Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

10-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #45
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
And to start to circle back on the loop on my own thread, have now learned my car is 150 status and I have a VIN.

Time to really start the fun.
      11-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #46
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
You are welcome. I just hope I am not doing people a dis-service because now you will get even more frustrated with the wait.

Back when in the dinosaur's age (actually maybe just 15 years ago), you would accept it when the dealers told you it takes 2 months to ship your car. Now, with the internet, you can see every step of the way and of the 2 months, I can see that 5.5 weeks are spent waiting. Real travel time, 3 weeks tops.

But glad BMW Canada was able to help. Enjoy your new ride and share pics, my friend

FINALLY, i got my VIN # TODAY, which i placed my order on 10th oct, 2014.

but... what's next tho? i tried to use the useful links sunnyboy mentioned, but nothing comes up
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #47
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow View Post
FINALLY, i got my VIN # TODAY, which i placed my order on 10th oct, 2014.

but... what's next tho? i tried to use the useful links sunnyboy mentioned, but nothing comes up
So the VIN decoder link won't work until the car is actually produced (it seems to take actual information from BMW, but once it works it is neat and very detailed - will even give you a PDF with all the codes, etc, for your car along with some photos of what it should look like, etc).

You can call the BMW Canada number now and get the exact production date (or your SA can get that).

After that, the shipping information link won't show anything until the vehicle is actually received by the shipping company. (I am currently in between the factory and port, so am waiting on getting some information on the shipment)

AS others noted, once it hits Canadian shores you probably need someone with CN rail access to track it across the country.
      11-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #48
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
So the VIN decoder link won't work until the car is actually produced (it seems to take actual information from BMW, but once it works it is neat and very detailed - will even give you a PDF with all the codes, etc, for your car along with some photos of what it should look like, etc).

You can call the BMW Canada number now and get the exact production date (or your SA can get that).

After that, the shipping information link won't show anything until the vehicle is actually received by the shipping company. (I am currently in between the factory and port, so am waiting on getting some information on the shipment)

AS others noted, once it hits Canadian shores you probably need someone with CN rail access to track it across the country.
deeply appreciated for the detailed explanation.
but... a pdf / photos? is it provided by dealer or what? i've also asked SA but she said system down and gv me further info next week, do u guys have the BMW canada # handy? i may call and ask.

so in general, having a vin # is just a beginning of the story, nothing comes close to production done or so?

i guess delivery may happen by end of dec (hopefully not a snowy day), or i may request dealer to mount snow tires for me right away upon the day of delivery

and congrates to u too, what did u order f80 or f82? delivery in late nov?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #49
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
deeply appreciated for the detailed explanation.
but... a pdf / photos? is it provided by dealer or what? i've also asked SA but she said system down and gv me further info next week, do u guys have the BMW canada # handy? i may call and ask.

so in general, having a vin # is just a beginning of the story, nothing comes close to production done or so?

i guess delivery may happen by end of dec (hopefully not a snowy day), or i may request dealer to mount snow tires for me right away upon the day of delivery

and congrates to u too, what did u order f80 or f82? delivery in late nov?
The PDF is just a fact sheet on the car generated by the 'vin decoder' website. The photos aren't real, just generated (like what you would see on the website after you build it). Still, it is quite detailed and something to read while we wait anyway.

At the moment, I am not sure how long delivery will take. 2 years ago I built an MB Wagon that was built Nov 15 and arrived in Calgary on Dec 27. However, from the discussion above (and elsewhere in this forum/thread) it seems BMW might be a bit slower on the logistics (or at least were earlier this year). Lots of stories of cars sitting in Halifax for weeks waiting for a train, etc.

So I really don't know how long it will actually take once it gets on a ship. I would like mine here by xmas but...we'll see (mine had a build date of Oct 27, so should be possible)

As for what it is, here is the thread (it is the 'lucy' referenced in my signature): http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1029768

And I will absolutely be getting snow tires put on right away, either by dealer or someone else.

What is your build like?
      11-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #50
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
The PDF is just a fact sheet on the car generated by the 'vin decoder' website. The photos aren't real, just generated (like what you would see on the website after you build it). Still, it is quite detailed and something to read while we wait anyway.

At the moment, I am not sure how long delivery will take. 2 years ago I built an MB Wagon that was built Nov 15 and arrived in Calgary on Dec 27. However, from the discussion above (and elsewhere in this forum/thread) it seems BMW might be a bit slower on the logistics (or at least were earlier this year). Lots of stories of cars sitting in Halifax for weeks waiting for a train, etc.

So I really don't know how long it will actually take once it gets on a ship. I would like mine here by xmas but...we'll see (mine had a build date of Oct 27, so should be possible)

As for what it is, here is the thread (it is the 'lucy' referenced in my signature): http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1029768

And I will absolutely be getting snow tires put on right away, either by dealer or someone else.

What is your build like?

i also dont expect to receive any good news from dealer before xmas or end of 2014 invoice shows ETA is end of dec, but probably around 1st or 2nd week of January? who knows oh well.

hope we both can get the ride asap, but u reside in Calgary, so u may get your ride earlier than Toronto dealers? too bad we can't meet up or else it will have good cool contrast (Tanzanite Blue vs Mineral White)

we both have 1 identical interest, manual shifters haha... I've PM my built to u
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #51
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - SO/SS, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
i also dont expect to receive any good news from dealer before xmas or end of 2014 invoice shows ETA is end of dec, but probably around 1st or 2nd week of January? who knows oh well.

hope we both can get the ride asap, but u reside in Calgary, so u may get your ride earlier than Toronto dealers? too bad we can't meet up or else it will have good cool contrast (Tanzanite Blue vs Mineral White)

we both have 1 identical interest, manual shifters haha... I've PM my built to u
Hey!

Yeah, you really don't get much out of the VIN until production is done. You can know your production date via your Sales Rep. On their AG status info details, they can see the "Actual Production Week". This will be your week that your car will complete production. Once it hits "Vehicle Status" 90 - Dispatched - Exit AG, then your car is sent to the shipping company. Now, how long it sits at the dock, who knows and it won't show up on the shipping company until it is registered for shipment. I waited 4 weeks from status 90 to actually showing up on the shipping company's site.

So, at this time, get the "Actual Production Week" from your Sales Rep. Then you will know when you can check the VIN decoder for your car's detail (rendered image + pdf configuration). That is the very first point of your life of tracking your car.

I would estimate, from time of complete production, to arrival, depending on wait time, will be between 6-8 weeks. Once you can track on the shipping company, then it will likely be about 4-5 weeks out.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #52
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

Yeah, you really don't get much out of the VIN until production is done. You can know your production date via your Sales Rep. On their AG status info details, they can see the "Actual Production Week". This will be your week that your car will complete production. Once it hits "Vehicle Status" 90 - Dispatched - Exit AG, then your car is sent to the shipping company. Now, how long it sits at the dock, who knows and it won't show up on the shipping company until it is registered for shipment. I waited 4 weeks from status 90 to actually showing up on the shipping company's site.

So, at this time, get the "Actual Production Week" from your Sales Rep. Then you will know when you can check the VIN decoder for your car's detail (rendered image + pdf configuration). That is the very first point of your life of tracking your car.

I would estimate, from time of complete production, to arrival, depending on wait time, will be between 6-8 weeks. Once you can track on the shipping company, then it will likely be about 4-5 weeks out.

Cheers.

thanks again sunnyboy for detail breakdown on the timeline.

arghhh that's a freaking long wait, contacted the sales this morning, she only gave me the VIN # and pointed out the BMW AG system was down or sth, unable to pull up any info until next week

i placed the order at the beginning of oct, and now its only nov (the longest 30 days ever, but.. another 60 days to go at least ) dang!!!!!

it's just pathetic, why they only keep DCT cars in stock omg, none of the upcoming shipments (oct & nov) have 6 speed only DCT with tons load of options
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #53
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No worries... keep checking with your sales rep and they should be able to notify you once they see the VIN in their system. Then...

To track your car's details:
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

To track when your car gets on a boat and when it gets discharged:
https://offices.2wglobal.com/offices...uickSearchPage

Then to track the vessel's voyage through terrestrial AIS:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Once it gets to Canada, you will need to find a friend who has CN rail access to get a date for when it gets on a train and moved to you vicinity. Check this forum, there are those here that can help.

Once it is near your vicinity, you can track the trucking to the dealership:
https://www.lhf.com/

(DISCLAIMER - At least this was the way I tracked my car from Germany to Toronto. I know they sometimes can ship using a different company or truck direct without rails. So, this has not accounted for those variances)

Hopes this helps.

great resources!!!

able to track mine thru the links you provided. ETA to Halifax on 24-11-2014... hope it loads to dealer by early Dec
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #54
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
great resources!!!

able to track mine thru the links you provided. ETA to Halifax on 24-11-2014... hope it loads to dealer by early Dec
Glad to be helpful.

One thing to note, the terrestrial AIS will not show you anything while the boat is crossing the ocean, as it is not close enough to any land. However, if your boat is Halifax bound for Nov 24 (Monday), I would start checking again on Nov 21 (Friday). My boat (back in Sept) actually made it to Nova Scotia shores on Friday, but did not dock till Monday. You can imagine how pissed I was watching the boat go round and round in circle just off the tip of Nova Scotia.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #55
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Glad to be helpful.

One thing to note, the terrestrial AIS will not show you anything while the boat is crossing the ocean, as it is not close enough to any land. However, if your boat is Halifax bound for Nov 24 (Monday), I would start checking again on Nov 21 (Friday). My boat (back in Sept) actually made it to Nova Scotia shores on Friday, but did not dock till Monday. You can imagine how pissed I was watching the boat go round and round in circle just off the tip of Nova Scotia.
No kidding. Mine is due in Halifax on Nov 19

Anyone have any sense or experience lately in how CN is doing on the shipping? Are those looooong delays from the summer cleared up now?
      12-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #56
Lantern Rouge
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
No worries... keep checking with your sales rep and they should be able to notify you once they see the VIN in their system. Then...

To track your car's details:
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

To track when your car gets on a boat and when it gets discharged:
https://offices.2wglobal.com/offices...uickSearchPage

Then to track the vessel's voyage through terrestrial AIS:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Once it gets to Canada, you will need to find a friend who has CN rail access to get a date for when it gets on a train and moved to you vicinity. Check this forum, there are those here that can help.

Once it is near your vicinity, you can track the trucking to the dealership:
https://www.lhf.com/

(DISCLAIMER - At least this was the way I tracked my car from Germany to Toronto. I know they sometimes can ship using a different company or truck direct without rails. So, this has not accounted for those variances)

Hopes this helps.
So I'm wondering if anyone has managed to track a car across Canada to Vancouver? My M3 was unloaded in Halifax earlier today and I've been able to track it's journey so far. Any clues on how to find someone with CN rail tracking? I've got my fingers crossed for a pre-Xmas delivery...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #57
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Rouge View Post
So I'm wondering if anyone has managed to track a car across Canada to Vancouver? My M3 was unloaded in Halifax earlier today and I've been able to track it's journey so far. Any clues on how to find someone with CN rail tracking? I've got my fingers crossed for a pre-Xmas delivery...
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1013703

@E92LNGCGY is a very helpful member in our bimmer forum, as well as @sunnyboy, without their contribution and support, many of us have no idea how to trace or track the status of our new toy
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #58
Lantern Rouge
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

@E92LNGCGY is a very helpful member in our bimmer forum, as well as @sunnyboy, without their contribution and support, many of us have no idea how to trace or track the status of our new toy
Thanks Woosolow!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #59
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

E92LNGCGY is a very helpful member in our bimmer forum, as well as sunnyboy, without their contribution and support, many of us have no idea how to trace or track the status of our new toy
Thanks for the kind words @woosolow. Unfortunately I only do the talk. @E92LNGCGY actually can do the talk and the walk!! He is the master and I am so thankful there are such great members on this forum!

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #60
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

No problem. I know how everyone feels because I was also in the same situation. Asking the dealer about status is pointless once the car arrives Halifax because they just don't know.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #61
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
No problem. I know how everyone feels because I was also in the same situation. Asking the dealer about status is pointless once the car arrives Halifax because they just don't know.
Asking the dealer about status is pointless once the car leaves the factory!! you mean!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #62
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Asking the dealer about status is pointless once the car leaves the factory!! you mean!
Lol. I guess your experience was even worst than most. They lost track once it got Halifax.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #63
chicochico
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Thanks for all of this. My baby is in Halifax today!!! Come to papa!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #64
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Let me the next to send out major props to @e92lngcgy. Not only did he guide my car across the country (Halifax to YYC) but he put up with my incessant commentary while he probably had much better things to do.

For future reference, here is the rough timeline for my Calgary bound build:

- Ordered August 30, 2014 (knew and told would be an October/November build)
- Went to 'status 50' (or 150 to the Americans) on October 15, set for Week 44 build.
- Actual production day: October 25 (week 44)
- Left the factory for port: October 30
- Shipped from Bremerhaven: November 10
- Arrived in Halifax: November 20
- Left Halifax on CN: November 27
- Moved along but was held up in Winnipeg between December 3 and December 10
- Arrived in Calgary: December 13
- Scheduled to make it to dealer: December 18 (CA trying to get this moved up)
- Delivery to me: ....? Looking like Saturday the 20th or Monday 22nd. If not, won't be till January (as I am gone over xmas)

All in all, it will be a little under 4 months from order to delivery or about 2 months from production to delivery.

In that time, the only 'bad' or unexpected delay was the week long hang-up in Winnipeg (which is hardly terrible).

Could have been worse (my car went over these tracks almost exactly 24 hours earlier than these unlucky folks) http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1068564)
      12-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #65
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochico View Post
Thanks for all of this. My baby is in Halifax today!!! Come to papa!
congratez bro!!! woohoo!!! another GTA owner
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #66
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
congratez bro!!! woohoo!!! another GTA owner
Congrats @chicochico.

Its about 2 weeks from Halifax to getting to the dealers in GTA...

And Grats @myzmak

welcome both to the M family.

BTW, @woosolow, pics buddy!!
Appreciate 0