Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-27-2024, 08:37 AM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash666 View Post
---
Mate, i've to disagree on that. they're both made in China but one says BMWOLED one just says OLED, but all the look and functionality are absolutely identical
No. They are not even close.
Appreciate 3
The_Werm212.00
WhiteFox108.00
HotRodM4687.00
      03-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #24
Arash666
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Heritage Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Fake OLEDs are nowhere near as nice as the real thing. The real OLEDs just glow and look like feathers/wings on the rear of the car, they are stunning to look at. I'd prefer standard LCI tails over the FOLEDs.

Also, here's a recent video on an M4 CS. You just cannot go wrong with this car, and as someone who has owned nearly very iteration of this generation, I cannot recommend it enough.

---
Conclusion is that Comp is best value for money after taking everything into consideration???
This lad(in video) lost 10k in depreciation, it's already about 10-12k more expensive than a Comp, and paid +/-3k for modification. so he's ~25k worse off. and just the fact that he says "it's a weekend car,he misses the cup holder and door pockets etc..." just tells me CS is a childish and short-run choice.
can modify a Comp with 25k and have enough leftover, plus comfort to take it around UK during summer.

CS IS exclusive, but if i wanted exclusivity, Heritage is there for the same money as CS, but more exclusive and rare.

And just a response to all of them CS rim lovers, GTS has the 666-rim

The other thing is that CS does 3.9sec on the paper, but it's only 32kg lighter than Comp and frankly that lad is a heavy lad, so 4sec+ was acceptable

However, the main point is that i don't take advise from a person who sells a M5 for a M4??? if i could afford a 4.4ltr engine i'd, without a shadow of doubt buy an M5
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:52 AM   #25
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don’t understand what you’re asking us at this point then, go buy a Comp.
Appreciate 2
HotRodM4687.00
M3SQRD2161.00
      03-27-2024, 02:43 PM   #26
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash666 View Post
—-
Mate, i've to disagree on that. they're both made in China but one says BMWOLED one just says OLED, but all the look and functionality are absolutely identical
You are sadly 100% incorrect here. FOLED is not oled technology at all hence the price and hence the chunky look of the light pieces as there is a LED lighting it. OLEDs are wafer thin as they are OLEDS and look as if they float in the housing. OSRAM made the BMW OLEDs not China. You need to grab a pair of the real ones and you will see the difference straightaway as they are not the same in lighting technology and brightness.

BMW have not made a set since the GTS as the manufacturing costs are really high. If they could make for 400 and sell for £1k all cars they made would come with them.

Read the newspress by OSRAM and BMW
osram

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 3
NickyC17484.50
HotRodM4687.00
      03-27-2024, 04:48 PM   #27
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
You are sadly 100% incorrect here. FOLED is not oled technology at all hence the price and hence the chunky look of the light pieces as there is a LED lighting it. OLEDs are wafer thin as they are OLEDS and look as if they float in the housing. OSRAM made the BMW OLEDs not China. You need to grab a pair of the real ones and you will see the difference straightaway as they are not the same in lighting technology and brightness.

BMW have not made a set since the GTS as the manufacturing costs are really high. If they could make for 400 and sell for £1k all cars they made would come with them.

Read the newspress by OSRAM and BMW
osram

Hope that helps.
Nice background, and yes, they are really amazing to look at. I know it might sound a bit ridiculous to make so much out of the taillights of a vehicle, but the OLEDs are just damned special. I have had people who look like they know nothing about cars comment on them, talk about how eye catching they are, how they appear to glow, etc. Then the folks who really know what a CS is, almost all of them ask to see the taillights on. They're just really a special piece for a special car.

One of my biggest disappointments with the G8x cars was the boring, totally drab, Lexus looking taillights they put on the cars. I mean even the LCI tails on the F8x cars blow those things out of the water, we won't even mention the OLEDs. I've seen the new laser light tails on the CSL cars as well and even those look like a downgrade from the OLEDs.
Appreciate 1
wishbone168.00
      03-27-2024, 09:46 PM   #28
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Always the CS unless you need 6MT. If 6MT is a must then go for the ZCP with CS coding for dampers, steering, and differential (plus Base front sway bar if you want to take it all the way).

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 3
NickyC17484.50
WWM3968.00
      03-27-2024, 10:20 PM   #29
dbudh001
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4cs 2020

Quote:
CS if you don’t want 360 cameras and other creature comforts.

M4 Comp is best if you want a high spec car.

what exactly do you consider a high spec car ? cant see how people can say the comp is higher spec'd than a CS

ceramic breaks , CF hood, OLED taillights, gts door cards, better handling, better interior look and feel, better sound ( from factory ) , ikon head lights > a few extra spaces cubbies , arm rest and 360 camera ......... IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 01:55 AM   #30
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbudh001 View Post
what exactly do you consider a high spec car ? cant see how people can say the comp is higher spec'd than a CS

ceramic breaks , CF hood, OLED taillights, gts door cards, better handling, better interior look and feel, better sound ( from factory ) , ikon head lights > a few extra spaces cubbies , arm rest and 360 camera ......... IMO
Different strokes for different folks - In terms of tech spec I’m referring to it’s a higher spec car as the CS spec was to loose weight and creature comforts and focus more on spirited driving hence a different spec car with lighter body panels and wheels. As the video on YouTube great weekend car and on track but as a daily not too sure.

Ceramic brakes came with comp cars as well. It’s the hood, rear oled lights, door cards, CS Lip vs Comp Lip and different wheels that was the exterior package changes. Exhaust is the same as no changes were made to this or engine components. BMW just applied a coding tune to get another 10hp and did same with gearbox and damper settings. Note the springs, dampers were from the comp cars. Rollbar was slightly changed to make stiffer.

Lots of people love the hood and lights and have swapped them into their Comp and seen a few swap out door cards, wheels and flashed the gearbox and dampers to CS/GTS which gets you close to the CS but it’s harder for those with a CS to add all the tech back into the cars esp the HVAC system.

Both are great cars but built for different driving styles.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 02:03 AM   #31
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

The CS is nice but i don't really like that they use 19" wheels up front even if it said to make the car handle better. Too bad it didn't come manual, then it would be 55 pounds lighter too. Now it weighs like a manual comp even that it has the different hood and wheels.
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2024, 04:51 AM   #32
Arash666
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Heritage Ed

Quote:
I don’t understand what you’re asking us at this point then, go buy a Comp.
---

Soz, I wasn't asking anymore ) i was just writing my thoughts out loud

I was thinking all things considered i've made up my mind on getting a Comp. thanks for advise and help.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50
      03-28-2024, 11:58 AM   #33
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Seriously though, now you're set on a comp do yourself a favor and flash CS edc when you get it. It's not a question of suiting different drivers or styles, it's just better plain and simple. How these cars should have come from the beginning given it's the same hardware.
NickyC17484.50
      03-28-2024, 01:04 PM   #34
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
I have a Comp that I did the front sway and spring swap on and then did the CS dampener tuning - among others - and it was a big improvement in removing the initial harshness that I'd feel over mid sized bumps. The car was smoother and less jerky over undulating bumps than the comp EDC settings; 100% a must mod if you've got a Comp.
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7601.50
NickyC17484.50
      03-28-2024, 03:13 PM   #35
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Them Wild

Quote:
CS cars will lack the following:

- Auto climate control
- Door puddle illumination
- Door storage
- 360 Cameras
- Driver lane keep
- Blind Spot detection
- Arm rest storage
- Wireless car charger
- 666 Rims

CS cars you gain

- Oled rear lights
- 19in front rims
- CF Hood
- Alcentara interior
- 10 HP though with coding you can achieve this.

Really would go for Comp for the extra functions unless you wish to track car
Might be a UK thing, but my F82 CS has door puddle lights. Subjective, but I hate the driving nannies like lane departure, etc.

OP - I have had a myriad of M cars. Most recently F82 Comp and F82 CS. Hands down the CS is a better driving experience, but I really do not drive that much to worry about cupholders etc and typically shy away from nannies and tech. On track - no comparison, at all. Sounds like a Comp would better suit what you are looking for.

Last edited by Zulu Saffa; 03-28-2024 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 11:01 AM   #36
wishbone
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP, '14 F30 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [9.00]
Quote:
Nice background, and yes, they are really amazing to look at. I know it might sound a bit ridiculous to make so much out of the taillights of a vehicle, but the OLEDs are just damned special. I have had people who look like they know nothing about cars comment on them, talk about how eye catching they are, how they appear to glow, etc. Then the folks who really know what a CS is, almost all of them ask to see the taillights on. They're just really a special piece for a special car.

One of my biggest disappointments with the G8x cars was the boring, totally drab, Lexus looking taillights they put on the cars. I mean even the LCI tails on the F8x cars blow those things out of the water, we won't even mention the OLEDs. I've seen the new laser light tails on the CSL cars as well and even those look like a downgrade from the OLEDs.
I also tend to think that taillight discussions are incredibly important. Older bulb technology is dimmer and less likely for a driver behind you to see the lighting. With all of the distractions today I feel like the most eye catching technology is creating safety where people have traditionally just assumed a brake light is a brake light is a brake light.

Upgrading my pre-LCI to LCI tails on my f30 was not just a great visually appealing update but one that I've valued as a safety upgrade, too.

F30 328i 2014 / dinan sport kit / premium pkg / 6-speed / nav / hex trim / HK sound / B14 coilovers / oem roof rack / active autowerke exhaust / eventuri CAI
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50