Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
Sorry to see this happen OP. Did this happen at the Gold's Gym downtown? I have seen a SO M4 there.
Actually, yes

Wow what a coincidence!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #24
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

The only thing that determines whether or not it shows up on Carfax is the body shop you take it to. For something as small as a bumper spray, that doesn't constitute a MVA. I had 2 cuts put in my paint for a paint protection film install from a crappy installer. Both rear quarters, roof and rear doors wear going to have to be sprayed and I was worried about a carfax. The body shop said they don't report parking lot bumps and scrapes because they're petty and don't constitute structural damage. However, when you sell the car, the dealer you trade to will ask you if the car has been repainted. That may or may not hurt you later. Just depends on the dealer.

On a side note, what dash cam are you using?
      03-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #25
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

That is horrible to watch. Probably is an argument to have a daily driver if you want to own a car like this. So even with the video the cops are acting like they won't do anything??

Similar story, 2 months before my M3 was here, I had a 335i that was about to be put on the market. No accidents, no dings, no paint issues save some rock chips on the front. I'm getting my hair cut one day, I can see my car from my chair, it's on the opposite side of the lot. There is a minivan right at the window I'm looking through, I watch this soccer mom walk up after picking up her kid from the neighboring Karate school. I sit and watch her throw her door open with NO regard to the car next to her, had it been 2 inches closer to her vehicle, it would have had a nasty ding.

I remember thinking, look at this self centered piece of trash. She proceeds to back out of her parking spot, which is in line with my spot, but two travel lanes away. I watch in horror as this women proceeds to continue to back up through the two lanes of traffic and smack my car. At that moment I wasn't completely sure I saw my car and hers move, she pulled away and I saw a scuff mark on the bumper, but it was the dead of winter and the scuff could have been someone rubbing on the salt laden body. That 5 seconds of indecisiveness cost me 800 bucks!!

Fast forward two weeks ago, I'm sitting getting gas and this lady gets in her car which is 20 feet in front of me at least. She proceeds to back up, I'm sitting there mindful of my vulnerable position, well she is way clear of her spot but keeps on coming, I jump the gas pump line, run up to the front of my car so she hits me and not the car and yelled LADY. lol She stops maybe 2' prior to hitting me (my calves are against my car) and I hear her say "I have mirrors a$$ hole". lol Yeah ya think I'm scarred. I'll get called an a$$hole every day for the rest of my life if I can stop idiots from hitting people and driving off.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #26
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Sucks! Let your insurance handle it... its what you are paying them for!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #27
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

That shit makes my blood boil! Hope u get things sorted ASAP and back on the road good as new!
      03-08-2017, 01:23 AM   #28
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i dont see how this is not a hit-n-run for people saying police have nothing to do.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #29
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

I'd find the guys details and put that up along with the video on social media - great if you could "share" it to the persons facebook friends...shame the owner into paying up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #30
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

My car was also backed into - the rear driver side door. It was repaired by a BMW certified collision center and they really did an undetectable terrific job. The damage was limited to the door which had to be replaced and blending the paint on the driver side. I highly suggest having it repaired at BMW.

After the work was complete I then filed my own 3rd party claim for diminished value with the other parties insurance company. I was reimbursed for a pretty significant loss of value. I found a diminished value appraiser online who specializes in diminished value claims. He got quotes from 6 different BMW dealerships in my area to determine loss of value based on the extent of the damage and likely resultant carfax. He then takes the average of the six quotes as loss of value.

I submitted the report to the insurance company and after some back and forth negotiations, it worked. Well worth it.

Last edited by badbimmer; 03-08-2017 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
faiz76.50
      03-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #31
Skid123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

+1 to call your insurance company. They are super diligent - insurance companies are really like legal gangster in some ways - and with your video evidence the other's insurance, if there is one, will simply take responsibility with little hassles. The claim won't affect your insurance rate I believe.

Do not deal with it privately...
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #32
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
So it happened... again. After my first parking lot hit and run, i decided to invest in a dual channel dash cam. The investment might have just paid for itself after someone backed into my car and fled the scene. I called the police and filed a hit and run report. I also found the same car the next day with damage to their bumper (dirt has been wiped from the bumper at the location of the damage). I called the police again and told them where the car was parked, but they just told me to call back the next morning and ask for a detective with all the evidence.

The annoying part of all this is that since the person fled, i was forced to create a police report. Which means that this "accident" will definitely be on carfax. Also, until the police track this person and find their insurance - i cannot get my car fixed. If i create a claim through my insurance, it will be considered a claim from me.

I have a few questions regarding this whole situation and would appreciate some input:

- I have been researching and found multiple sources stating that the factory paint is much more durable than a paint job from a body shop. Should i be worried about rock chips after the fix? Can it be repaired without respraying the entire bumper?

- Since a police report was created and bumper needs to be taken off and repainted, its reasonable to assume that the resale value of the car goes down. I was planning to buy the car after the lease, can i possibly expect a diminished value check from the other party's insurance?

- Will the body shop have issues with dealing with an after market carbon fibre splitter attached to the bumper?

The video below is edited with the youtube editor to blur the license which converted it to black and white for some reason.

The damage doesn't look that bad I would leave it.. no body shop seems to ever get the color right and your damage is so minimal.

I would pocket the money from the for the damage. I would try asking the driver of the other car for a cash settlement. If you go the insurance route you can still get cash but u will need to peruse a diminished value claim. I wouldn't prefer a car with a dirty carfax.
      03-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #33
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I am using a dual channel setup with a Thinkware F750 for the front
Appreciate 1
skalberti614.00
      03-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #34
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP SO/Amaro

I go there as well. I have seen your car there a few times and was just telling my gf last time i saw it you were brave to park your car in the middle of the lot with others. I usually park in the single spots or upstairs away from most cars.

Quote:
Actually, yes

Wow what a coincidence!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #35
cbems
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

file a claim with your insurance and give them the video. theyll track the other person down and recover your deductible.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #36
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
The only thing that determines whether or not it shows up on Carfax is the body shop you take it to. For something as small as a bumper spray, that doesn't constitute a MVA. I had 2 cuts put in my paint for a paint protection film install from a crappy installer. Both rear quarters, roof and rear doors wear going to have to be sprayed and I was worried about a carfax. The body shop said they don't report parking lot bumps and scrapes because they're petty and don't constitute structural damage. However, when you sell the car, the dealer you trade to will ask you if the car has been repainted. That may or may not hurt you later. Just depends on the dealer.

Not true. Carfax gets its information from police reports and DMV which is publicy accessible information.

Some body shops do report, but not all.

Here's a complete list:

https://www.carfax.com/company/vhr-data-sources
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #37
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

For all the people saying police won't care, the laws must be really different in the States than here. It would clearly be a charge of hit and run which in Canada at the very basic level is a Traffic Safety Offence with massive fines/demerits and possible driving prohibition and on the higher end can be a criminal offence under certain circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #38
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
For all the people saying police won't care, the laws must be really different in the States than here. It would clearly be a charge of hit and run which in Canada at the very basic level is a Traffic Safety Offence with massive fines/demerits and possible driving prohibition and on the higher end can be a criminal offence under certain circumstances.
It's not so much a question of the legality here, it's the severity of the crime and the resources the locality has to investigate and prosecute it (i.e. care about it).

If it was a felony hit and run, with an injury or damages over a certain amount, they'd pursue more aggressively. As a standalone misdemeanor this is something the insurance companies care about more than most busy police departments and prosecutors. Even the video suggests the driver was inattentive/inconsiderate more than malicious or reckless. In some States though, OP could even report the other driver to the DMV directly and they may assess points on their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #39
shoe3k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
You have the plate, but unless the video shows who was driving the other person could deny it was them in the drivers seat, and you end up with a you said/they said.
Not a chance. The insurance companies will be doing most of communication once they are involved. If the owner says he wasn't driving his "own" car when this incident happened then that is a battle he will have prove with his own insurance company. The OP's insurance will get their money no matter what fairy tale is being told to the insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #40
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe3k View Post
Not a chance. The insurance companies will be doing most of communication once they are involved. If the owner says he wasn't driving his "own" car when this incident happened then that is a battle he will have prove with his own insurance company. The OP's insurance will get their money no matter what fairy tale is being told to the insurance company.
That's part of what I mean, the insurance companies are going to battle this a lot more aggressively than a PD will investigate it. That's why OP definitely needs to file a claim sooner rather than later. As long as the OP has good insurance who's willing to bat for him, they'll try to get as much as they can out of the others.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #41
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Quote:
So it happened... again. After my first parking lot hit and run, i decided to invest in a dual channel dash cam. The investment might have just paid for itself after someone backed into my car and fled the scene. I called the police and filed a hit and run report. I also found the same car the next day with damage to their bumper (dirt has been wiped from the bumper at the location of the damage). I called the police again and told them where the car was parked, but they just told me to call back the next morning and ask for a detective with all the evidence.

The annoying part of all this is that since the person fled, i was forced to create a police report. Which means that this "accident" will definitely be on carfax. Also, until the police track this person and find their insurance - i cannot get my car fixed. If i create a claim through my insurance, it will be considered a claim from me.

I have a few questions regarding this whole situation and would appreciate some input:

- I have been researching and found multiple sources stating that the factory paint is much more durable than a paint job from a body shop. Should i be worried about rock chips after the fix? Can it be repaired without respraying the entire bumper?

- Since a police report was created and bumper needs to be taken off and repainted, its reasonable to assume that the resale value of the car goes down. I was planning to buy the car after the lease, can i possibly expect a diminished value check from the other party's insurance?

- Will the body shop have issues with dealing with an after market carbon fibre splitter attached to the bumper?

The video below is edited with the youtube editor to blur the license which converted it to black and white for some reason.

The damage doesn't look that bad I would leave it.. no body shop seems to ever get the color right and your damage is so minimal.

I would pocket the money from the for the damage. I would try asking the driver of the other car for a cash settlement. If you go the insurance route you can still get cash but u will need to peruse a diminished value claim. I wouldn't prefer a car with a dirty carfax.
While you're at it. Stop washing and waxing your car too. Look at all the savings you'd have.

Seriously, who wants to drive a damaged car?

Certainly not a gearhead.

You should sell your M, and get a civic.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      03-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #42
Lmonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

If you see the car another time, leave a note and tell them that they need to contact you ASAP as you filed a police report. This will only get worse for the Driver as the time goes on.

GET MAD - Stop asking questions, Get this fucker~!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #43
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Here is what I would do:
1. Take half of the advice offered by the internet with a grain of salt.
2. Ignore the other half.
3. I would ask for the police to contact the person who hit your car and notify them that you are going to be filing a claim against their insurance. Save the hit and run charges for if they decide be a dick about it.
4. Get a couple of quotes from the higher end body shops in town. Realistically if you go to a good body shop you'll likely have a better quality of paint than the factory finish.
5.Carfax is a crap shoot. Not likely that something this minor is going to diminish the value and even less likely that it would be enough to get their insurance to pay out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #44
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Ask PA PD if they can delete the report. not sure how it works in PA but it's worth a shot. That shit does happen sorry to see that. Most people don't give a shit. If you can afford to jump into another lease do it. Not sure if it's the best option though. Take off all of the carbon bits before going to the body shop. Carfax will not diminish the value but you will have a hell of a lot less interest in the car come resale time.
Appreciate 0