Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

View Poll Results: [Unofficial F8x Poll] Which tune are you running?
Active Autowereke Active-8 6 2.51%
Active Autowereke OTS Flash 5 2.09%
Alex@AlpineMSS OEM/OTS 27 11.30%
APM Tune OTS Flash 0 0%
BMS JB4 (Map 1/2/7) 22 9.21%
BMS JB4 w/ MHD BEF 5 2.09%
BMS JB4 w/ BM3 BEF 5 2.09%
BMS JB Stage 1 5 2.09%
bootmod3 - Cary Jordan 17 7.11%
bootmod3 - Halim Cazimi 8 3.35%
bootmod3 - Paul Johnson 7 2.93%
bootmod3 - OTS/PTF 51 21.34%
bootmod3 - Other 9 3.77%
BPM Sport 36 15.06%
Dinantronics - Stage 1 3 1.26%
Dinantronics - Stage 2 1 0.42%
Dinantronics - Stage 3 5 2.09%
ESS Tuning E-tronic 1 0.42%
ESS Tuning E-tronic w/ BEF 0 0%
ESS Tuning OTS Flash 3 1.26%
Evolve Automotive OTS Flash 4 1.67%
MHD OTS 4 1.67%
MHD - BQ Tuning 0 0%
MHD - Trebila 1 0.42%
MHD - Wedge Performance 1 0.42%
VF-Engineering OTS 16 6.69%
Vivid Racing - VR Tune 0 0%
Other (European Tuner) 4 1.67%
Other (North America Tuner) 10 4.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

02-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Post [Unofficial F8x Poll - Feb 2018] Which tune are you running?

Given the plethora of tuning options available in the market right now, I thought this would be a good way to see which tune is most commonly used on the F8x S55 platform.

Please refrain from making any comments about which tune is better, cheaper, tastier, or basically any personal opinions that would incite a potential tuner war.

Let's try to keep this poll as NUMBERS ONLY as much as possible. The main goal here is to get a statistical breakdown of each tune/tuner.

Thank you in advance for those who are willing to participate in a civilized manner!

NOTE: The poll is set to anonymous, and I've enabled multiple selection for those running more than 1 tune.

--------------------

POLL SUMMARY

It looks like the results are in for February 2018 with a total of 186 votes. Big thanks to everyone who participated!

Top 5 - Most Popular Tunes

1. bootmod3
2. BPM
3. JB4 (including BEF)
4. AlpineMSS
5. VF-E

These are some very interesting stats indeed with no surprise to bootmod3 taking the lead at 36.56% of the market share, not including those running their tune as a BEF, and the ones who recently signed up with OBD unlock.

BPM Sport is clearly and rightfully in 2nd place at 17.2%, and JB4 came in 3rd at 15.59% (includes those with BEF).

The most surprising takeaway is AlpineMSS edging VF-E by about 5 votes or 2.69%. I was really expecting VF-E to go neck and neck with BPM's tally, but perhaps the VF-E tuned guys decided not to show up for this poll.

Future poll predictions:

Unless vendors start giving away their tunes for free, I see bootmod3 having no issues maintaining their strong lead for a very long time. JB4 along with other piggyback tunes seem to be trending down based on the used marketplace activity. However, I see BMS picking things back up again once the BEF maps become more refined, and as more feature improvements are introduced. Unfortunately, MHD did not get many votes during this round, but it may be a matter of time before they start gaining more customers as they make their way out of BETA.

As for the rest of the top vote-getters, I see them continuing to gain a steady stream of new customers, so long as the prices remain competitive with other tuning options.

Last edited by FriedPiston; 02-28-2018 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Correction for BPM Sport: If you have BPM's tune, then please select the first option only [BPM Sport OTS - Mike Benvo]. Kindly ignore option #2 [BPM Sport Custom - Mike Benvo] if possible.

I'm in the process of reaching out to a moderator to get the two entries merged as one with a slight entry correction.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Great turnout so far, everyone! Thank you again to those who have taken a few seconds of their time to participate.

Please keep the votes coming, as I truly believe this statistical information is beneficial to everyone in our community!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
Budnr22
Rep
Drives: GT530

Good idea. I am contemplating tune and this is great data. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Time Lord
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

i think the price drop from VF will be greatly changing the outcome of this poll in the near future.
      02-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budnr22 View Post
Good idea. I am contemplating tune and this is great data. Thanks
Thank you! Please remember to vote once you're tuned, and hopefully this poll won't be the only basis of your decision to go with a particular tuner
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
breakfastlinks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
hopefully this poll won't be the only basis of your decision to go with a particular tuner
This.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
junkbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

should add Frank Smith tuning tech >>> TTFS. frank is a big part of tuning actually. I think he's helped out other tuning companies listed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #9
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkbox View Post
should add Frank Smith tuning tech >>> TTFS. frank is a big part of tuning actually. I think he's helped out other tuning companies listed.
I wish I had the option to add/modify the poll. Unfortunately, once the initial set of entries are entered, there is no way to change things unless a moderator is willing to step in.

I submitted a change request earlier today, but no dice so far.

Edit: It looks like Frank Smith is part of the bootmod3 platform, so people can vote for him using the [bootmod3 - Other] option for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
junkbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I wish I had the option to add/modify the poll. Unfortunately, once the initial set of entries are entered, there is no way to change things unless a moderator is willing to step in.

I'm not sure why we don't hear more from or about frank smith on the f8x platform. Oh well, lots of good options out there!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
cartOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure why we don't hear more from or about frank smith on the f8x platform. Oh well, lots of good options out there!
Quote:
Quote:

Gintani tune + dp's putting me over 560 hp and around 600 lb/ft on 91, more on e85
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Wow, there is one tune that is very popular, im gonna go with that one.
      02-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
And which is that bm3?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
whitefrs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarbul1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
And which is that bm3?
Bootmod
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartOC View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Gintani tune + dp's putting me over 560 hp and around 600 lb/ft on 91, more on e85
Ok that is really impressive
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
cartOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee808 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee808 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Gintani has a great tune for this platform, not to mention the huracan/ferrari builds they are working on at the moment. I am surprised with just those two bolt ons that much power could be made. They haven't been trying hard enough to get the publicity they deserve.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I wonder what is going on here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1464566
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #18
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Some newbie shop was stuck doing bench unlock.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #19
m4journey
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

Patiently waiting for OBD unlock on BM3, then will add myself to the poll
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bumping this up to see if we can get to 200 votes or more.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It looks like the results are in for February 2018 with a total of 186 votes. Big thanks to everyone who participated!

Top 5 - Most Popular Tunes

1. bootmod3
2. BPM
3. JB4 (including BEF)
4. AlpineMSS
5. VF-E

These are some very interesting stats indeed with no surprise to bootmod3 taking the lead at 36.56% of the market share, not including those running their tune as a BEF, and the ones who recently signed up with OBD unlock.

BPM Sport is clearly and rightfully in 2nd place at 17.2%, and JB4 came in 3rd at 15.59% (includes those with BEF).

The most surprising takeaway is AlpineMSS edging VF-E by about 5 votes or 2.69%. I was really expecting VF-E to go neck and neck with BPM's tally, but perhaps the VF-E tuned guys decided not to show up for this poll.

Future poll predictions:

Unless vendors start giving away their tunes for free, I see bootmod3 having no issues maintaining their strong lead for a very long time. JB4 along with other piggyback tunes seem to be trending down based on the used marketplace activity. However, I see BMS picking things back up again once the BEF maps become more refined, and as more feature improvements are introduced. Unfortunately, MHD did not get many votes during this round, but it may be a matter of time before they start gaining more customers as they make their way out of BETA.

As for the rest of the top vote-getters, I see them continuing to gain a steady stream of new customers, so long as the prices remain competitive with other tuning options.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50