EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Road Rash Repair

So for those of you who saw my Road Rash on Saturday, I got it repaired. I have the black stock wheels. Two Alloy wheel places said they could not fix. They tried it in the past, and could never match the color.

So I went over the BMW in Sterling, and their wheel guy did a great job. Only $160 and took about 2 hours to do. Before, you could see it from a mile away, now if I look at it really, really close, I can see it, and if is a little rougher where it was ground down, but I think I will not have to get a new wheel to appease my OCD Didn't think a dealer would ever be a good option, but it guess if they are doing a lot of lease turnovers, they need to have some way of doing it.

If I had a way to post the images I would show you before and after, but after thinking about it, you should never post embarrassing images of yourself on the Internet.
Appreciate 3
EALm43346.50
bb1857868.00
      03-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Alloy Wheel Repair, Wheel Ding King
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
isn't black wheel hard to fix ? I have light curve scratch while making turn, took it to local wheel guy and I was told due to two tone color of the wheel, it may not come out right.
after hearing it, I was bit hesitant and ended up not doing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeite22 View Post
isn't black wheel hard to fix ? I have light curve scratch while making turn, took it to local wheel guy and I was told due to two tone color of the wheel, it may not come out right.
after hearing it, I was bit hesitant and ended up not doing it.
That is the same thing I heard. One place told me they would not try it because they tried in the past and could not get it to match.

I am waiting for a Sunny Day and letting the paint cure a bit before I make my final judgement, but so far it looked pretty good in the overcast light. My scratches were not light, BTW. If you are interested, shoot me a PM with your email and I can send you the before and after. I don't think I can attach a picture to messages (at least I have not been able to)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
OMMMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' F80 M3 AW/BLK

http://www.eurobeatwheels.com/index.html

Best in the biz, does unbelievable work.
      04-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweiger View Post
So for those of you who saw my Road Rash on Saturday, I got it repaired. I have the black stock wheels. Two Alloy wheel places said they could not fix. They tried it in the past, and could never match the color.

So I went over the BMW in Sterling, and their wheel guy did a great job. Only $160 and took about 2 hours to do. Before, you could see it from a mile away, now if I look at it really, really close, I can see it, and if is a little rougher where it was ground down, but I think I will not have to get a new wheel to appease my OCD Didn't think a dealer would ever be a good option, but it guess if they are doing a lot of lease turnovers, they need to have some way of doing it.

If I had a way to post the images I would show you before and after, but after thinking about it, you should never post embarrassing images of yourself on the Internet.
160 for 1 rim?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
OP, any chance you'd be willing to post a pic of the repair? Or anyone else here with recommendations for a shop that can or has repair curb rash on the black 437's?

Just curb rashed one of mine this morning, several inches long. Kicking myself, even after I first parked I thought to myself "Oo, bit close to that curb, I'll need to be careful pulling out"
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
OP, any chance you'd be willing to post a pic of the repair? Or anyone else here with recommendations for a shop that can or has repair curb rash on the black 437's?

Just curb rashed one of mine this morning, several inches long. Kicking myself, even after I first parked I thought to myself "Oo, bit close to that curb, I'll need to be careful pulling out"
I have not figured out how to post a picture. I you want to pm me you email address. I can sent you the before and after. I have sent the images to. A couple of folks here
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
I have not figured out how to post a picture. I you want to pm me you email address. I can sent you the before and after. I have sent the images to. A couple of folks here
check out postimage.org
Create an account there and store your pics. It's the site that I use for all my forum stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep

So here are the before an after images. I think the before is obvious, if the images are out of order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

color does not match. it looks greenish maybe a different color, but not the machined oem look.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

matches good enough
Appreciate 1
iatacs19458.50
      04-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #13
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for posting. I think they look pretty good. Can't tell if it's just some sort of glare in the last picture or if the inside of the wheel is still a bit pitted compared to the polished end. But that's hopeful, I may take my wheel to Sterling if Passport or one of the other outfits here like RRT doesn't have an option. $160 does seem high for one wheel though, wow.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #14
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3s View Post
color does not match. it looks greenish maybe a different color, but not the machined oem look.
I noticed that too in the pictures when I took them.

The greenish tint you are seeing is the grass that the car is parked next too. I took a couple of quick snaps with the iphone, and there is a slight green cast with the shots. The before shots where done on a cloudy day, the after was on a sunny. If you see it person, you will see it matches pretty dang good, not perfect, put way better then it was.

BTW, it you look closely to all 4 of your wheels, you will notice that they will not all match each other.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3s View Post
I noticed that too in the pictures when I took them.

The greenish tint you are seeing is the grass that the car is parked next too. I took a couple of quick snaps with the iphone, and there is a slight green cast with the shots. The before shots where done on a cloudy day, the after was on a sunny. If you see it person, you will see it matches pretty dang good, not perfect, put way better then it was.

BTW, it you look closely to all 4 of your wheels, you will notice that they will not all match each other.
I've noticed those differences in coloration too. I was wondering if that's factory or the dealer I bought the car from had road rash repaired from the previous owner. My sales rep said he wasn't aware of any (hmmm). But the car had been on the lot for over a year so when they originally snapped it up to CPO it that's when it would've been done.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:36 AM   #16
bmw-st
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2C AW

it's close enough.. you can never expect factory / OEM finish unless you buy a brand new wheel / rim... and chances are you may get another rash... thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Hey OP, do you have a SA or point of contact you can post or PM me for that wheel repair at Sterling BMW? I just got a quote from a different outfit for $200 per wheel over two days, looking to see if they still repair for $160 in a few hours and try to get some other quotes too.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #18
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Wheel Ding King.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Buy new or re-spray the entire wheel, touch up here and there is ok but extremely difficult to match exactly. I would suggest touch ups till the entire rim needs overhauling.

In the OPs case, it looks pretty good. The dealerships will typically get some of the most qualified local repair guys to do work for them on premises, eg I had a repair done at my loca BMW service that was very well done and priced accordingly for my area.

Lastly, if so inclined I've seen some DIY kits that are not bad as well if you have the tools and patience, but again not perfect but acceptable.