proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #89
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Congrats more pic's please!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #90
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
I should move to Dubai then
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #91
schlichtm3
Driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition 2019

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #92
TomTom///M
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M / Ferrari 458 Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
You'll think twice if you hear the price... believe me!
      06-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #93
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom///M
Quote:
You'll think twice if you hear the price... believe me!
True, I heard this before ... It might be all I can afford if I go there is a nicely equipped Kia Forte

Here, an M3 on average would be $70k to $75K, how much that translates to in that part of the world?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #94
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Congrats again on the car. I wonder if the Dubai police will get one to put next to their Lamborghini and Bugatti
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #95
carlos@velosdesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4

Congrats man. Great color.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #96
TomTom///M
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
True, I heard this before ... It might be all I can afford if I go there is a nicely equipped Kia Forte

Here, an M3 on average would be $70k to $75K, how much that translates to in that part of the world?
The price of my car is 410k AED, that's 111k USD. Yup, whereas a base 991 GT3 is 490k AED here and hence very similar to the US price of 130k USD.

In terms of specs, I've got pretty much everything apart from heated seats (duh), adaptive suspension (mistake in the order), M Drivers Package (not available yet) and ceramics (not needed). With these 4 items added, it would be 463k AED, or 127k USD.

Simple: BMWs are very expensive in Dubai as compared to the US. Such is life... I want them regardless!
      06-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #97
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom///M View Post
The price of my car is 410k AED, that's 111k USD. Yup, whereas a base 991 GT3 is 490k AED here and hence very similar to the US price of 130k USD.

In terms of specs, I've got pretty much everything apart from heated seats (duh), adaptive suspension (mistake in the order), M Drivers Package (not available yet) and ceramics (not needed). With these 4 items added, it would be 463k AED, or 127k USD.

Simple: BMWs are very expensive in Dubai as compared to the US. Such is life... I want them regardless!
Well, there is now an online article in which you ARE described as a "wealthy man" who bought the car "for your wife" (with some surprise there), albeit also the concession that you must "really love your wife".

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/se...ife-82027.html
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #98
TomTom///M
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Well, there is now an online article in which you ARE described as a "wealthy man" who bought the car "for your wife" (with some surprise there), albeit also the concession that you must "really love your wife".

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/se...ife-82027.html
Thanks for pointing that article out. I hadn't seen it.

As most articles, the facts aren't 100% correct. Here the facts:
- Yes, I bought the car for my wife as her daily driver. Partially because I really like it and partially because she likes fast saloons.
- Yes, I have recently realized one of my dreams and took delivery of my 458 Speciale (see: http://www.crankandpiston.com/journa...iale-journals/), surprisingly the first one in Dubai as well. A car that I ordered more than 18 months ago.
- I'm a real BMW-fan and am the happy owner of a 1M. Which I'll probably never sell, because it's so much fun to drive. And looks amazing!

And what's not true:
- I didn't "convince the dealership to give me one of the two cars they had", this was my car from the beginning, the one that I ordered and down-paid last year already. It (to my surprise!) arrived as early as April, as 1 of the first. I expected it around July, to be honest.
- I'm not a car collector. I use them. A lot. Drive them as hard as I can, safely. Because I believe that where they're made for. I don't see the point spending so much money on such cars and not trying to utilize their full potential.

I want to believe I'm not a (typical) 'wealthy' man, just a petrol-head coming from a simple background, with a very good and very demanding job, who realizes that he is very lucky to be able to fulfill some of his childhood dreams by owning cars that he couldn't even dream of when he was a kid. Actually, I'm happy that I had to earn every penny to buy these cars myself, because that only makes me appreciate them even more.
      06-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #99
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:

- Yes, I bought the car for my wife as her daily driver. Partially because I really like it and partially because she likes fast saloons.
- Yes, I have recently realized one of my dreams and took delivery of my 458 Speciale (see: http://www.crankandpiston.com/journa...iale-journals/), surprisingly the first one in Dubai as well. A car that I ordered more than 18 months ago.
- I'm a real BMW-fan and am the happy owner of a 1M. Which I'll probably never sell, because it's so much fun to drive. And looks amazing!

And what's not true:
- I didn't "convince the dealership to give me one of the two cars they had", this was my car from the beginning, the one that I ordered and down-paid last year already. It (to my surprise!) arrived as early as April, as 1 of the first. I expected it around July, to be honest.
- I'm not a car collector. I use them. A lot. Drive them as hard as I can, safely. Because I believe that where they're made for. I don't see the point spending so much money on such cars and not trying to utilize their full potential.

I want to believe I'm not a (typical) 'wealthy' man, just a petrol-head coming from a simple background, with a very good and very demanding job, who realizes that he is very lucky to be able to fulfill some of his childhood dreams by owning cars that he couldn't even dream of when he was a kid. Actually, I'm happy that I had to earn every penny to buy these cars myself, because that only makes me appreciate them even more.
No worries - you don't (or shouldn't) have to justify your success and love of cars in this of all forums. Anyone who is shopping this car should be able to afford it (or hello-there-credit-crisis-cruch of 2015.....).

Mostly I posted the link because:

(1) It is always funny to read an article of which you know something about the actual event to see how it gets pitched;
(2) I thought you might want to know; and
(3) I thought it was a fantastic example of extremely lazy 'journalism'. Essentially just rephrasing a few comments from your initial post; no efforts to contact you or anyone - just cut and paste with some wild speculation thrown in.

I'm not a journalist (not much respect for that profession either) but even they have standards and that sort of article falls sooooo far below those standards I have some sympathy when they bemoan the spread of online 'journalists' posing as the real thing.

(OT, but impressed that you got the first Speciale in Dubai. I mean, in a town where even the police drive a Veyron......)

Anyway, enjoy the ride in good health. Seriously jealous over here (not that I have even got off my ass to actually order the damn thing yet....though I did just get a call from the good folks at BMW Canada looking to set up a test drive, so that was something that will move this process along)

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #100
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:

And what's not true:

Are you going to ask them to take the article down? I don't see how they can post that without your consent or at least informing you that they were going to do that. It seems like poor journalism to me, especially because they used your photo without your permission. Just goes to show how easy it is for any site to pose as a "news" outlet on the internet just by taking someone else's post and rewording it (and heck half of it wasn't even true).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #101
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Dream fleet
Congrats !
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #102
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 911 GT3

I might have missed, but your M3 was DCT, correct? How does it compare to your 458 in terms of shift times and response times?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #103
TomTom///M
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gago1101 View Post
I might have missed, but your M3 was DCT, correct? How does it compare to your 458 in terms of shift times and response times?
Yeah, it's DCT. My wife, even though she drives manual, prefers that in traffic. And I'm fine with it too, I've got the manual in the 1M already.

It's difficult to compare the shift and response times, because both are too short for a human being to register. The gearbox in the Speciale is quite different (faster / more 'abrupt' in Race-mode) than the Italia. Due to the running in requirements, I haven't revved the M3 yet, which, IMHO, shows the true nature of a DCT. At normal driving, both are very smooth.
      06-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #104
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 911 GT3

Quote:
Yeah, it's DCT. My wife, even though she drives manual, prefers that in traffic. And I'm fine with it too, I've got the manual in the 1M already.

It's difficult to compare the shift and response times, because both are too short for a human being to register. The gearbox in the Speciale is quite different (faster / more 'abrupt' in Race-mode) than the Italia. Due to the running in requirements, I haven't revved the M3 yet, which, IMHO, shows the true nature of a DCT. At normal driving, both are very smooth.
When you start revving it, please share your thoughts on the DCT shifts compared to your Speciale and the engineless GT3.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #105
e39>all
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i sedan

Congrats on your car of course (and congrats on getting it early). Everyone appreciates the time you've taken to share your experience and feedback, like UAE as well. Enjoy your car!

Ps, thank you mods for moving the questions and tomtom responses to OP
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #106
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

Quote:

Saw this car today driving around and it's definitely a nice color combination...congrats
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #107
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

What is your take on the 'creaking' that UAE brought to our attention?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #108
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
What is your take on the 'creaking' that UAE brought to our attention?
Thanks!
I haven't read the thread but hopefully it's just the door seals. My E60 M5 cracked liked crazy from 0 miles until I began to apply Vinylex to the door seals each month. That solved it entirely and made me feel a whole lot better in the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #109
SoN][c
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's the second one that has been publicized on the forum by the owner.

I would love to see that AY F80 so if you know the owner personally please encourage them to sign up and post pictures. Understandably, though, they may not be at liberty to do so since they either got the dealership to break the embargo illegitimately or worked out a deal with BMW NA which could very well have a hush clause of some type.
He is on the board, and posted lots of pics & review:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=994012
2000 Silver Honda Prelude (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #110
SoN][c
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWind View Post
Congrats on the m3. Not sure if this the second delivery. I know of someone in NA that has taken delivery of a f80 m3 in Austin yellow few weeks back. There might others out there as well.
LOL - I wonder who that could be?
2000 Silver Honda Prelude (sold)
Appreciate 0