proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

08-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

ASD

Coded it off yesterday, went for a drive. I need it back on! I don't have one of the anti-social exhaust systems, and you can't have the window down above 80-100 kph. You need it on to hear where you're at through the twisty bits!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Dont do it , leave it off
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

I've got a comp pack. I don't know what normal M3/4 asd sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

I've tried this too, you lose all Intake noise

Once I get my awe Intake on I'll be keen to try it again
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Yup coded ASD off on my 17 LCI2 and it sounds terrible without it.

I believe there was an update at some point in the past year ‘fixing’ ASD. Perhaps this was a CP ASD version setup differently to work with the CP exhaust.

At the moment with it off, even with MPE, it’s so quiet inside with the windows up. The thing I notice most is complete lack of sound on downshifts in 3-7th gears.

With ASD off, it actually seems as though the MPE is quieter. Kept making me think it was the GTS DCT coding or something, but it’s gota be lack of ASD.

Need it back on ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Yup coded ASD off on my 17 LCI2 and it sounds terrible without it.

I believe there was an update at some point in the past year ‘fixing’ ASD. Perhaps this was a CP ASD version setup differently to work with the CP exhaust.

At the moment with it off, even with MPE, it’s so quiet inside with the windows up. The thing I notice most is complete lack of sound on downshifts in 3-7th gears.

With ASD off, it actually seems as though the MPE is quieter. Kept making me think it was the GTS DCT coding or something, but it’s gota be lack of ASD.

Need it back on ASAP.

Just do this

Attached Images

Last edited by Alpine*; 08-05-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

I’ve got the MPE. The exhaust isn’t the issue.

The cars are so heavily insulated these days that unless you are windows down in a corridor, it’s hard to hear it properly.

ASD is intended to bring some of that atmosphere into the cabin. Historically ASD has sounded terribly artificial, but I didn’t really notice that with the M3. Still I coded it off because everyone swears you must.

I’ve since found out about the updates to the ASD software sound, and my car came with that updated version, which is likely why I didn’t mind it. Hence, I’ll have it coded on again.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

I don't understand all the ASD hate to be honest.

To me it brings the burbles and theatrics of the MPE into the cabin and makes it more enjoyable.

Too raw and noisy - people won't be happy - to comfortable and luxurious then the people will complain.

The ASD try's to find the middle. I just don't understand why BMW doesn't put the option to turn it off in idrive.

Last edited by drgmt; 08-05-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is where the Carly obd dongle and phone app comes in handy - no need to get out the laptop, coding is a 2 minute job on side of the road

Yes I remember the downshift throttle blip was gone with asd off, so strange

Asd in first gen was pretty bad, seems a lot better on zcp to point where I didn't even notice it when I first drove the car

Big fan of armytrix, did wonders for sound on my old s3, but on the f80 it sounds like crap. Mpe + zcp burbles is as good as you're going to get this engine to sound imo
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

It has nothing to do with ZCP and non-ZCP! It's the software version your car is running. I've noticed the changes in ASD through three different software updates that my car had since picking it up in Feb 16. The most recent one is the best as it's much less fake!

I have the app to turn ASD off and to control the exhaust flap. I turned it off and turned it back on within 10 seconds!
      09-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #11
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

installed the awe intake last weekend, so i turned off the asd - have since removed the intake but that's a story for a sale thread coming soon lol

i wasn't a fan of having the asd off prior, but i pushed through a whole week with it off

i turned it back on on way home tonight and i absolutely hated the constant vibration/buzzing, i got used to how much quieter and comfortable the cabin is without it in efficiency mode just driving to/from work in a relaxed mood

it's also made me appreciate how good the zcp + mpe sounds in sport/sport+ - having a sunroof helps here, as with it tilted open you get that much needed exhaust sound inside the car

i'll be leaving it off now, and cycling the exhaust whenever i want more sound
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep

The whole point of having it on - and I have no experience with modded intake or exhaust - is when you're pushing 10/10ths, you need the aural clues to shift points. Twisty corners demand your attention and you can't afford to be up on the limiter.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

I turned it back on last week after 2-3 weeks with it off.

The main reason I wanted it back on was to hear blips on downshift.

The car is much quieter inside, in a good way generally, but I hated not hearing the ‘car’.

I get that it’s fake noise, but it adds to the experience, even with MPE.

I’m sure I am wrong here, but I am sure the MPE seems louder with ASD on.

To me that’s the updated version of ASD being better integrated and rear focused.

I’ll be leaving it on as I don’t drive my M3 daily (GLC for that).
Appreciate 0