Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-12-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
Dranthonyrega
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Random Misfire at high rpm

Hey guys

Cant figure this out nor the shop. Track car stock engine.

At only high rpm’s every couple of track days it throws a misfire code. Cylinder 1 or on time multiple. Rrstart the car and it fine.

Coils, plugs and pvc changed and still happens. Car doesn’t hesitate or anything prior to limb mode.

73 K on the motor. Idles smooth and full of power. Never on track fuel. I bring fuel with me and never go out below 3/4 tank.

Yesterday I literally restarted the car while rolling on the track and ran 6 fast laps with no issue after limp
Mode.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:02 PM   #2
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Have you replaced your intercooler? Mine on my 2018 leaked very slowly, like it would take 5-6 months to drain and throw a code for dry charge coolant, but it was still enough to cause what I though was a random misfire after id replaced plugs, coils, whole shebang. My J-pipe even looked dry when I would check to see if there was evidence of coolant. My only hint towards it leaking ever so slightly was that I'd see small air bubbles in the charge coolant expansion tank when the engine was running.

Replaced it with a Mishimoto unit and all issues are resolved. No more small bubbles with the cap off, no more misfires.

It's certainly worth looking into. My leak was so small that I left it filled with water and capped off for a couple of hours and it didn't noticeably leak at all. But if you put a lot of pressure to it (like a high boost situation or pressure test) it can find those leaks and make them more pronounced.
Appreciate 0