Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
asublime29
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

cquartz

Looking to cquatz my xpel covered car. I am wanting to do this myself. I can find cquarz or the UK edition to buy. Why can I not find cquartz finest or finest reserve? Is there a major difference in application? I get it that they save products for certified applicators but should be able to find... Any ideas?

Thx.

East PA. 2016 M4

RIP 11 E92, RPI Full System, ESS Kit, BPM Tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Finest is only sold through certified dealers. From my understanding some of those type products won't buff out if you make a mistake. If you've never applied a coating my strong suggestion would be not to play with those products.

Also you have a coating so you really only need a product to beef up the shine and repel water. I've tried many different products on mine and settled on a maintenance spray that's Silica based which is what most coatings consist of. It lasts about a solid 5 months here on the east coast. Application is wipe on and wipe off, wet or dry.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by asublime29 View Post
Looking to cquatz my xpel covered car. I am wanting to do this myself. I can find cquarz or the UK edition to buy. Why can I not find cquartz finest or finest reserve? Is there a major difference in application? I get it that they save products for certified applicators but should be able to find... Any ideas?

Thx.
UK is a consumer coating that you can buy. It was designed to be applied in colder climates. Finest is a pro install only coating.

As stated, just grabbing a coating and going to town with it can cause issues if you have never installed one. I would stop by your local installer and pay to have it installed, or test it out on something until you are comfortable with it.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
asublime29
Private
Rep

Thanks all, LAMF, what is the product that you settled on?

East PA. 2016 M4

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz

It's by far the best I've used, the shine and water beading is nuts. Use it for the whole car.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
asublime29
Private
Rep

Thanks

Thanks I will give it a shot! appreciate it!

East PA. 2016 M4

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
You won't be Disappointed, just make sure you have the correct type of micro fiber towels and was immediately after.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
AtlantisF80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2008 328i

I put CQuartz on my car. I think you will be ok as long as you follow the instructions which is what I did. However, if you forget to wipe off the product, it will leave a light haze on it. It won't come off until I assume 2 years which is purportedly how long the product adheres to your car. But the haze is only visible at an angle and when the light hits it. (You may be able to try using a clay bar to remove it and reapply but I didn't bother since it is fine to me. The haze was in small areas when I did a 2nd application of the product and forgot to wipe it off.) I decided on applying CQuartz because of its scratch resistant properties.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
asublime29
Private
Rep

Thanks..

Yeah, I am up in the air about doing myself or just having my local guy do it. Seems like something I dont want to mess up. I can make things go fast, just not so great at making them shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Finest is only sold through certified dealers. From my understanding some of those type products won't buff out if you make a mistake. If you've never applied a coating my strong suggestion would be not to play with those products.

Also you have a coating so you really only need a product to beef up the shine and repel water. I've tried many different products on mine and settled on a maintenance spray that's Silica based which is what most coatings consist of. It lasts about a solid 5 months here on the east coast. Application is wipe on and wipe off, wet or dry.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloo818 View Post
I put CQuartz on my car. I think you will be ok as long as you follow the instructions which is what I did. However, if you forget to wipe off the product, it will leave a light haze on it. It won't come off until I assume 2 years which is purportedly how long the product adheres to your car. But the haze is only visible at an angle and when the light hits it. (You may be able to try using a clay bar to remove it and reapply but I didn't bother since it is fine to me. The haze was in small areas when I did a 2nd application of the product and forgot to wipe it off.) I decided on applying CQuartz because of its scratch resistant properties.

East PA. 2016 M4

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

over the counter coatings are decent, a pro version is definitely better all the way around.
Modesta, Gtechnique, Cquartz, Kamakazi are probably the best around, Modesta leads the pack.
Appreciate 1