proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
X88-M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: (F80) M3 Competition

A list of issues within a year of ownership...

Hi all

Today marks one year to the day since I collected my new F80 M3.

The M3 was always a dream car for me, so when I turned 40 I finally decided to treat myself. Unfortunately, my excitement and ownership experience has been somewhat tainted given the number of problems I've had with it.

Here's the list...

1. Badly fitted carbon components (MPE exhaust tips and diffuser) on delivery, which then had to be corrected thus delaying pick-up. The MPE exhaust tips then later worked themselves loose, one of which then had to be replaced under warranty when it fell off.

2. Creaking noise coming from the roof. This one does my head in. Turns out that it's an issue with the door seals drying out. The car has gone back twice now but the problem is still not fixed.

3. Broken top mounts, which needed replacing. Not sure what that means exactly but it was something mechanical making a nasty noise. Another warranty claim.

4. Leaking AC unit that flooded the front and rear passenger footwell. Back to BMW again.

5. Extremely poor Apple Car Play integration which resulted in making and receiving phone calls almost impossible. I've now switched off Car Play. It's rubbish.

Has anyone else had issues? Or have I just been very unlucky? I'm now looking to book a test drive in a C63S as a possible alternative.

With my excitement slowly turning to disappointment, maybe I'm not the only one. It's still an awesome car but the frustrations are starting to get to me... Look forward to hearing from folks.

Regards

H
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Sorry to hear of your experience and sounds like you've been unfortunate.

In 13 months and 23k miles I've had zero issues on my M4 CP. Touch wood of course!

The creaky door seals and MPE issues have been relatively common from what I've read. The others not so.

Hope it hasn't tainted you M ownership experience as it's no the norm from my understanding.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Sorry man. The only issue that I've had so far in a year of ownership and 14K miles is rocks getting stuck in the brake shields. The shields were replaced under warranty and is a known issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

CarPlay is complete crap. I think BMW rushed it into production. I don?t use it either but no real worry as ID5 is much better (just a waste of $300)

You got a lemon but don?t go to Merc! It will only get worse!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Denis Law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Well, I've done all of 34 miles in my new M3 and I'm completely problem free
Sorry to hear about those issue's though, it does sound like you have been unlucky.
Things can go pear shaped of course but I've never had a single issue with any car and I've been driving for about 35 years, not that that really helps though!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

C63S has it's fair share of problems as well. Just do a Google search or look at this guy's YouTube channel. He's owned two C63S's.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mikesautoreviews/videos
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
Sorry to read its not been a good year!

I've owned mine for a year, had to go back for a couple of issues

1. broken top mounts - had to replace due to squeaking when turning full lock at low speeds. apparently a know issue.

2. brake shields - stones caught inside between shield and disk - replaced with redesigned parts (new cars shouldn't suffer this anymore)

3. interior rattle and squeaks - i think its getting worse, depends on road surface. out of the beemers i've owned, this has been the worst for that!

I wouldn't change it for the world, it still bags of fun and a head turner. got plenty of miles with smiles to go before i think about changing to another car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
mqfx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Coupe

I agree that carplay is more of a hassle than it's worth. I barely have 1k miles on my M4 and I've already shut it off. Thank god it was only $300.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:55 AM   #9
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

Apple Car Play is garbage. Sometimes takes ages to hook up to the phone.

In my 16 months of ownership of my first 2016 M4 and 21k miles, list of problems is:-
3 stones in brake disc guards which I cleared myself quite easily. Nothing else mechanical at all.
Now have a 2017 M4, done 700 miles, no issues so far but I do agree that the car does have some rattles and creaks. A particular annoying one from the passenger side somewhere but I just turn the music up louder and will have garage look at it when it goes in for 1200 miles service.

Overall my experience with BMW M cars has been a totally positive one, coming from 400bhp 4wd japanese cars, i'm pleasantly surprised. Only downside is that the dealer experience first time around was crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Hi OP and sorry to hear your problems. Not great!

It's just about 13 months for me and 13k miles, and I've not had any issues to go back to the dealer with really.

At the running-in service I did ask about a slight knocking sound from the back which was a common problem at the time. Mine was not very bad, didn't do it on the test drive with the mechanic in, and rarely do I hear it now.

I have had the odd stone in the rear brake shield but only once have I had to flick it out myself.

I don't get the door rubber noise as I have the M4 but I got that with my previous 330d. I used some Gummi stuff every few months to stop that, though I agree you shouldn't have to do that.

I do have a buzz from the phone wireless charger unit but putting the phone in stops that.

Otherwise, I'm delighted with mine and still look forward to every drive in it. I hope you get your issues sorted and BMW get you back on board.
      10-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #11
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

My CEL is on after ~60 miles on the odometer - just picked up the car on Saturday. Car is going in to the dealership tomorrow to have it checked out. I'll report back afterwards.

Also, spotify has stopped responding to inputs from the car. Blutooth connects and the usic plays, but can't skip songs or anything like that from the car, I have to do it from the phone. Also, album artwork and music info is not showing at all. It was working fine the first day I picked up the car. Not sure if it's a phone issue (brand new iPhone 7) or car issue.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #12
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Hi,

I’m also just over the 12 months mark and my issues have been:
1. A couple of buzzes/rattles that have driven me mad but have both been fixed by me ... the wireless charger is one (which I covered in felt tape to fix .. the other was a rattle in plastic trim against the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. This one took me ages to find but is now sorted (bit more felt tape)
2. I have a had a few stones in the brake heat shield ... each time fixed itself or encouraged by some bending/fiddling
3. My passenger side door trim (the pearl chrome strip) is kind of bubbling - like there is a plastic coating that has expanded. Not heard it from anyone else and pretty minor - however I will get the dealer to fix next service I suspect.

Other than that I’ve had no issues and also haven’t taken the car in at all. I also have an M4 and don’t get the popcorn sounds from the doors - although I still put some gummi on them just in case

Rich.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

What's the deal with the Gummi? I know it's an M3 thing
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #14
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
It's a saloon thing as I had the creaking/rattle noise on my previous 330d. I just rubbed the Gummi stick along all the door seals and it stopped for a while at least. That was a 2013 model so I would have hoped they had fixed that by now.
      10-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
goaliechris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
Quote:
It's a saloon thing as I had the creaking/rattle noise on my previous 330d. I just rubbed the Gummi stick along all the door seals and it stopped for a while at least. That was a 2013 model so I would have hoped they had fixed that by now.
I had a horrible creaking noise coming from around the window frames right from the start. Took it in and they applied teflon tape as there is a part that moves against another. So far, so quiet.

According to the service adviser they worked with HQ on diagnosing and then fixing the issue. I think it's more common than they tried to make it appear.
      10-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
Slips
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sakhir

Had mine 6 months, had the creaking from door seals but no big deal really, this has been sorted. Also had a poor fitting door rubber which was changed. Quite happy really.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I've never had these squeaking seals, thank God. The car has been perfect (I know I've done it now....)

I never expect in car tech such as car play to work and don't bother with it, it's not why you buy an M car, is it? I used online entertainment that was a bit flaky but didn't spoil the car as it's not a core reason to buy one.
      10-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was chasing down a buzzing (that turned out to be the wireless charging gubbins) so tried putting gummi on the door seals anyway ... didn’t help ... obviously
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #19
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
Hi,

... the wireless charger is one (which I covered in felt tape to fix .. the other was a rattle in plastic trim against the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. This one took me ages to find but is now sorted (bit more felt tape)
Where did you put the felt? Mine seems to be related to the spring tension which only stops when the phone is in.

Thanks.
      10-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #20
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
Where did you put the felt? Mine seems to be related to the spring tension which only stops when the phone is in.

Thanks.
I noticed mine stopped when I put pressure on the central part which seemed to be buzzing against the outer plastic piece (hard to explain!!) - so I taped them together - basically around the edges and it stopped it.
Appreciate 1
gatsojon498.00