes car sound much better but no way on earth does the stock system sound good. With flaps open its louder but honestly louder horrible sound doesn't work for me.. i drive round with ASD and valves closed. Cant wait for my akra install next week!
Really? I'm surprised by your reaction. I thought the car sounded super weird with ASD enabled (trying to be deep like a V8 but failing miserably) but sounds great with the valves open and ASD disabled. Do aftermarket exhausts really change the sound that much? They all sound similar based on the videos I've seen, it's still a 6-cylinder after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #34
BRM3MIA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post

Thanks for the info, I will go for the BMS as I also think will be easy to install and carry with me to the Welt and remove before shipping back the car. Since I order the Comp Pack it may sound better, but I will have MPE installed once it arrives in the USA so I guess it should sound great afterwards. I will turn ASD off and may have it working only on flaps open...but not sure yet, may keep it off always.

Last edited by BRM3MIA; 03-10-2016 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #35
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsid05 View Post
Really? I'm surprised by your reaction. I thought the car sounded super weird with ASD enabled (trying to be deep like a V8 but failing miserably) but sounds great with the valves open and ASD disabled. Do aftermarket exhausts really change the sound that much? They all sound similar based on the videos I've seen, it's still a 6-cylinder after all.
There is no right or wrong answer here as its all down to preference. Once I changed the exhaust on my E92 it materially changed the driving easier for me as it improved the all ready good sound to even better. For me it's not 100% about volume, it's a mix of more volumes but much more exotic tone. Flaps open on the f80 series makes it louder yes but in my opinion it's not a nice sound. Next week I'm having the full Akra installed. Never heard it in person so here's hoping! Will let you know ho I get on!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #36
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM3MIA View Post
Thanks for the info, I will go for the BMS as I also think will be easy to install and carry with me to the Welt and remove before shipping back the car. Since I order the Comp Pack it may sound better, but I will have MPE installed once it arrives in the USA so I guess it should sound great afterwards. I will turn ASD off and may have it working only on flaps open...but not sure yet, may keep it off always.
Food choices. In he end it was the easy install that made it a no brainer...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #37
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM3MIA View Post
Since you have both, can you let me know if you feel any difference in between them? I am towards the BMS as it is an easy install and also cheaper than the MS. But if the MS is better I would not mind spending a little more. Does MS have more features and what would be those added features? Thanks
I like'd the MS because it has the windows GUI that will allow you to make changes (LEDs/Activesound;etc) and was easy to program in that sense. I did not like the wiring harness that it came with. I will wrench on my car and ahve no prob getting dirty but will not do simple electrical work, lol.

I like the BMS because its fool proof but every time you want to make a change you have to (bookmark) their user guide and and follow their directions because they correspond with the tach needle movement. The hardware seems kind of prehistoric (serial cable) but TBH it works and is easier to install and remove.

Both are good choices. The BMS is a bargain - I would get it again because it can be reversed almost instantly w/o detection. Sorry for the late response.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #38
BRM3MIA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info, I already got the BMS as I am also not good with the electrical work and a plug and play feature suits me better. I do wish the BMS had the windows/mirrors closing/folding but not a big issue also, the main reason is for the flaps and active sound enable/disable. Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I like'd the MS because it has the windows GUI that will allow you to make changes (LEDs/Activesound;etc) and was easy to program in that sense. I did not like the wiring harness that it came with. I will wrench on my car and ahve no prob getting dirty but will not do simple electrical work, lol.

I like the BMS because its fool proof but every time you want to make a change you have to (bookmark) their user guide and and follow their directions because they correspond with the tach needle movement. The hardware seems kind of prehistoric (serial cable) but TBH it works and is easier to install and remove.

Both are good choices. The BMS is a bargain - I would get it again because it can be reversed almost instantly w/o detection. Sorry for the late response.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #39
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
not sure how often you plan on really opening and closing the valves...if you plan on keeping them just open...

http://jrc-designs.com/products/
Do you know if this would work for an F15? Im just intnerested in keeping the flaps open all the time
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #40
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I ultimately chose the BMS CanFlap. It was between that and the CG, honestly the MS seemed just overprice. I'm sure to some it was worth it, but I couldn't justify it. I actually really like the CG in terms of not occupying the OBD-II. But then I knew my only exhaust mod would be downpipe, so the CEL delete alone sold it for me. Then having quick option of install/uninstall, ASD control and capability of turning gas gauge into boost gauge sold me. I don't think you will go wrong either way!

JD
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #41
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDE92M3
I ultimately chose the BMS CanFlap. It was between that and the CG, honestly the MS seemed just overprice. I'm sure to some it was worth it, but I couldn't justify it. I actually really like the CG in terms of not occupying the OBD-II. But then I knew my only exhaust mod would be downpipe, so the CEL delete alone sold it for me. Then having quick option of install/uninstall, ASD control and capability of turning gas gauge into boost gauge sold me. I don't think you will go wrong either way!

JD
Do you have MPE? Can you send me or post video of your f15 with valves open?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:52 AM   #42
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27 View Post
Do you have MPE? Can you send me or post video of your f15 with valves open?
No MPE, just doing downpipes. Never tested the BMS CanFlap on F15.

JD
Appreciate 0