Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

2018 AW F80 6MT ZEC/ZCP - Took Delivery A Few Weeks Ago... Finally Posting Pics

Hi everyone, after what seemed like an eternity of a wait, I took delivery of my US spec F80 a few weekends ago.

Alpine White
Extended Black Leather
6MT
ZEC
ZCP w/19s

All the doubts I had about my build configuration, esp exterior color and wheels, were instantly gone the second I saw the car for the first time. During the eternal wait, I debated if I should switch to a different color (I was worried white would be too boring), and was torn by the new black 666 wheels, which at the time of my order had not been released yet. I never liked the silver 666s, but was very impressed with how they look in black. I just didn't want 20" wheels. Also, I chalked it up to bad luck/timing that there were reports of people getting the full adaptive hexagonal lights for free without the ZEC package, which was one of the driving factors for getting the package (but more to come on that later).

Nevertheless, I still can not get over how good the AW looks with the CFRP roof and black 19" wheels. I've always liked the current generation 3-series front lights and fascia, and the F80 aero, hood, black trim, and full-adaptive LCI headlights take it to another level. Also, the first day I got it, I swapped out the front reflectors for painted ones. I had those things for weeks before I got the car.

As of this morning, I have less than 300 miles. Post-delivery was not without its hiccups. On day three of ownership, with around 100 miles on the odometer, the CEL came on. Car went in to service for warranty work, and it was not until over a week later I got the car back. After much diagnosis and testing, and several days of back and forth between the dealership and the UK tech center (or whatever it's called), they narrowed it down to a bad spark plug from the factory which was throwing a cylinder misfire code. It was a very frustrating ordeal, but (a) not my first BMW so not a complete surprise, and (b) after a very direct conversation with the service manager, things progressed very swiftly until resolution.

Also, I have purposely not posted any pictures of the rear of the car. Since this is a US spec car, it requires rear amber turn signals and the rear fog lamp to pass MOT. So in this situation, I have probably come out ahead in the long run... the good news is that the dealership switched out the entire rear light system with euro-spec units with amber turn signals at no cost to me. The US-spec lights are sitting in boxes in the trunk. Score!!! The bad news is that they installed the absolute most horrific rear fog lamp. It's the large rectangular type you see on older cars hanging below the rear bumper on a bracket, just total junk and the cheapest part off the shelf. I only need it until I leave next summer, but I just cannot stand it and am planning on replacing it with something else, anything else, soon.

Anyways, all in all, I love this car. It's putting a smile on my face every time I drive it, I'm taking the long way home and to work, and I've been getting loads of compliments on the color and configuration. Performance is way more than I need, and it is loads of fun to drive around, even while still in break-in period. I've also had the family in for some drives around town (wife and two younguns - one infant and one in a booster), so it's already proven practical for domestic duties.

I'm still getting used to all the features, as this is quite a leap forward from the last new car I bought tech-wise, so there is crap ton of new features and automatic this's and thats which I still need to get accustomed to. I'm loving the HUD... I managed to snap a decent picture of it in the M view. Well worth the ZEC for the HUD alone IMO.

Really the only thing I am pondering next at the moment is to get some paint protection on this beast... wasn't planning on it originally, but this car just needs to be clean to fully appreciate it's beauty!

EDIT: I lied, I'll probably also tint up the windows at some point, but it will likely be done after I get back to the States.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i

Last edited by stooker; 10-18-2017 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
AnthonyR229.00
      10-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Hi everyone, after what seemed like an eternity of a wait, I took delivery of my US spec F80 a few weekends ago.

Alpine White
Extended Black Leather
6MT
ZEC
ZCP w/19s

All the doubts I had about my build configuration, esp exterior color and wheels, were instantly gone the second I saw the car for the first time. During the eternal wait, I debated if I should switch to a different color (I was worried white would be too boring), and was torn by the new black 666 wheels, which at the time of my order had not been released yet. I never liked the silver 666s, but was very impressed with how they look in black. I just didn't want 20" wheels. Also, I chalked it up to bad luck/timing that there were reports of people getting the full adaptive hexagonal lights for free without the ZEC package, which was one of the driving factors for getting the package (but more to come on that later).

Nevertheless, I still can not get over how good the AW looks with the CFRP roof and black 19" wheels. I've always liked the current generation 3-series front lights and fascia, and the F80 aero and full-adaptive LCI headlights take it to another level. Also, the first day I got it, I swapped out the front reflectors for painted ones. I had those things for weeks before I got the car.

As of this morning, I have less than 300 miles. Post-delivery was not without its hiccups. On day three of ownership, with around 100 miles on the odometer, the CEL came on. Car went in to service for warranty work, and it was not until over a week later I got the car back. After much diagnosis and testing, and several days of back and forth between the dealership and the UK tech center (or whatever it's called), they narrowed it down to a bad spark plug from the factory which was throwing a cylinder misfire code. It was a very frustrating ordeal, but (a) not my first BMW so not a complete surprise, and (b) after a very direct conversation with the service manager, things progressed very swiftly until resolution.

Also, I have purposely not posted any pictures of the rear of the car. Since this is a US spec car, it requires rear amber turn signals and the rear fog lamp to pass MOT. So in this situation, I have probably come out ahead in the long run... the good news is that the dealership switched out the entire rear light system with euro-spec units with amber turn signals at no cost to me. The US-spec lights are sitting in boxes in the trunk. Score!!! The bad news is that they installed the absolute most horrific rear fog lamp. It's the large rectangular type you see on older cars hanging below the rear bumper on a bracket, just total junk and the cheapest part off the shelf. I only need it until I leave next summer, but I just cannot stand it and am planning on replacing it with something else, anything else, soon.

Anyways, all in all, I love this car. It's putting a smile on my face every time I drive it, I'm taking the long way home and to work, and I've been getting loads of compliments on the color and configuration. Performance is way more than I need, and it is loads of fun to drive around, even while still in break-in period. I've also had the family in for some drives around town (wife and two younguns - one infant and one in a booster), so it's already proven practical for domestic duties.

I'm still getting used to all the features, as this is quite a leap forward from the last new car I bought tech-wise, so there is crap ton of new features and automatic this's and thats which I still need to get accustomed to. I'm loving the HUD... I managed to snap a decent picture of it in the M view. Well worth the ZEC for the HUD alone IMO.

Really the only thing I am pondering next at the moment is to get some paint protection on this beast... wasn't planning on it originally, but this car just needs to be clean to fully appreciate it's beauty!
Lovely car mate, enjoy
      10-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Looks great.

Good write up too!