Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-19-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Track day Pics - Bedford Autodrome

I was over at Bedford GT circuit this past monday (the day we had half the Sahara in the sky making things interesting). First trackday since i fitted the H&R sport springs so i was hoping for some improvements in terms of cornering stance etc.. results were great, im sure full coilovers would take it to another level but there was a clear improvement over OEM setup in terms of body roll and cornering grip on the limit. Managed a 3:01, previous best was 3:17!! last time there a year ago on oem springs and pads (now running yellow stuff pads all round).

im not sure how to post pics now photobucket is screwed so heres a dropbox link.

if any of you are nervous of taking your cars on track then i 100% recommend Bedford as an ideal first track day. MASSIVE run off and really wide track so you have to do something pretty extreme to get into bother. loads of room to pass others and let the nutters through where needed.

I was there with a mate in his e60M5, pics of that beast in the folder also.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/efon28aek...fnHDQi1Ca?dl=0
AnthonyR229.00
      10-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Some brilliant photos there, thanks for sharing!
Jimbooo597.50
      10-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo-Wo View Post
Some brilliant photos there, thanks for sharing!
no worries, seeing an E60 M5 drifting was quite something lol. that thing is a phenomenal machine. 2 tonnes almost and i was only slightly faster in the twisties and couldn't catch it on the straight.
      10-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Looking very good.

How did the pads hold up? Took mine to Rockingham when new and I think the pads are ruined; they groan on heavy braking now. Was looking at RS29s but I could not handle any brake squeal so looking for other possibilities.
Jimbooo597.50
      10-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Y8HOO
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Looks good, thanks for sharing. Just posted some pics up in the GTS section from recent track days at SPA, how did your front tyres hold up?
Appreciate 1
Jimbooo597.50
      10-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Slips
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sakhir

Last track day I did was last year in my E60 M5, it was pretty quick on that back straight and the brakes held up all day. I've had my F80 M3 6 months but not done any trackdays in it yet. It's got the CCB package so quite keen to find out what they are like on track. The M3 deffo feels quicker to a ton but I think the V10 would walk away from over a ton. Prefer the M3 on the road though but what I have noticed is the M3 doesn't feel planted at high speeds like the M5 did. It's a bit hairy when putting the power down as well.

Agree Bedford is one of the safest tracks, thanks for sharing pics.
Try using Postimage, that's who I use now photbucket is not working.
Appreciate 2
Jimbooo597.50
      10-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
How did the pads hold up? Took mine to Rockingham when new and I think the pads are ruined; they groan on heavy braking now. Was looking at RS29s but I could not handle any brake squeal so looking for other possibilities.
Pads were great. Fitted in April and done a full day at Cadwell park a week after fitting, around 5000 road miles and a full day at Bedford. Now down to the bone and using the x5 until I can fit new pads next Monday. Seeing as they are half the price of oem pads and brake far better I'm more than happy with that. No squeal at all which is why I went for these over pagid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y8HOO View Post
Looks good, thanks for sharing. Just posted some pics up in the GTS section from recent track days at SPA, how did your front tyres hold up?
Great I'll have a look. Front tyres fine. I'm on four brand new supersports and not noticed any wear at all. I was letting air out all day as pressures rose trying to keep them around 32psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slips View Post
Last track day I did was last year in my E60 M5, it was pretty quick on that back straight and the brakes held up all day. I've had my F80 M3 6 months but not done any trackdays in it yet. It's got the CCB package so quite keen to find out what they are like on track. The M3 deffo feels quicker to a ton but I think the V10 would walk away from over a ton. Prefer the M3 on the road though but what I have noticed is the M3 doesn't feel planted at high speeds like the M5 did. It's a bit hairy when putting the power down as well.

Agree Bedford is one of the safest tracks, thanks for sharing pics.
Try using Postimage, that's who I use now photbucket is not working.
To be fair the m5 was only slightly pulling away on the straight. I guess I have the advantage out of the 40mph bend at the beginning. So over the 1km straight there's only maybe three hundred meters where you're doing 100-140 then slamming on the anchors for the chicane. The m4 out brakes the m5 so all in its very close. He did end up in the grass on 3 occasions which was entertaining. No damage. The run off is a real blessing there

I'll have a look at postimage. Cheers for the pointer
      10-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
Slips
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sakhir

Over a lap I would have thought the M4 would leave the E60 with all the braking and cornering plus the torque accelerating out of the corners. I took the M5 to Brands Indy and was getting beaten up by F80 M3/M4"s. It was a BMW M Power day. All good fun though.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:58 AM   #9
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slips View Post
Over a lap I would have thought the M4 would leave the E60 with all the braking and cornering plus the torque accelerating out of the corners. I took the M5 to Brands Indy and was getting beaten up by F80 M3/M4"s. It was a BMW M Power day. All good fun though.
sure thats correct. each lap i was ahead by around 10-20 seconds but purely because of the bends. you can see from the pics that the stock M5 is like a warm trifle round the tight bits lol. still impressive for a 2 tonne sofa with an F1 engine.