Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I've had M cars for the past 14 years - 01 M3, 05 M3, 08 M3, 11 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6 - due to the fact they are the best sporty, DD. While I'm in a 15 M3, the M cars have become much more mainstream than in the past plus the M engines are no longer unique.

So I think I've completed the "M car" bucket list. Time to move on to a few others -

Attainable Bucket List Cars -

911 GTS
Maserati GranTurismo MC

Later in life bucket list cars -

F430 or California
Audi R8 V10

Requirements -

- Can only be a single car. I dont have space for a 3rd car
- Must fit kids in the rear seats
- Budget up to $100k
- Prefer manual trans
- Needs to have a visceral experience or something that will "light my fire" while driving - like the S85 at WOT, S65 intake, GT exhaust note - something that makes you giggle.
- Needs to sound awesome - either engine note or exhaust
- Gotta do well at the back road drives, I dont track anymore

I'm leaning towards a 2012 GTS as I can pick one up at $75k, then maybe step up to a 2015 GTS down the road. However I've always wanted an GT MC and they have dropped to $65k for a nice 2013+ but the depreciation is pretty sad on those cars. Plus if I get the GT MC now, I can always pick up a 911 down the road but the GT MC with the N/A 4.7 is simply epic and its my only shot to own one now.

Anything else you would look at for a thrilling DD? I wish I could move to 2 cars - I would probably do a Boxter plus some sporty DD - but have to stick to 1 car for now.

Like they say.... "first world problems"
Camaro zl1 or Nissan GT-R . Audi TT-rs is another one I'm personally considering.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #24
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

M3 is the ideal family car that you also want to fling around some. the 991 is so amazing as a sports car but I wouldn't want to cart the kids around in one, personally. I have a camaro SS 1LE and it's a hassle so I only ever take 1 kid in it. back when I had my F80 we used to take the "fun car" everywhere as a family (of 4). I miss it for that but the 1LE is a more hard core ride and makes the M3 feel pretty soft. the 991 GTS would likely feel like $1M when ripping through roundabouts, but I'm not sure how much I would love it just bumping along to and from work ... I'd probably feel like I was wasting it 90% of the time. granted that 10% would be a real treat.

my plan is to get an M550i or X5 50i for commuting most days and a GT3 for the nicer days and track time. if I had to roll those two into a single car, i'd be back in an F80 or a C63S for sure.

edit: I forgot to mention that my plan involves me living in a snowy climate for part of the year so I'd rather have multiple vehicles that are geared towards certain strengths than trying to get an all-season car. but once again, the M3 does the jack-of-all-trades thing the best, IMO. 3 sets of wheels/tires though: commuting, track, and snow.

Appreciate 0