Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

DINANTRONICS Stage 1 & 2 for Competition Package Models

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Name:  F8xCPDPTHeaderSmall.jpg
Views: 15510
Size:  218.4 KB

Dinan F8x M3/M4 Stage 1 & 2 DINANTRONICS

BMW has seen fit to extend its competition package beyond the M series V8's and into their popular M3 and M4 variants. Along with some improved suspension and unique 20" wheels the competition package for the M3/M4 boasts a more powerful base tune that yields an additional 19 HP over the standard factory rating. An impressive and stylish car can be obtained for a very affordable price hence the competition packages abundant popularity in the 2017 models!

In order to take advantage of this increased baseline and the modified settings from 5000 RPM and beyond, Dinan engineers have tweaked the already popular stage 1 tune for the non-CP models for use with the competition package variant. In doing so, we have ensured the modified tuning on the new application is as seamless as one can expect from any other Dinan tune. At the same time we wanted to capitalize on the additional base power and be sure that was not lost in tuning with the same canned, non-CP tune.

The stage 2 DINANTRONICS system for the F8x Competition Package maximizes flow and power when used in conjunction with the intake. Even without the intake there is a small bump in power from an additional pound of boost that is applied. However, to get the most out of the tuning the intake should be considered so optimized air fuel ratios are maintained and you get the added benefit of some extra throttle response.

Part Number: D440-1644C-ST1 / ST2
Applications: 2015+ F80 M3 Sedan, 2015+ F82 M4 Coupe, 2015+ F83 M4 Convertible
Specifications:
BMW Factory Ratings: 444 HP, 406 lb-ft torque (507 HP, 463 lb-ft Measured)
With Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Tuner: 532 HP, 504 lb-ft torque
With Stage 2 DINANTRONICS Tuner, Exhaust and Cold Air Intake: 543 HP, 505 lb-ft torque
Release Date: Today, August 26th, 2016.

Description: The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is a highly engineered and sophisticated piece of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance, without negating or voiding your new car warranty coverage and without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems. It is also the only tuning device emissions legal in all fifty states. The ultimate objective of developing this piece of technology was to provide the ability to control every signal entering and exiting the BMW factory Engine Control Unit. These items are unique to Dinan and together they embody the apex of performance engineering in a powerful, reliable, and warrantied package.

Name:  F8x_M4_M4_CP_ST1_WEB800.jpg
Views: 14224
Size:  241.3 KB
Name:  F8x_M4_M4_CP_ST2_WEB800.jpg
Views: 13798
Size:  245.0 KB
Appreciate 5
bmwm3car208.50
DD88191.00
1M Tex240.00
Jono2112156.00
domino_z1239.50
      08-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Schwayz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F80 ZCP

Red face Stage 2 CP

Just ordered my Dinan Stage 2 for CP. I am running it with no CAI. Going to dyno with baseline. I will post before and afters!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

@Dinan
Have you considered at all finally doing an actual tune instead of the piggyback.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1877.00
      08-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwayz
Just ordered my Dinan Stage 2 for CP. I am running it with no CAI. Going to dyno with baseline. I will post before and afters!
please keep us posted with your results. Iam on the fence for stage 2 for my CP M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
@Dinan
Have you considered at all finally doing an actual tune instead of the piggyback.
Would require opening/drilling into the ECU which would then make Dinan liable for the entire car warranty. With our matching warranty It's a non-starter for our business model. Not to mention it would sour the relationships with dealerships thereby crippling a big part of our distribution.
Appreciate 3
Bosozoku693.50
morf1342.50
      08-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
please keep us posted with your results. Iam on the fence for stage 2 for my CP M3.
Just so you/everyone is aware stage 3 for the CP and non-CP cars will require an aftercooler but is scheduled to release early October assuming production/vendor dates are met. Stage 3/aftercooler is looking to be about a consistent 20HP/TRQ bump over stage 2 across the entire rev range. Not to mention heat soak is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. The stage 4 and big turbo shouldn't be far behind that although supply will probably be an issue as cores will be in play.
Appreciate 4
N54MPower283.50
BMW953.00
Bosozoku693.50
      08-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M4 ZCP SO/SO

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
hova00
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Just so you/everyone is aware stage 3 for the CP and non-CP cars will require an aftercooler but is scheduled to release early October assuming production/vendor dates are met. Stage 3/aftercooler is looking to be about a consistent 20HP/TRQ bump over stage 2 across the entire rev range. Not to mention heat soak is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. The stage 4 and big turbo shouldn't be far behind that although supply will probably be an issue as cores will be in play.
Iam looking to back to the drag strip with your stage 2 software on my CP M3 so I can compare trap speeds which show HP in a real world environment.

My CP M3 just trapped 120 vs a stage 1 VF tuned CP M4 that trapped 123.5

If your product would net me even that much improvement I'd book my appt. with my Dinan dealer ASAP.

Btw it's great to see what's in the pipeline for this platform from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Sweet!

How are you guys making more power with the CP cars versus standard when all the hardware is identical?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Sweet!

How are you guys making more power with the CP cars versus standard when all the hardware is identical?
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Dinan, is there no business case to drop the conservative mentality and 'matching warranty is our major value proposition' approach? Or even offer two variants of your tuning solutions?

You guys have a slick piggyback harness, you know what you're doing, so why not tune the shit out of this platform? You can't deny how much power you're leaving on the table.

I'd take your product offerings much more seriously (on the tuning side), matching warranty be damned, if you guys exploited the true potential of this platform.

You guys have to be tired of hearing the 'over priced', 'weak gains for the money' arguments. I'd want to punch throats constantly seeing those comments daily. Why not satisfy both sides? You already have the hardware. It's all in the calibrations now. A 'race only' offering with no matching factory warranty, and the vanilla offerings offering the modest HP bumps with matching warranty.
Appreciate 2
hdubf80143.50
BimmerFix1384.50
      08-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

They still have rich people that want Dinan badges on their car but sadly Dinan badges aren't what hey used to be
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #13
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Dinan, is there no business case to drop the conservative mentality and 'matching warranty is our major value proposition' approach? Or even offer two variants of your tuning solutions?

You guys have a slick piggyback harness, you know what you're doing, so why not tune the shit out of this platform? You can't deny how much power you're leaving on the table.

I'd take your product offerings much more seriously (on the tuning side), matching warranty be damned, if you guys exploited the true potential of this platform.

You guys have to be tired of hearing the 'over priced', 'weak gains for the money' arguments. I'd want to punch throats constantly seeing those comments daily. Why not satisfy both sides? You already have the hardware. It's all in the calibrations now. A 'race only' offering with no matching factory warranty, and the vanilla offerings offering the modest HP bumps with matching warranty.
I would love to see this too.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
hova00
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Iam looking to back to the drag strip with your stage 2 software on my CP M3 so I can compare trap speeds which show HP in a real world environment.

My CP M3 just trapped 120 vs a stage 1 VF tuned CP M4 that trapped 123.5

If your product would net me even that much improvement I'd book my appt. with my Dinan dealer ASAP.

Btw it's great to see what's in the pipeline for this platform from Dinan.
Guess the Dinan tune won't give me enough HP and TQ to increase my trap speeds?

Do you have any relevant info from testing that Dinan performed V Box, drag strip, etc.

With the dyno graph on your site is that actual gains at the wheels being depicted over a stock CP M3?

Iam ready to book to buy this CP Stage 2 tune but don't want to buy it if the mph gains aren't there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Must have missed this thread earlier.

Quote:
Answered in the other thread but in case anyone was curious that is linked here. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

There's been a lot of talk about this throughout the years and it ebbs and wanes. I'm not going to go into all the arguments for either side or else I will basically be writing a thesis but it comes down to I don't foresee the main focus of the warranty going away. That is what makes Dinan unique and what everyone associates with when they hear the name. By bringing in products under the Dinan name with no warranty it creates marketplace/brand confusion. Personally I'm surprised we released SPORT under the Dinan name given this mentality but it was decided that the price point and the simplistic nature of the device was enough that consumers could put 2 and 2 together and not expect the same warranty (they were wrong). Not to mention, probably more importantly, we wanted a Dinan branded tuning solution to bring into the other marques easily enough and use the brand recognition a bit to get a foothold.

Besides warranty the other major element that is associated with Dinan is the original slogan "performance without sacrifice" which basically comes down to we want to make the car better without sacrificing some other element. When going for maximum power other arenas are sacrificed in the process. Whether that be reliability, or engine life, some lapses in drivability with some stuttering, or what have you. It just doesn't fit what the Dinan brand stands/is known for.

Could we produce some max tune that just goes after a glory run dyno number, sure. We have fun doing that from time to time but its not something I would expect from a Dinan branded product. If it ever does happen and put out to a retail consumer it would be under a completely different name. I wouldn't expect that anytime soon, if ever, though as we are far to engrossed into expansion into the other marques at this point.

Quote:
Guess the Dinan tune won't give me enough HP and TQ to increase my trap speeds?

Do you have any relevant info from testing that Dinan performed V Box, drag strip, etc.

With the dyno graph on your site is that actual gains at the wheels being depicted over a stock CP M3?

Iam ready to book to buy this CP Stage 2 tune but don't want to buy it if the mph gains aren't there.
I will save you a bit of time and say if you are looking solely for a drag racer don't get a Dinan tune. Our tunes are not built specifically for that type of driving. We have always been more in line with road racing and build our tunes with that same mentality since that is our background in racing. Drag racing and road racing are drastically different in power delivery and power curves.

You would be getting more power with the tune, so assuming the power is put to the ground you would increase the trap speeds. As noted we do not drag race or do any testing associated with that type of driving. One of the questions we get often are 0-60 times. 0-60 times are meaningless in our eyes as its more dependent on driver skill, traction (tires, temp, etc), and reaction time then on any real power metric. Car & Driver posts 0-60 numbers that practically no one will be able to duplicate since they sit there ragging on the car for hours trying to get the best time and will do things no real owner of the car will do to get those times (side step the clutch as an example). We can post a number but it just wouldn't mean anything is all. What we do do is dyno testing (engine and chassis) and rely on those metrics quite heavily since they can be accurately repeated under same conditions, independent of a driver. More importantly however is we road tune the car. The dyno gets you part of the way there but the road tuning is where the real tuning takes place as nothing can simulate real world conditions like the real world.

The graphs on the site are listed in crank horsepower so a direct comparison to stock numbers can be made. But yes it is based on a stock M4 CP and the same M4 CP with the Dinan upgrades. You can apply whatever obligatory drivetrain loss to those numbers you would like (12-15%) and it will get you in the ball park of the wheel numbers. Not exactly perfect since drivetrain loss isn't a static percentage and varies per RPM, transmission, etc but for general purposes it works.
Appreciate 14
N54MPower283.50
Bosozoku693.50
swagon13518.00
domino_z1239.50
iatacs19458.50
Polo088161610.00
morf1342.50
mister2d155.50
_M4CHINE_324.00
Poochie9104.50
      08-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
hova00
Major
Rep

thanks for the info.

Iam not looking for a highest HP tune (drag tune)available but I do want real world results for the money spent. I guess with so much negativity towards the power that a Dinan tune produces I was skeptical of any significant gains but according to your statement I could expect 30+whp gains?

You mentioned Stage 3 will offer an additional 20HP/30 crank hp on top of stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info.

Iam not looking for a highest HP tune (drag tune)available but I do want real world results for the money spent. I guess with so much negativity towards the power that a Dinan tune produces I was skeptical of any significant gains but according to your statement I could expect 30+whp gains?

You mentioned Stage 3 will offer an additional 20HP/30 crank hp on top of stage 2?

Correct peak gain is ~30 at the wheels with the stage 2 CP tune. Pretty consistent ~25-45 BHP and ~30-50 BTQ gains across the power band.

The non-CP M4 with stage 3/aftercooler is on the dyno today but with the CP car with stage 3/aftercooler added to the mix its bumping those gains to ~25-65 BHP and ~35-80 BTQ.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Must have missed this thread earlier.

Answered in the other thread but in case anyone was curious that is linked here. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=60

There's been a lot of talk about this throughout the years and it ebbs and wanes. I'm not going to go into all the arguments for either side or else I will basically be writing a thesis but it comes down to I don't foresee the main focus of the warranty going away. That is what makes Dinan unique and what everyone associates with when they hear the name. By bringing in products under the Dinan name with no warranty it creates marketplace/brand confusion. Personally I'm surprised we released SPORT under the Dinan name given this mentality but it was decided that the price point and the simplistic nature of the device was enough that consumers could put 2 and 2 together and not expect the same warranty (they were wrong). Not to mention, probably more importantly, we wanted a Dinan branded tuning solution to bring into the other marques easily enough and use the brand recognition a bit to get a foothold.

Besides warranty the other major element that is associated with Dinan is the original slogan "performance without sacrifice" which basically comes down to we want to make the car better without sacrificing some other element. When going for maximum power other arenas are sacrificed in the process. Whether that be reliability, or engine life, some lapses in drivability with some stuttering, or what have you. It just doesn't fit what the Dinan brand stands/is known for.

Could we produce some max tune that just goes after a glory run dyno number, sure. We have fun doing that from time to time but its not something I would expect from a Dinan branded product. If it ever does happen and put out to a retail consumer it would be under a completely different name. I wouldn't expect that anytime soon, if ever, though as we are far to engrossed into expansion into the other marques at this point.

I will save you a bit of time and say if you are looking solely for a drag racer don't get a Dinan tune. Our tunes are not built specifically for that type of driving. We have always been more in line with road racing and build our tunes with that same mentality since that is our background in racing. Drag racing and road racing are drastically different in power delivery and power curves.

You would be getting more power with the tune, so assuming the power is put to the ground you would increase the trap speeds. As noted we do not drag race or do any testing associated with that type of driving. One of the questions we get often are 0-60 times. 0-60 times are meaningless in our eyes as its more dependent on driver skill, traction (tires, temp, etc), and reaction time then on any real power metric. Car & Driver posts 0-60 numbers that practically no one will be able to duplicate since they sit there ragging on the car for hours trying to get the best time and will do things no real owner of the car will do to get those times (side step the clutch as an example). We can post a number but it just wouldn't mean anything is all. What we do do is dyno testing (engine and chassis) and rely on those metrics quite heavily since they can be accurately repeated under same conditions, independent of a driver. More importantly however is we road tune the car. The dyno gets you part of the way there but the road tuning is where the real tuning takes place as nothing can simulate real world conditions like the real world.

The graphs on the site are listed in crank horsepower so a direct comparison to stock numbers can be made. But yes it is based on a stock M4 CP and the same M4 CP with the Dinan upgrades. You can apply whatever obligatory drivetrain loss to those numbers you would like (12-15%) and it will get you in the ball park of the wheel numbers. Not exactly perfect since drivetrain loss isn't a static percentage and varies per RPM, transmission, etc but for general purposes it works.
So what would the stage 2 piggy back put to the wheels ~450whp? I am debating this over a flash but i do want to feel the difference and i hope i will with your tune. On my e60 m5 i couldn't notice the flash of the performance engine software.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #19
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

nice post... Never tried a Dinan product since I dont live in the US, but if I did, I would def. get a Dinan since I wouldn't like to lose warranty.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
So what would the stage 2 piggy back put to the wheels ~450whp? I am debating this over a flash but i do want to feel the difference and i hope i will with your tune. On my e60 m5 i couldn't notice the flash of the performance engine software.
How skewed do you want the numbers? Stage 2 on the CP would peak at about ~480-490 whp (SAE). ~465-470 whp (uncorrected). We measured roughly ~425 whp in stock trim regardless of correction factor as a reference.

The E60 was a N/A motor so the tune was more about drivability and making the car more responsive then any real gain in power which was limited to under 10HP on just the tune itself. On N/A motors gains are in hard parts and not software. Turbo cars are the polar opposite.
Appreciate 2
hdubf80143.50
domino_z1239.50
      09-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #21
hova00
Major
Rep

Could also give TQ #'s?

So tempted to try and book an spot. for tomorrow and then to the drag strip.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #22
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Thank you, Dinan, for continuing to make products for adults. I remember you from the E46 days and like that the same ethics (more or less) apply now; even though the M3 customer base has drastically changed.
N54MPower283.50
Bosozoku693.50
Agent11br449.50
mister2d155.50