Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

09-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
skillick
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Moving down under...

Hello all,

My family and I will in the next few months be moving to Australia. It will initially be on a 4 year contract, but in all reality it is likely to become a permanent move.

We'll be based in the Brisbane area, so I'm hugely looking forward to the much improved climate than here in the UK.

As it became clearer that the move was coming, I cancelled an order earlier in the year for a LCI M4, as I didn't want the hassle of trying to sell/hand back after only a year.

As we will be moving for minimum 4 years, I'd quite like to get myself an M4 (or possibly an M3).

With that in mind, I have a few questions...

1. What is an approx lead time for a new car order... knowing it has considerably further to ship!
2. Is there a recommended dealership that people have used in the Brisbane area?
3. Do I have to buy in QLD? Or can I buy elsewhere if a better deal can be had and simply pay the QLD taxes?

I've mentally prepared myself for the higher cost of the car, came as a bit of a shock when I first saw it!

Any other advice on buying would be appreciated too!

Cheers,
Stuart
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

You'll certainly experience better weather. Just be prepared for the shocking humidity up there.

I believe it's about 5-6 weeks for shipping from Europe. Can't speak for dealership shenanigans here vs UK though and how that adds to lead time. It certainly seems like they take their sweet time in getting it ready for collection with every car I've ever bought. I've waited up to 2 weeks after the car arrived at the dealership before I could collect on more than one occasion.

Depending on what you want you may find one already in Aus though. There was a brand new one of my exact spec just arrived in the country when I ordered so in theory only a short lead time from signing the contract to having it shipped to the dealer. That said, I signed the damn contract a week ago and still don't have a date when it will arrive at my dealer from storage in Vic. Very frustrating.

You can buy interstate. You just have to get it registered in your state. I looked at this with a 328 a few years back. I was going to have it trucked up to me from a Vic dealer then register it in NSW. Ended up just paying slightly more for one in NSW to avoid the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
Lister
Jimjamz
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillick View Post
Hello all,

My family and I will in the next few months be moving to Australia. It will initially be on a 4 year contract, but in all reality it is likely to become a permanent move.

We'll be based in the Brisbane area, so I'm hugely looking forward to the much improved climate than here in the UK.

As it became clearer that the move was coming, I cancelled an order earlier in the year for a LCI M4, as I didn't want the hassle of trying to sell/hand back after only a year.

As we will be moving for minimum 4 years, I'd quite like to get myself an M4 (or possibly an M3).

With that in mind, I have a few questions...

1. What is an approx lead time for a new car order... knowing it has considerably further to ship!
2. Is there a recommended dealership that people have used in the Brisbane area?
3. Do I have to buy in QLD? Or can I buy elsewhere if a better deal can be had and simply pay the QLD taxes?

I've mentally prepared myself for the higher cost of the car, came as a bit of a shock when I first saw it!

Cheers,
Stuart
Welcome downunder

You can buy anywhere just pay the registration for QLD after three months.

You are going to have some epic drives - make sure you post some pics.

Congrats on the car!
2001 E46 330i Sedan Silver
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillick View Post
Hello all,

Cheers,
Stuart
In the next few months, there might be some 2017 run-out deals or end of year deals that you might be able to pick up.

One thing to be aware of, is that all M3/4's here are very highly optioned as standard (that's why the cost is so high - as well as our luxury car tax) so you may not need to order a new one - you could get one that's already in stock and new.

I picked up my M4 as a demonstrator and saved over $50k, with only 3,000km.
With my 335, it was new, but I was able to save $30, as it was at the end of a sales quarter and there was an LCI model coming.

Another place to look for advice, is this forum: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/133?g=275

I have seen what people are paying for 140's and it was quite a bit less than retail.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
skillick
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies so far guys, all useful information. I'm just starting the investigations in to how things work down there with buying cars, so it's all good to know!

mmmmQuattro - Thanks for the tip on the cars being highly specced as standard. Just had a quick look and there are very few options to choose compared to here in the UK, which as you say, partially explains the higher price. I bought my current X4 as an ex-demonstrator so not against doing the same with an M3/4. Does the LCT still apply if a car is already registered?

I'm heading over to Brisbane in a couple of weeks time for vacation and to sort some paperwork, then back again at New Year for a longer stay before the permanent move, so will try and speak to some dealers and see what they've got or can get.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
From what i recall, new or demonstrator from a dealer, you will need to pay LCT.

also on that whirlpool forum, there is a M3 what did you pay thread - seems like $135 is rock bottom for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
mark3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77 View Post
You'll certainly experience better weather. Just be prepared for the shocking humidity up there.

I believe it's about 5-6 weeks for shipping from Europe. Can't speak for dealership shenanigans here vs UK though and how that adds to lead time. It certainly seems like they take their sweet time in getting it ready for collection with every car I've ever bought. I've waited up to 2 weeks after the car arrived at the dealership before I could collect on more than one occasion.

Depending on what you want you may find one already in Aus though. There was a brand new one of my exact spec just arrived in the country when I ordered so in theory only a short lead time from signing the contract to having it shipped to the dealer. That said, I signed the damn contract a week ago and still don't have a date when it will arrive at my dealer from storage in Vic. Very frustrating.

You can buy interstate. You just have to get it registered in your state. I looked at this with a 328 a few years back. I was going to have it trucked up to me from a Vic dealer then register it in NSW. Ended up just paying slightly more for one in NSW to avoid the hassle.
Hi Did you order a new m3 or 4 did you trade your 328, good to see cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #8
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3 View Post
Quote:

Hi Did you order a new m3 or 4 did you trade your 328, good to see cheers
New one. We can do our own Central Coast meets. It's those black tips you sold me. Never got round to fitting them like you and then decided to upgrade anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
mark3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
New one. We can do our own Central Coast meets. It's those black tips you sold me. Never got round to fitting them like you and then decided to upgrade anyway
What did you get ,what color did you get comp pack or pure cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What did you get ,what color did you get comp pack or pure cheers
Black competition pack with black 666m wheels. Should have it in 2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
mark3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

nice black wheels look good did you get it locally ? what options did you get ,did you gret it built or a in stock car,let me no if interested im selling gen rear spoiler in carbopn and also rear diffuser carbon non gen cheers

Last edited by mark3; 09-16-2017 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: more text
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
nice black wheels look good did you get it locally ? what options did you get ,did you gret it built or a in stock car,let me no if interested im selling gen rear spoiler in carbopn and also rear diffuser carbon non gen cheers
Getting the front lip which I'll end up painting BSM and the CF diffuser. Looking at after market spoilers and will likely get the Akra exhaust at some point. It's bran new car only recently landed so it's the LCI 2
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
mark3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Getting the front lip which I'll end up painting BSM and the CF diffuser. Looking at after market spoilers and will likely get the Akra exhaust at some point. It's bran new car only recently landed so it's the LCI 2
yer im getting mine from rw carbon ,vorsteiner rear spoiler and diffuser ,have m performance atm but changing them
Appreciate 0